• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'm looking for recommendations on a good place to get some lessons for my son around Indy.

He's 10, 5'3", 135#, a strong kid, his upper body strength is very left hand biased, but right eye dominant.

I've been teaching him shooting rifles and pistols right handed since he was 7, and he's pretty good at it.

But I'm not so sure about how comfortable him drawing a bow using weak hand.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Honestly the best way to be proficient at it is to jump in and start shooting. He will become accustomed to it before long.

I am right hand/left eye dominant due to an injury at a young age. I was an archer from a very young age (6ish) and competed for several years until 9/10ish. I lost sight in my right eye. Dad immediately traded me out for a lefty. I went from decent to absolute **** overnight. I was ready to give up, but he persisted. I eventually got better.

Short story long, perseverance. If he favors the left hand, he will train the left eye faster than you realize. If he is right eye dominant, I would suggest him training his right hand for archery as opposed to his left. The body is easier to manipulate in terms of training than the eyesight.

Good luck to the both of you.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm looking for recommendations on a good place to get some lessons for my son around Indy.

He's 10, 5'3", 135#, a strong kid, his upper body strength is very left hand biased, but right eye dominant.

I've been teaching him shooting rifles and pistols right handed since he was 7, and he's pretty good at it.

But I'm not so sure about how comfortable him drawing a bow using weak hand.
    The Outdoorsman in Greenwood and Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville both have indoor ranges. I'm sure that calls to either of those places may yield results as far as lessons? Probably even youth clubs.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Outdoorsman and honey creek tackle are the only bow shops in town. They both have decent sized indoor ranges.

At this age I would say let him do traditional archery. Not compound. They are cheaper, simpler and lighter weight for youner kids.
    Compound bows can only be so light of draw weights when the bow is adult sized thag it still may be to much for a child. A traditional bow can be lighter draw weight adult sized and still physically light enough a kid can hold for a while.
    Plus the buying/resale trad gear is cheaper than traditional. A finger tab is free if you make it out of leather. $40 for a cheap compound release

You use all your muscles on both sides for archery. So drawing from either side at his younger age shouldn't be an issue. There are articles and videos about eye dominance vs aiming eye. Maybe look in to that. Aiming eye can see contrast a distance better. Not always the dominant eye. Still learning about it my self.

Good videos to watch about archery when he has the time.

Jake is a 2 time Olympic silver medalist. His video quality has gotten better over the years and he does instructional seminars.

One of the bigger traditional archery channels. Haven't watched alot of him personally.

John dudley's school of nock. He was a worldn tournament archer. He only shots compunds. But has alot of form and fundamental stuff that can cross over.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    The Outdoorsman in Greenwood and Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville both have indoor ranges. I'm sure that calls to either of those places may yield results as far as lessons? Probably even youth clubs.
    I will go check it out when I go pick up my Rex MG7 can, Form 4 should get approved pretty soon.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Outdoorsman and honey creek tackle are the only bow shops in town. They both have decent sized indoor ranges.

At this age I would say let him do traditional archery. Not compound. They are cheaper, simpler and lighter weight for youner kids.
    Compound bows can only be so light of draw weights when the bow is adult sized thag it still may be to much for a child. A traditional bow can be lighter draw weight adult sized and still physically light enough a kid can hold for a while.
    Plus the buying/resale trad gear is cheaper than traditional. A finger tab is free if you make it out of leather. $40 for a cheap compound release

You use all your muscles on both sides for archery. So drawing from either side at his younger age shouldn't be an issue. There are articles and videos about eye dominance vs aiming eye. Maybe look in to that. Aiming eye can see contrast a distance better. Not always the dominant eye. Still learning about it my self.

Good videos to watch about archery when he has the time.

Jake is a 2 time Olympic silver medalist. His video quality has gotten better over the years and he does instructional seminars.

One of the bigger traditional archery channels. Haven't watched alot of him personally.

John dudley's school of nock. He was a worldn tournament archer. He only shots compunds. But has alot of form and fundamental stuff that can cross over.
    With youth compounds now that have over 15" of draw length and 60 lbs. of draw weight adjustment, it makes a lot more sense to me to buy one good compound that will grow with a kid than multiple traditional bows as the kid grows.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    With youth compounds now that have over 15" of draw length and 60 lbs. of draw weight adjustment, it makes a lot more sense to me to buy one good compound that will grow with a kid than multiple traditional bows as the kid grows.
    60lbs of draw weight adjustment with out buying $200 set of limbs and then paying to have them installed every time?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't know for sure but I doubt it requires additional limbs since it claims DIY without a press. https://diamondarchery.com/bows/infinite-305/
    Ok. The limb bolt is like 5 inchs long. So yeah. No parts. But when u change weight you will need to re tune the bow usually. But a $20 home made draw board allows for that.

I didn't realize they had that kinda of adjustment. That is awesome. Then if it in the budget, a youth bow like that is definitely one to consider.

Top Bottom