• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I've seen several LGS close in the last 5 years, or stop selling guns.

One of the guys at the sporting goods place in Vernon told me they quit selling guns because it just wasn't worth the government ******** hassle.

I'm sure it has something to do with what Guy Relford has been talking about, how the ATF has started just trying to destroy FFL's, instead of helping them maintain legal status.

That on top of a garbage economy.

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    Is there more to this?

Or just a symptom of business not going so well?

I hear the ATF is using "clerical errors" as grounds to shut down mom and pop FFL's as a form of back door gun control.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is there more to this?

Or just a symptom of business not going so well?

I hear the ATF is using "clerical errors" as grounds to shut down mom and pop FFL's as a form of back door gun control.
    Yea, one local shop was missing almost a 1,000 firearms that were logged in and "POOF" they are gone the next time ATF comes and checks the Log Books. He lost his FFL and did Federal Time.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    It's typically not any single issue that makes a business go under, but a combination of multiple conditions. if it were the economy or government alone, I would expect to see far more LGS's closing. That being said, friends of mine own a couple of stores in the eastern part of the state and are about to open their third store over in Ohio.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The LGS is closing. I see more rest areas closed than built. Electronic logging devices ELD have been required for semis for a few years now. OTR drivers get a warning from the ELD prior to going over their hours and getting a violation. They need a place to park and refuel. Without the trucks running there won't be goods on the shelf. Seems to be noticeable supply chain problems already. Does the County know about this and wouldn't a big business help their tax base to improve roadways?
    So the LGS is closing due to global warming, real or imagined.

We are in the upside down.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Used to frequent Westworth's from time to time but that's been many years ago. Sad to see a LGS go but I can understand why.

Another place that I used to frequent many years ago was Jim Shema's Outdoor Sports that was located in Merrillville. He owned and operated it with his wife for 31 years. (Wondering how many from the area remember that place?) Shema passed away in Jan. 2023 at the age of 78.

" He was an avid hunter, fisherman, and a champion shooter. Jim was a longtime member of U.S.P.S.A. and a Three Gun Shooter. He loved the outdoors and teaching his nieces and nephews about the great outdoors and training them on firearms."
    I'm saddened to hear of his passing. I used to go into his shop back in the 90's, mostly to browse and to gaze at the Dillon reloading presses that I could never afford. He was always a nice guy to talk with. It was a bummer when his shop closed because there just weren't many shops like that one in business by that time.

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm saddened to hear of his passing. I used to go into his shop back in the 90's, mostly to browse and to gaze at the Dillon reloading presses that I could never afford. He was always a nice guy to talk with. It was a bummer when his shop closed because there just weren't many shops like that one in business by that time.
    Yeah it's been so long ago but I want to say that it was sometime in the late 80's when me and a buddy of mine used to frequent his shop.

We used to frequent Blythe's in Griffith and Fetlas in Valpo back then too. We had a good time making the rounds between all of those shops at least once a week.

That and we also frequented a few motorcycle shops back in the day as well. The rest of the time we went shooting a lot at Lasalle back then when they still had a range area, and we went fishing and camping a lot.

It was a better simpler time back then without all of the strife going on today. Heck it was even before internet and social media and such became a thing when most of the socializing was still done by actually engaging with people in the real. I miss those times.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Used to frequent Westworth's from time to time but that's been many years ago. Sad to see a LGS go but I can understand why.

Another place that I used to frequent many years ago was Jim Shema's Outdoor Sports that was located in Merrillville. He owned and operated it with his wife for 31 years. (Wondering how many from the area remember that place?) Shema passed away in Jan. 2023 at the age of 78.

" He was an avid hunter, fisherman, and a champion shooter. Jim was a longtime member of U.S.P.S.A. and a Three Gun Shooter. He loved the outdoors and teaching his nieces and nephews about the great outdoors and training them on firearms."
    Bought my 1st fishing reel and fishing pole at Westworth's during the late 70's during my preteens. Work hard for a year cutting grass to make money for this set up. Then my dad took me here since he regularly visited Westworth's when he was hunting..
    The day I turned 18 I bought my very first firearm (Double Barrel Shotgun) from Jim Shema's.. Till this day I still use this shotgun to hunt birds with.. Its been decades since I've been to both place as I'm now living in Central Ind since the early 90's. But my brother shops at both places. Its sad to see them go since both places gave me many great memories..

Last edited:
    Reactions: KG1

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Dang its a continuous trend but new ones keep poping up as well. It would be nice if a simple filing error wasn't enough to get them shut down.

AEAMMO.COM

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2022
    Greenwood, IN
    With more and more people buying online wanting to get the lowest price or best deal possible it's really hard for small shops to be profitable.

We try to offer the lowest prices around and we're competing with places like RK, Cabelas, Bass Pro, & Academy that have 100x or more of our buying power and certainly are getting product at a lower cost.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    R&P moved into my town and their deals are pretty good. I know small shops need to make a profit, but as a consumer, saving 100-300$ on a gun and a box or two of ammo is a pretty convincing reason to go to R&P instead. Our gun shops are also notorious for low balling trade ins and buying used guns. A little frustrating trying to talk to the front counter when they are trying to offer you 150$ for a 700$ gun

Top Bottom