• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I am curious if there are any INGOers here who, like me, used to be anti-gun and were somehow converted. I doubt I'm all that unusual. (well..ok, "unusual" would be a nice way to describe me at times... but I mean regarding this particular topic :) )

What's your story? What changed your mind?

A recent thread about the Luby's massacre in Texas reminded me of my final ah-ha! moment that converted me from anti-gun (guns are bad--dangerous--nobody needs to carry them, let's wipe them all off the face of the earth, naive ignorant liberal kind of thinking) to a second amendment proponent and eventually a gun owner myself.

I had been weakening on my anti-gun stance for awhile, first realizing that you can't uninvent guns, and thinking about what that means... then finding myself happy when a law-abiding gun owner did something heroic... etc. It was the story of the Luby's shooting that pushed me over that final threshold, imagining poor Suzanna Hupp helplessly watching her parents and the others being murdered and knowing that her own gun was just steps away outside in her car.

The kicker and the most uncomfortable moment came when I realized that people who thought the way I did were the reason she did not have her handgun with her to protect herself and her family. Suddenly I was mad at Texas, and mad at myself. And the lightbulb went on.

About face.

Anyone else have similar stories?

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    I can't say I was 'anti-gun' exactly. I just was never raised with them, wasn't comfortable with them, never messed with them till my hubby and i met 10 years ago. He had several in the home, and I wanted to be comfortable knowing they were here, and how to use them. So we went to a range a couple of times and ta da here I am, a new gun owner.

I never thought I'd be the type to CC just to go to the grocery store, but that was exactly what I did today! I've even given thought to putting it on before I answer the front door, I mean it's often just me and my toddler here while hubby is at work. Even though we state ' no soliciting' people come to the door all the time, one guy just walked right in my house when I went to grab the dog..UM I DON"T THINK SO!!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Every single 'gun virgin' I've taken to the range has taken up an immediate love for firearms as soon as they were educated about them and introduced properly to them. In fact...I think 80% of them own at least one gun now.

My point is that being anti-gun typically comes from fear or lack of understanding, just like most other forms of intolerance stem from ignorance.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    When I look back at myself 10-15 years ago, I can't see that I ever thought I'd own a gun. I didn't think about it much I guess... maybe even a little "anti", but I always thought people should have the right to do whatever they want so long as they weren't hurting anyone else.

Anyhow, I am definitely a convert now. I posted my story some time ago, but still think it is good reading.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hy_i_carry_one_gun_in_my_face_was_enough.html

mopar70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    North Vernon
    @font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } My wife was anti-gun. When we got married she told me that we would not have any guns in the house. I said that we would. I never shoved them on her and over time she has changed her thoughts. Now she will buy me a gun from time to time, our kids get their first 22 at 7. She now has her lifetime, and carries at all time. :draw:She loves to shoot and is a big defender of the 2nd amendment.:patriot:

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I was never really anti gun I just never saw a reason to own a gun until recently.
    No one in my family or extended family ever used or owned guns so my only exposure to guns was through Boy Scouts where I learned how to use and respect guns (bolt action 22 and a 20 ga shotgun). I had not shot a gun in 15 years or so and my wife urged me to properly train myself wit handguns so that I can do my best to defend our family if anything were to ever happen. I have since taken my NRA basic pistol course and purchased my first handgun for home defense purposes.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have definitely changed my stance. I mentioned in another thread that I once gave a speech in college calling for stricter control and mandatory safety training for ownership (not for carry, but even for simple ownership). To be fair, the speech assignment was to take on a controversial subject. But I believed what I was saying.

2 years ago, I honestly thought you had to have a license to purchase a handgun, that there was a waiting period prior to being able to take it home, that handguns were registered, and you couldn't get a license to carry unless you proved you needed it for a particular threat).

What changed my mind: I have an older brother that is an elected official and has been threatened a couple of times. It was strongly suggested that he get a handgun for personal protection. I was very surprised when he told me he was gun shopping. It seemed to be against his character.

I started looking into it thinking going to the range might be something we could do together as we're not really all that close.

+1 to INGO for providing me a lot of education. I've learned a lot here and appreciate the help that was provided to a newb. I've changed my mind on a lot of things.

I now own 5 handguns: Springfield XDm 9mm full size, Ruger 22/45 MK III, Kel-Tec P3AT, Charles Daly 1911, and FNH 9mm FNP.

