• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Good Lord! I have 60K miles and 10 years on my brakes. I MIGHT need to replace them in the next 10K or so.

I couldn't imagine replacing them every year.

The last one (the my wife's car) were NAPA's top of the line. Seem to be wearing very well.

Pads were only wore out once, the other times were due to other issues that required taking the pads off and just decided to change them when I had them off (once was rotors that were warped), but I have put over 40k miles on my XJ in under 3 three years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sometimes I go to Rural King, it's not as bad as a Richard's Restaurant on a Sunday afternoon but with the weather change, it seems the Blue Hairs are out in force.

To better protect my POS, I decided to finally use some bumperettes I had planned for the back (after other Tupperware removed). Cheap, not as bad as I thought it'd look.

Good enough, considering how bad the rest is getting.

Yes, I really need to replace my steering box, and yes, I don't spray for dandelions. If I could afford to spray for weeds I think there'd be a KOR bumper on this pig ;)

picture.php

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sometimes I go to Rural King, it's not as bad as a Richard's Restaurant on a Sunday afternoon but with the weather change, it seems the Blue Hairs are out in force.

To better protect my POS, I decided to finally use some bumperettes I had planned for the back (after other Tupperware removed). Cheap, not as bad as I thought it'd look.

Good enough, considering how bad the rest is getting.

Yes, I really need to replace my steering box, and yes, I don't spray for dandelions. If I could afford to spray for weeds I think there'd be a KOR bumper on this pig ;)

picture.php

That's your bumper?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I yanked the tupperware off 2 yrs ago, just stuck the bumperettes on to give a bit of cushion should some granny kiss it with her Buick.

Had the stuff laying around, affords more protection than without, and my tow points are on brackets underneath.

Like the looks of without anything up front, but a minor ding there could make for a bit of work getting it fixed, so figured this may thwart GM Geriatric Goofs.

I had some beefy bumpers a bud and I made way back, on my CJ. Killed a Plymouth that tried to SanFran my CJ5. Only took the paint off my ride (but did knock me into the intersection, low back buckets .......I was hurtin' for a while.

Bumperettes, from old YJ, more of a ZJ grill guard now ;)

Original ZJ "bumper" is just plastic over a styro block. Pretty crappy, esp if you cut the "bumper" to access the tow hooks........it then only had the side and top connections. A stick snag, or one good fart, should rip it right off. Might as well yank it at home instead of having to load it up and take it to a dumpster when it sooner or later (sooner my bet) gets shredded.

The bumperettes are centered over the "frame" rails, decent bolts/washers on the outside location. Inside I left it with the fog light bracket self tappers. My thought it on a minor bonk those would give. Maybe not. Easy enough to drill out and go with more Grade 8 hardware.

It's just a deer hauler anyway, won't get wheeled until I get more lift and 33's. But then it won't have rear Tupperware or doors then :) Thank goodness my backyard is fenced.......it'll be camo'd then too. Not that I live in a High Rent district, but the less I hear from the neighbors the better I like it.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    when looking for a rear leaf spring to lift up the back end, do you go exactly the amount of lift you want or next step down and get longer shackles?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm not a jeeper, but I've been called a creeper before. That would be the last time I sat in the back of that yoga class cheering those ladies on!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    when looking for a rear leaf spring to lift up the back end, do you go exactly the amount of lift you want or next step down and get longer shackles?

On my XJ's I went with a 3" spring lift, used stock shackles.
    Going taller, I used Rocky Road spacers.

Maybe bias from old CJ days, but longer shackles were never cool IMHO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Typically the exact lift you want. Longer shackles will change the geometry, and generally not in a good way. A longer rear shackle will lift your pinion up, for instance. The proper springs will simply provide lift, and keep other angles consistent.

Remember also that shackles provide only half the lift of their length (eg: a 2" longer shackle lifts 1"), because they only lift one end of the spring.

Slightly longer shackles can give you more "flex" by allowing the spring more movement for and aft.

I run shackles that are just long enough to allow my springs to nearly flatten before they max out compressed (My springs have a slight arch). This helps prevent the springs from over-compressing (bending passe flat), and act as a limit to wheel travel. They also allow the springs to nearly max extended before the shackles invert (swing the wrong way).

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Typically the exact lift you want. Longer shackles will change the geometry, and generally not in a good way. A longer rear shackle will lift your pinion up, for instance. The proper springs will simply provide lift, and keep other angles consistent.

Remember also that shackles provide only half the lift of their length (eg: a 2" longer shackle lifts 1"), because they only lift one end of the spring.

Slightly longer shackles can give you more "flex" by allowing the spring more movement for and aft.

I run shackles that are just long enough to allow my springs to nearly flatten before they max out compressed (My springs have a slight arch). This helps prevent the springs from over-compressing (bending passe flat), and act as a limit to wheel travel. They also allow the springs to nearly max extended before the shackles invert (swing the wrong way).

So 4.5" leaf spring with stock shackle?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It flex ok in the back?

Stock rear shackles and no front or rear sway bars, I got enough flex to trash other stuff.

5" lift, stock shackles, no sway bars. It did what I wanted, set up two XJ's like that, DD too. Didn't think it any big deal. Loaned it to a bud and he called it a death trap.

YMMV

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Down to one Jeep today.

Note: menopausal women should worry about their oil pressure more than an "old ice" fountain Coke or where their gay pals stashed some antiques.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Piecing together a lift. Right now I have a set of leaf springs I bought for $50. I am hoping they are mostly arched good. I can get a 3" lift coil and add a leaf for $100 (and longer front shocks) and then I would have to get longer rear shocks. This would only be a few years lift kit before I get a good lift kit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd get a full spring over an add-a-leaf.
    Without air tools putting them on an old XJ can be a bit of work, possibly hassle.
    If going to do that much, might as well just do it right the first time.
    Not made of money, but busting my ass (knuckles and other) working on an older rig put together with top notch Chrysler fasteners............my time is worth something.

Top Bottom