• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Not long ago, I purchased a Springfield Armory Saint Victor. Springfield was having a promotion at that time, and I also received a free Vortex Crossfire red dot optic. I`ve read reviews on that optic, and like I suspected, there are good as well as bad reviews. For an optic that has an MSRP of between $100 and $150, depending on where you look, the reviews are about what I expected to see. Apparently Vortex has an outstanding warranty and customer service.

I have wondered though if I might not want to sell or trade this and get a different optic for my AR. I have been considering an Aimpoint PRO if I were to go with a tube red dot, or, I have been seriously considering a holographic red dot of some sort because I feel that that type sight would have much faster target acquisition capabilities in CQC situations.

So, I`m just wondering what any of you might do in this same situation. Would you keep and mount the Vortex Crossfire, and trust that that quality of a sight would hold up and be sufficient? Would you pull the trigger on the Aimpoint PRO? Would you get one of the holographic red dots instead, and if so, what would be your holographic red dot of choice? Unfortunately, it will be a stretch for me to go to $500 for a rifle sight, but that would be my high end.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    The Crossfire line is their budget line. Like you said mixed reviews on red dots as well as the scopes.

I don't have a single Holosun optic I don't like. The 510c is great. It does have an exposed emitter which is the only downside.

I like my Primary Arms LPVO with the Nova wire dot reticle. It acts like a red dot at 1x. Not perfect, but pretty good. And I can zoom to 6x. Also, it can be used with no batteries should it die/fail.

I also have 45 degree flip up irons. If you were to only have 1 do it all rifle, that may be a good set up for you.

$300 with 12% off right now for the scope and then add the mount of your choice. Under $400 without tax.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Personally, I would take a carbine class first with the Vortex you already have and see if you like it. You'll also get to see what other folks are using to get a wider exposure to red dots and LPVOs.

Once you start figuring out what aspects you like and don't like, and hear from other people, you can narrow down your list of what you want for your set up and go from there.

Revere's Riders is hosting a class this February.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    It all comes down to the intended use and what you expect out of the optic. Clear glass, crisp magnification, eye relief, field of view, there are so many variables that can dictate the best optic for your purpose. You may be perfectly happy with something like the vortex strike eagle 1-6, which should be easy to find used in your price range, and possibly with a mount included. Or, a 2 MOA red dot with or without a magnifier can be very effective with practice.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It all comes down to the intended use and what you expect out of the optic. Clear glass, crisp magnification, eye relief, field of view, there are so many variables that can dictate the best optic for your purpose. You may be perfectly happy with something like the vortex strike eagle 1-6, which should be easy to find used in your price range, and possibly with a mount included. Or, a 2 MOA red dot with or without a magnifier can be very effective with practice.
    Not at all, not even close. It`s about durability, functionality, and function. I need and want something suitable for CQC purposes as well as midrange use, but it`s always about quality, and durability as well. If the Vortex Crossfire isn`t durable, then it`s a waste.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    If this is something that you may depend on for serious event (self defense) then i would advise against anything budget. I have seen a few lower cost optics fail at an outdoor range. Below zero weather can cause issues.

There is a reason you will not see military or police swat use china made products.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Not at all, not even close. It`s about durability, functionality, and function. I need and want something suitable for CQC purposes as well as midrange use, but it`s always about quality, and durability as well. If the Vortex Crossfire isn`t durable, then it`s a waste.
    Any optic that costs under 200 should not be considered quality as a rule. Most people buy a better optic than they need though. A 200 dollar optic will probably survive years of range trips, but wouldn't last ten minutes in an active firefight. If you want something you can depend on, get ready to drop some coin. I'd hate for you to rely on it in your time of need and it fail because you wanted to save some money.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There is a reason you will not see military or police swat use china made products.

IS HOLOSUN A DUTY GRADE?

"Yes, we’ve seen plenty of law enforcement officers with their duty guns equipped with a variety of Holosun pistol optics. Since 2021, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department has approved Holosun 407/507/508/509 use. This is significant because LASD policies act as sort of a trendsetter for many other departments across the country.

With the massive amount of video footage that has come in from the Ukraine War, we've seen many Holosuns used in the conflict. While we don't have any specific data sets, tests, or studies for you to review - now that Ukrainian troops have been fielding these optics for over a year now it's pretty safe to say that many Holosun optics are now considered "battle-tested."

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've stayed away from Vortex red dot's since I've been known to break them. I've yet to break a Primary Arms red dot though. If an Aimpoint isn't in your budget, Holosun and Primary Arms would be my choices. Which one depends on what type of reticle you like the best and what your price range is.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Throw the Vortex in the trash, put a PRO on it, and shoot it until you can put a better rifle under it.

We have beaten a lot of Aimpoint PROs over the years and never had one fail. For the money I don't think you'll find anything as good.
    Better rifle? I`ve read very good things about the Saint Victor 5.56

Top Bottom