I own 1 rifle: Marlin .22 with scope.

90% of my Christmas presents this past year were reloading equipment. I built my own reloading bench and have now loaded my first 300 rounds of .45 ACP.

I shot my first 50 of those reloads yesterday at Eagle Creek. No Fail to Fire, No Fail to Feed, no Fail to Eject. All fired flawlessly. I was really pleased (except for where they landed on the target, but I'm still working on that part).

I carry my P3AT almost everywhere I go and my wife now has her LTCH as well.

My brother: His gun has never yet been fired, never carried. As far as I know, it's never been outside of the original packaging. But I'll always be thankful to him for getting me started.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I have never been anti gun, always loved them. My wife on the other hand tried to make me get rid of all them because we were having a kid. I told her flat out the answer is no, I'm keeping my guns. Now it's 7 years later and in Jan I was talking about selling my Beretta .32 to my brother and she said " well what will I shoot when were out then?" :D:D:D I couldn't have been happier.

All it took was a few people messing around the house, and getting her out shooting. :rockwoot:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    My story was the same as most others I would guess. Growing up my mom was an ER nurse in a bad area so there is not a woman more anti-gun on the planet (not that I blame her, having to deal with that stuff night after night would turn anyone I think), and those values with instilled in me. No-one needs a gun. Why would anyone ever need to go hunting when they can just go to Jewel and buy meat. In a home invasion its better to call the police, etc, etc etc. Looking back it sounds a bit silly, but hey its what I thought at the time. Then I went to college in Texas and well... its kinda hard to be anti-gun in Texas. First time I fired a gun I was hooked. Sure it was a 10/22, but all that anti-gun rhetoric went out the window, and I applied for my FOID card the next day (was an IL resident at the time), and have been buying more and more since then. When I moved to Indiana a few years back the NFA bug bit me, and well... From Anti-gun to gun-nut. :D

To my mom's credit a few years ago when I was forced to move back home durring a period of unemployment she was "ok" with me having my guns at home as long as they stayed in the safe and she didn't have to see them.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I am a pretty recent convert. I grew up being ok with people who owned guns at their house but didn't really believe in them carrying (I did grow up in the Chicago area for what it's worth). I believed any place where you might need a gun was an area to simply avoid at all times. Then some of my friends got robbed, and when I bought my house here I had enough of hearing random noises from outside and realizing I was defenseless if anyone did try to break in. Plus a few co-workers suggested I try shooting at a range because they thought I'd enjoy it. Wanted to know what I was doing first, so I took a basic pistol class and loved it.

And discovering INGO has certainly been very educational, in fact dare I say it was instrumental in my conversion

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    my mom was an ER nurse in a bad area so there is not a woman more anti-gun on the planet (not that I blame her, having to deal with that stuff night after night would turn anyone I think.

Yes, I can understand that! I used to work in a trauma center and had to respond to all the trauma codes. Seeing the damage that firearms can do to the human body and dealing with senseless violence surely has an effect on one's views of guns. But, on the other hand, seeing that can also make you realize how unsafe it is out there and make you think about what you can do to protect yourself. At least that's what it did for me after the inital shock wore off. I got to thinking, "If someone thinks they're sending me to a trauma code, they have another thing coming." But being aware of the dangers of living in this world is not considered a credible threat and doesn't get you a CCW in that part of California. I'm glad I moved to Indiana!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Reach out to Pami too. I seem to remember a story she told about her sitting on the bed and crying at the sight of the .22LR pistol that was first introduced into her house.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    A slow, long and painful process of learning to think with logic and reason. Learning to speak after pausing and thinking instead of quick, prompt snap judgments that stemmed from emotion only.

I didn't grow up around guns in my immediate family. My uncles had them. My cousins had them. I had a bbgun but that is not in the same category.

The conversation is a long one but it boils down to me misunderstanding the difference between moral choices and forced morality and how forced morality is not virtuous nor good.

Fast forward to me being in college and a buddy of mine shared with me Michael Moore's "documentary" about firearms. I watched it, called it on its bull :poop: level and decided to skip church one sunday and shoot some handguns to see what the hoopla was about. I was hooked ever since and have become more and more Libertarian the older I get. The Constitution is AWESOME.

Top Bottom