• ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Car extended warranty.

I drie a 2014 BMW cruze, has 83k miles. My zip code is 90210, in the town of indianapolis, state of ohio.

Usually after they get that info they transfer you and thats when it geta fun because who ever they transfer you to usually picked up on it.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Usually I just hang up on scammers if I have anything productive to do.

Since I have a lot of down timed due to illness, sometimes I'll spend time with a spam caller. I especially like the ones that have thick Paki or Asian accents but tell me their name is Frank or John or Charles. I start asking them questions, not about their hustle, but about life, about their views on justice, and even questions about the Bible. Eventually they hang up on me. I figure every minute I keep them busy is time they are not scamming the widow down the street.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't get many spam calls. I do get calls for my ex-husband's first wife. He has been dead since 2009 and I haven't seen or talked to her since about 1995 so why they think I know where she is is a mystery to me. I have fun telling them that he is dead and she may be as well for all I know. They insist I give them her contact info since she and I are apparently best friends, and I tell them not so politely to F*&# off. When they leave a message on my voice mail, I call them back just so I can tell them to stop calling me...otherwise they just keep leaving messages every day. She's been married a few more times so I don't even know what name she is using these days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't get many spam calls. I do get calls for my ex-husband's first wife. He has been dead since 2009 and I haven't seen or talked to her since about 1995 so why they think I know where she is is a mystery to me. I have fun telling them that he is dead and she may be as well for all I know. They insist I give them her contact info since she and I are apparently best friends, and I tell them not so politely to F*&# off. When they leave a message on my voice mail, I call them back just so I can tell them to stop calling me...otherwise they just keep leaving messages every day. She's been married a few more times so I don't even know what name she is using these days.
    If they are collection calls, they MUST stop calling you when you tell them to stop.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    A little off topic, but in the same vein, I watch this computer guy on YouTube that messes with the scammer low-lifes in a big way. He actually deletes their files and crashes their computer sometimes, while they think they've tied in to his bank account. He has a series that he filters his voice to sound like an old granny type. Hilarious.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If they are collection calls, they MUST stop calling you when you tell them to stop.
    I'm sure they are based on her past history. It is a different number each time they call because I keep blocking them. They never say the name of their agency...just that they need to talk to me about my case and ask for my file #. I assure them I have no file # with them and that they need to stop calling me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm sure they are based on her past history. It is a different number each time they call because I keep blocking them. They never say the name of their agency...just that they need to talk to me about my case and ask for my file #. I assure them I have no file # with them and that they need to stop calling me.
    Ask them "who are you trying to reach, and is this an attempt to collect a debt?" If they respond in the affirmative, ask their agency name and jot it down. Then inform them that you are officially advising them to stop calling you under the fair debt collection practices act as you are not who they are looking for and do not know how to contact them. Any further calls will be reported to the attorney general.

(IANAL but am familiar with this because I was in your position once. That worked for me.)

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    Not touching that with a 10' pole. Why would anyone open themselves up to getting more scam calls (or worse) by calling a number left by scammers?
    You don't use your actual phone number? I also use VPN and a Firewall. I've wasted tons of hours for these arasshats. Want to make them come unglued call them a 'bhenchod'

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    There are times I mess with the scammers. I offered to be their friend (Boggs from Shawshank Redemption style), I've yelled at the top of my lungs (got a call back from the scammer to insult me on that one), I've quoted Snoop (you can eat a fat ****) (that one got a call back from the scammer informing me I'd have to grow one first), or I've given random phrases as responses ("bowl of gravy", "bag of feces", "my cat's breath smells like cat food"). I usually get hung up on pretty quickly.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I answer and before they can say much (to make sure it is a live person) I thank them for returning my call about an extended warranty on their current vehicle! Between the silence or the hangups I get my simple jollies.
    Also have answered with "FBI (insert city name here) field office, may I have your name please (haven't done that in a long time) then silence!
    Gotta scam the scammer once in awhile to satisfy the jerkish side of me!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I answer and before they can say much (to make sure it is a live person) I thank them for returning my call about an extended warranty on their current vehicle! Between the silence or the hangups I get my simple jollies.
    Also have answered with "FBI (insert city name here) field office, may I have your name please (haven't done that in a long time) then silence!
    Gotta scam the scammer once in awhile to satisfy the jerkish side of me!
    Change it to CIA. If you happen to get challenged by real LEO, you can claim an out and not get busted for impersonating law enforcement. LOL

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    FBI, Farm Buildings Incorporated. I had contracted them for some work at the plant. The FBI called to talk to the Manager, right away. What he really wanted was the manager of maintenance, which was me.

The receptionist got confused and nervous and interrupted the Plant manager in a meeting saying the FBI wanted him right away. That made him nervous for a few minutes when they figured it all out. It was having to do with materials delivery issues. I thought it was funny, but the plant manager didn't.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I don't have VPN and I don't know how to "spoof" my phone number.
    Yep, I would NOT recommend it if you don't have some IT security knowledge. I worked 35 years in IT security and told myself when I retired I would join the 'Scam the Scammers' group. I had a guy wait on the phone for 1 hour while I went to Walmart to get gift cards. I was in the living room watching Gun Smoke and forgot about him on the phone. I went back to my headset and that stupid POS was still on the phone :):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we still had our landline, I had a call from someone wanting to talk to the person in charge of our NIPSCO gas bill. We had a business at home at the time so it was technically a business phone number. We do not have NIPSCO gas available at our location so I knew is was a spam call. I told him that would be Mattie and to please hold. I set the phone on the counter and went back to cleaning the house as it was our closed day. About an hour later, I went back and realized they were still on the line so I asked if they were still holding for Mattie. When they said yes, I told him she was still licking her butt but I could check to see how much longer it would be. They hung up on me and I went and told the cat (Mattie) to carry on with what she was doing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When we still had our landline, I had a call from someone wanting to talk to the person in charge of our NIPSCO gas bill. We had a business at home at the time so it was technically a business phone number. We do not have NIPSCO gas available at our location so I knew is was a spam call. I told him that would be Mattie and to please hold. I set the phone on the counter and went back to cleaning the house as it was our closed day. About an hour later, I went back and realized they were still on the line so I asked if they were still holding for Mattie. When they said yes, I told him she was still licking her butt but I could check to see how much longer it would be. They hung up on me and I went and told the cat (Mattie) to carry on with what she was doing.
    Growing up, our phone number was identical to a HUGE company in northern IN. Just a different zip. We would get at least one wrong number call per month looking for them. They were local people who only 7 digit dialed. We knew what was going on and would tell them "I'm sorry, you need area code 219".

The shock in their voice when a kid who answered the phone would tell them how to reach the company they wanted was funny. What? You think you're the first idiot to not dial the area code? I guess they didnt realize it was a kid saying "hello" until I strung a complete sentence together.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I answered a scam call yesterday by accident. So I just started speaking German to him. He tried to speak Spanish back to me. I kept him on the phone for around 15 minutes using what German I remembered from High School.

Top Bottom