• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    I'm really wanting to get into hunting. I noticed that Spring Turkey season starts at the end of April. Is this trapping only? Can I shoot a turkey with a shotgun ? Sorry for being so ignorant about this. Please help. I want to get into deer hunting as well when that season comes back around. Just really wanting to get into hunting, but with a rifle or shotgun. Not interested as much in trapping.. any guidance will be much appreciated!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Shotgun is the prefered means of taking turkey, with archery coming in second and trapping I have not heard of, but if you can legally do it and be successful you have my respect.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a friend that loves Turkey hunting due to the time of year he gets to be outside.

Please make sure you get permission to be on someone's property to go hunting. Don't want to see any 'hunter gets shot' or 'kid gets shot' stories.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'm really wanting to get into hunting. I noticed that Spring Turkey season starts at the end of April. Is this trapping only? Can I shoot a turkey with a shotgun ? Sorry for being so ignorant about this. Please help. I want to get into deer hunting as well when that season comes back around. Just really wanting to get into hunting, but with a rifle or shotgun. Not interested as much in trapping.. any guidance will be much appreciated!

I'm in the same boat. I've done pheasant the past few years and really enjoyed it. I went with a bird hunting buddy of mine. Without having someone willing to take you along, I don't know anything about turkey hunting.

Do I just find a random field, and sit down and wait???? Spring is only males I believe, will I really be able to identify a male vs female first time out if I'm lucky enough to find them?

getting into hunting is hard if you haven't done it your whole life.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hop to the outdoor section here, there are a couple threads on beginner turkey hunting.

There are also books, TV shows and DVD's. Take the latter two with a few grains of salt. IMHO they are hunting reserved sections of ground with lots of birds and zippo pressure.

Bottom line though....you need to be where there are birds ;)

That means finding areas they use and................ not scaring them out.

Most folks move/call/make noise too much.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Turkey hunting is like elk hunting in Indiana :)
    If on bigger ground and "run and gun", you use your ears and topography, it's a blast.

My hunting bud and I checked out new public ground down south last yr (late in the season). Heavily hunted (know others who hunt there), we still heard toms all 3 days and saw 3.
    2 sightings were on normal setups where we got in before sunup, the other was after a long and brutal "run and gun".

We saw some horse riders but no other hunters.

I have a close spot, less than 10 mins from my house. Killed two toms there in back to back years.

I'd rather drive 2+ hrs to that tick infested public hellhole.............the ground is rugged, it's neat, there are more birds.........the challenge way higher.
    Killing a bird there means you know what you are doing.

Killing a bird on my friends place is just too easy.

Last edited:

cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Anyone familiar with the public hunting areas in Randolph County? That's near me but I don't understand how it works. Or if Turkey hunting is permitted..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some public areas have turkey hunting by "drawing".
    Others you just buy a license and go.
    The IDNR has a decent handout that is also available online (like Bushlight linked in post #2).

Public ground means other folks using it, some hunting turkeys or other stuff.

Think and act safety.

The term for going after birds is "run and gun" and being mobile with others around may pose added danger. It also means you might move in on another person doing the same.

Some people will hear you work a bird and slip in and blast it. Had that happen years ago in Hoosier National Forest. Oh well, that's part of it.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Shotgun is the prefered means of taking turkey, with archery coming in second and trapping I have not heard of, but if you can legally do it and be successful you have my respect.

I'm an archer first and foremost. I've taken a squirrel at 12 yards with a field tip last year. However, I have yet to get a turkey with a bow and have never used a shotty. I'm seriously ready to call it a day with the bow and go for the shotgun.

Those suckers have some amazing eyesight. I seem to get busted right at full draw as I'm moving in for the shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Better choices IMHO

images

images

images

Adder_Points_5_pkt.jpg

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    No way!

If you are trying to kill turkeys with a bow, please use broadheads! Either your regular deer heads for vitals shots, or the 'guillotine' style heads that have crazy wide cutting path that is meant to decapitate.

When aiming for a tuyrkey's vitals with a broadhead, they are lower than you think, down in the the guts, not up in the chest. Look it up, please.
    Do the humane thing.

Calling or ambush are the best ways to kill turkeys in IN. Run and gun is low percentage and more dangerous, but on the right properties can be a lot of fun.

Pattern your shotgun, and put the 'epicenter' of your shot pattern on the upper neck area to get neck and head shots for fastest gun kills.

Calling is not overly tricky, but is easily over done. Get a mentor.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I would say I'm willing to take you out this turkey season but this year I can't due to my wife being pregnant and her due date is around the opening day but I can help with deer. If you want to get in touch with me here soon I can teach you a lot about deer hunting. When then season comes around I would even be willing to take you if you want. I hunt a lot around Delaware and Madison counties. Just let me know.

Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ive never heard of anyone trapping turkeys, but I have taken a few people snipe hunting when I was a kid. Buy a shotgun and start with deer first then go turkey hunting after you get a deer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you are trying to kill turkeys with a bow, please use broadheads! Either your regular deer heads for vitals shots, or the 'guillotine' style heads that have crazy wide cutting path that is meant to decapitate.

When aiming for a tuyrkey's vitals with a broadhead, they are lower than you think, down in the the guts, not up in the chest. Look it up, please.
    Do the humane thing.

Calling or ambush are the best ways to kill turkeys in IN. Run and gun is low percentage and more dangerous, but on the right properties can be a lot of fun.

Pattern your shotgun, and put the 'epicenter' of your shot pattern on the upper neck area to get neck and head shots for fastest gun kills.

Calling is not overly tricky, but is easily over done. Get a mentor.

My response was to the post where one used a fieldpoint on a squirrel (last post on page 1, of only a two page thread).

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county

1 st might i suggest that you please take at least 1 hunters education class.

This will help us all and as you will become better educated to the rules and regulations and laws.
    safety , game identification and much much more

p.s. i don't know anyone who "traps" turkey

Top Bottom