• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Here are a couple of bonus pics for INGO that didn't make it into my review.

Dg3S2nZ.jpg

jMy0mZJ.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting. Eventually I have to make a decision for my AR. Not sure if I want a longer range capable scope or a 1X-? scope. I have always considered the Vortex brand though I grew up in a family where Leupold was "king".

One thing I didn't care for was the lack of crosshairs on the Vortex. I have older eyes so I think I would want a crosshair I could see.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Interesting. Eventually I have to make a decision for my AR. Not sure if I want a longer range capable scope or a 1X-? scope. I have always considered the Vortex brand though I grew up in a family where Leupold was "king".

One thing I didn't care for was the lack of crosshairs on the Vortex. I have older eyes so I think I would want a crosshair I could see.

I think you will find the 1MOA center dot to be a god sent, and very easy to pick up even with the illumination off.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I was leaning towards the Vortex Viper PST, but after reading this I might get the Leupold. Nice review. Thanks for taking your time to give a honest review.:yesway:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I was leaning towards the Vortex Viper PST, but after reading this I might get the Leupold. Nice review. Thanks for taking your time to give a honest review.:yesway:

Weight is really the only reason to go the Leupold route. The vortex is nicer in just about every aspect.

Glad you enjoyed it!

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I enjoyed your review very much.. I enjoyed the honesty of your personal believe verse what people want you and let me make a choice. Going further I would have really enjoyed seeing the other two scopes compared the Burris and Primary Arms are more in my price range.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I enjoyed your review very much.. I enjoyed the honesty of your personal believe verse what people want you and let me make a choice. Going further I would have really enjoyed seeing the other two scopes compared the Burris and Primary Arms are more in my price range.

I came really close to getting the PA scope in the review too, but it just didn't quite work out. Sorry!

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I purchase a Vortex with a lot high expectations and in general the scope is great, the problem I encounter was that the illumination was out during the day and if you aim at a dark spot even with maximum setting I couldn't see the aiming point. I did end up selling it ot just wasn't for me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    All and all I think this is a fair review.

The only thing I would add is I'm not sure those eye relief numbers are correct. On minimum zoom the PST has a 24mm entrance pupil, where the Leupold has a 13.3mm entrance pupil. The entrance pupil is the biggest determining factor in eye relief forgiveness (I.E. eye box). The erector housing will help the Leupold a little in the exit pupil category, as well as the larger eye piece, but not nearly enough to make up for the smaller entrance pupil. The erector housing, and eye piece will have a little effect on the exit pupil, but generally speaking they wont effect it over a couple mm.

Long story short, there is no "principal's of optics" (if that is a term) that can explain how the Leupold could possibly win in that category. The advantage to the Leupold is that it is 4.8 oz lighter than the PST 1-4. To some people that is a big difference, but most folks wont notice 4.8 OZ when its mounted on the receiver of a rifle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you will find the 1MOA center dot to be a god sent, and very easy to pick up even with the illumination off.

I purchase a Vortex with a lot high expectations and in general the scope is great, the problem I encounter was that the illumination was out during the day and if you aim at a dark spot even with maximum setting I couldn't see the aiming point. I did end up selling it ot just wasn't for me.

I think what this is telling me is that I need to check scopes out in person to see what I like. Thanks men!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Never a bad idea. If you have the same issues as posted above you would be the second person I've heard of having that issue in all I've sold. Assuming I'm interpreting the post correctly.

I have heard of the illumination washing out in bright sun (very rare and never see it in the 20 ish pst 1-4's I've used) but watching out with the illumination on against a black target doesn't sound right. Even non daylight visible scopes will stand out on black.

It sounds like Venenoindy's scope should gave been sent back.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Never a bad idea. If you have the same issues as posted above you would be the second person I've heard of having that issue in all I've sold. Assuming I'm interpreting the post correctly.

I have heard of the illumination washing out in bright sun (very rare and never see it in the 20 ish pst 1-4's I've used) but watching out with the illumination on against a black target doesn't sound right. Even non daylight visible scopes will stand out on black.

It sounds like Venenoindy's scope should gave been sent back.

I'll be getting with you when I'm ready to buy. Need to buy a house first.:(

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I came really close to getting the PA scope in the review too, but it just didn't quite work out. Sorry!
    No sweat.. I enjoyed the review. I run a Vortex crossfire 2 on my ar. Love vortex products. The cross hair (for lack of better term) on the primary arms intrigues me + it's a 1 to 6 power. But maybe another time. I hope you post more of your reviews here.

Mbomb3869

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Muncie
    I've been trying to find reviews of the leupold vxr 1.25-4 and nobody seems to post any. This is the closest thing I've found. Thanks for the review

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the PST does have a crosshair and illuminated aiming dot in between the larger illuminated ring that you can see in the pics. The center dot is very easy to see, while still being small and precise. I really like it.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope-with-tmcq-moa-reticle/reticle

Top Bottom