• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Offset bracket does hang down and stresses weak factory axle bracket area.
    Better IMHO to keep it closer to center, use the original bolt up location and go with adj trackbar.
    Wheel it and probably need to weld cracks anyway.

pics of either or both?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No pics, a JP Frogger welded two of the ones I cracked (XJ/ZJ) ;)

My ZJ hasn't been wheeled, but it cracked the factory bracket (maybe damaged before).
    It is welded in now, seems OK (made steering nice and tight again). Ran out of time on repair, required more work- won't wheel until the remaining crack is welded. BTW, to avoid any similar issues, my rear offset bracket was also welded in :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No pics, a JP Frogger welded two of the ones I cracked (XJ/ZJ) ;)

My ZJ hasn't been wheeled, but it cracked the factory bracket (maybe damaged before).
    It is welded in now, seems OK (made steering nice and tight again). Ran out of time on repair, required more work- won't wheel until the remaining crack is welded. BTW, to avoid any similar issues, my rear offset bracket was also welded in :)

I'm trying to understand where you are referring to as parts that are cracking...could you clarify?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Factory trac bar bracket.........factory bracket to axle tube welds break.
    Moving the trac bar down increases leverage and works it pretty hard IMHO.
    Quick web check shows it seems to be a common issue.
    I'm 3 for 3 :)
    But my luck is suckier than most.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Snagged this pic from the web, IIRC I broke one bracket like that (replaced with new, that was welded in, after factory bracket weld(s) repaired).

40513d1299792407t-dropped-track-bar-mount-forumrunner_20110310_162645.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been a few years since welded, might not be fully accurate of where. Red definitely where aftermarket bracket got welded to factory bracket, green some of factory bracket came loose on mine. I still have a crack on my ZJ's bracket high and left. Have to take stuff apart to get to that area, ran out of time. Like I said, no prob with other beef up in daily use, even some bumpy deer retrievals in fields/woods, but won't wheel it until it's totally fixed.

You just watch while somebody turns the wheel back and forth and the gaps appear. Note all, and then have your buddy with the welder go to town on it :)

Doesn't take much flex to make your Jeep drive like crap. A weld or two can make it drive like new :laugh:

Ever have a trackbar come loose? It sucks, esp in traffic at speed, on an "S" going into an intersection. If not knowing what's going on (and maybe it ya do) it can make for some pucker LOL.

picture.php

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had one trac bar get sloppy at the frame bracket. I went to Wabash Jeep when Larry was still alive and got a like new one cheap. It was OK when I sold the rig, beat it up pretty well too.

Did put a urethane bushing in my ZJ's factory bar. So far so good, but I haven't really tweaked the crap out of it either.

ZJ heavier than XJ, ran my XJ's with no sway bars. Gotta for street in a ZJ, plows bad without. Got some QD type links. Hate 'em. I'll replace with longer fixed position.

Checked Double shear, wonder why KOR has a similar setup for $100 more.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Uh, no. That's just an upgraded alloy shaft for a Dana 44.

You need the whole housing. Including, housing, shafts, gears, locker, brakes, and all the mounting bracketry.

Something like one of these:
    Jeep TJ

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    My current daily driver is a 2004 Rubicon with 210k miles.

I've upgraded the springs, shocks, track bars, sway bar links, ball joints, drag link, tie rod, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, wheels and tires.

My next upgrade will be better braking. Mainly because it will need brake pads soon. Any suggestions?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My current daily driver is a 2004 Rubicon with 210k miles.

I've upgraded the springs, shocks, track bars, sway bar links, ball joints, drag link, tie rod, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, wheels and tires.

My next upgrade will be better braking. Mainly because it will need brake pads soon. Any suggestions?

Cheap! :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Autozone lifetime replacement pads, they go bad or wear out, take them back and get free replacements. I haven't bought brake pads for my Jeep since 2010 and I replace them yearly.

Good Lord! I have 60K miles and 10 years on my brakes. I MIGHT need to replace them in the next 10K or so.

I couldn't imagine replacing them every year.

The last one (the my wife's car) were NAPA's top of the line. Seem to be wearing very well.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Nice thing about autozone ceramics is they have a rubber pad part of the design...so no messy brake quiet or silly shims to lose

Top Bottom