• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I bought myself a kayak for my September birthday so I can kayak with my jr high bestie & her family on the weekends.

We drop in at Yorktown at the park. Since we are starting so late in the season we are wanting to keep kayaking as long as possible this year.

I'm new to the sport and would appreciate any tips and advice on accessories and form. What are the do's and don'ts of the sport?

Thank you in advance for being helpful.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wear your PFD
    Don't get caught up in downed trees in moving water. Give yourself plenty of room to go around them.
    Stay clear of low head dams (they're the ones with the water rolling over the top of the dam)
    Watch for rocks and try to avoid them.
    Get out and stretch your legs occasionally and enjoy the surroundings
    Have fun and enjoy the time with your peeps

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I've been out a few times. Don't have a ton of technical advice, but know what's coming your way with maps or talking w/ someone. The other thing that got us was the weather. Being younger, we did not see what was coming and a thunderstorm rolled in. Finally, a few extra granola bars are quick energy. PFDs a must at all times, even it if looks calm. Making a point to consciously enjoy the trips made them fantastic.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    -Lakes are easier than rivers / streams because you don't have to worry about paddling upstream (or arranging a 1-way ride).
    -Many (but not all) public bodies of water require a day-use fee or an annual registration fee.
    -The state of Indiana does not require any registration for non-motor watercraft
    -I've never bothered with wearing a life jacket because it's not required. But you are required to have one in your boat for each person.
    -Kayaks don't tip over very easily; just don't do anything stupid.
    -I wear light-weight fingerless bike gloves to help with the blisters from paddling
    -IMO "end of the year" has already passed for being comfortable, but I guess you can kayak as long as the lakes aren't frozen if you don't mind being cold.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I know nothing about kayaking. I do know I hear on the news, a lot of people drowning, while kayaking.

PFD for the win!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    when i got mine, i took it to a small, calm lake to get used to it, before going on the river. Get some gear that keeps your important stuff dry and floats, they even make pouches you can put your phone in and still use it to take pictures. Oh- and those tethers for the paddle are handy if you are going in the river, if you drop it or do manage to tip over, it won't get away from the kayak. My husband thought i was just being a worrier and didn't attach his. He learned the hard way...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I know nothing about kayaking. I do know I hear on the news, a lot of people drowning, while kayaking.

PFD for the win!
    Our family farm is on the Patuxant River in Md, every kayak-er, canoeing, hunter, fisherman or drunk in a jon boat the body is found missing one thing.
    The PDF thats still in the boat.
    The life you save may be your own!!!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    when i got mine, i took it to a small, calm lake to get used to it, before going on the river. Get some gear that keeps your important stuff dry and floats, they even make pouches you can put your phone in and still use it to take pictures. Oh- and those tethers for the paddle are handy if you are going in the river, if you drop it or do manage to tip over, it won't get away from the kayak. My husband thought i was just being a worrier and didn't attach his. He learned the hard way...
    +1 on the floating pouch. You would be surprised at what-all you can lose in the river. Knife, keys, whatever, once it goes down in murky water, you probably ain't getting it back. Since there hasn't been a ton of rain this year, more likely what you're going to experience is very low water levels, with spots where you're going to get stuck and either have to push-off of with your paddle, or get out and walk the boat over it. You're going to get wet in the course of getting in, getting out, etc. so dress like you're going swimming, with old tennis shoes or water socks and extra layers for weather and PFD (keep it on if there's any flowing current). Water temperatures are only about one week from getting into serious hypothermia territory, so that PFD becomes even more important to your survivability if something goes wrong.

If the river is "new to you" and there is any current flowing, I would recommend going with someone who knows every inch of it. Low-head dams are certain death at all current speeds other than very slow and very fast, and they are notoriously difficult to spot from the upstream direction. But really any unexpected feature (downed trees were mentioned) can be annoying if there's current pushing you into it.

It's not a race so make sure to take time to enjoy, and keep an eye on the banks on either side. Sometimes because you're slowly creeping along, it's amazing the fish and wildlife you can see.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Think they covered it, but for the people in the back:
    Wear a life jacket.
    If it's not tied down you'll lose it. If practical, it should also float.
    Know the conditions (water & weather).
    It's always easier paddling with the current/wind than against it. Plan your time/route accordingly.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    XWING: "-The state of Indiana does not require any registration for non-motor watercraft

Not true. There is a $5 non motorized sticker every year. Think it is a $50 fine.

Practice getting in and out of it on your lawn. There are lots of good videos on YouTube.

I put 200 - 300 hrs a year in one on lakes mainly. Just relax and have a ball.

My favorite is coffee while the sun rises.
    _storage_3132-3633_DCIM_Camera_20170513_065212.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpeg

Don

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Stow away a change of clothes in something that seals tight and stays that way.
    It's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are they drunk, small children, in freezing temperatures, or kayaking on whitewater? It would be pretty difficult to drown if none of those are true.
    Could be a medical issue. Swallow wrong, cough until you pass out, roll into the water, panic, inhale and aspirate water into your lungs, lots of bad things can happen.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    paddling.com

Check them out you can find a lot of good information even without signing up and that is free. I am no expert on Kayak's been doing them for about 5 years but canoeing for about 50 years.
    You did not say what type or size you have, sit in or sit on or anything about size. Always wear your PFD but as said before watch out for underwater or partially underwater obstructions. Downed trees can be very dangerous and you could get hung up and drown even with a PFD. Yes, low head dams are super dangerous and really hard to see from up-stream even if you know they are there. Be careful and have fun. Jim.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Pretty much what others have already said, plus just plan that you are going to get at least a little wet. Just paddling, you are most likely going to get water on you dripping from the paddles, splashing etc. Maybe others don’t, but we always get wet, not soaked, just a little wet, which is something to keep in mind if it is cooler when you go. PFD and dry clothes would be my top recommendation. Have fun, it is a great way to spend the day!

Top Bottom