And so the split begins - Texas, California, Greater Idaho, ETC...How about Michiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Spoken like a true Urban Dweller with not a clue.
    Raised in a town of less than 200 people and graduated high school in a class of 68 students.

You can thump your chest all you want about how living in the sticks makes you "independent," but you'd best pull up some stats on where federal assistance dollars go before you sprain a muscle patting yourself on the back. I guarantee you that there are plenty of EBT cards and WIC babies in rural counties all across this nation.

Some of us can see past the end of our own noses. It's not me who doesn't have a clue.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Raised in a town of less than 200 people and graduated high school in a class of 68 students.

You can thump your chest all you want about how living in the sticks makes you "independent," but you'd best pull up some stats on where federal assistance dollars go before you sprain a muscle patting yourself on the back. I guarantee you that there are plenty of EBT cards and WIC babies in rural counties all across this nation.

Some of us can see past the end of our own noses. It's not me who doesn't have a clue.
    Using income standards from NYC why wouldn't lots of rural folks qualify? Fatherless children are not exclusive to the urban environment. And what the heck is the correlation of fed assistance to independent minded people? Are you saying all rural folks are on assistance?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Using income standards from NYC why wouldn't lots of rural folks qualify? Fatherless children are not exclusive to the urban environment. And what the heck is the correlation of fed assistance to independent minded people? Are you saying all rural folks are on assistance?
    You guys are just talking past each other. Might as well just drop it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yes, that's exactly what I said. All rural folks are on assistance.

:rolleyes:

cards.png

NYC income levels literally have zero to do with anything.

And yes, those on food stamps/federal assistance should not brag too much about how "independent" they are.

Seems self-evident to me, but maybe chopping wood and owning a boat cancels out welfare in some people's minds.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, that's exactly what I said. All rural folks are on assistance.

:rolleyes:

cards.png

NYC income levels literally have zero to do with anything.

And yes, those on food stamps/federal assistance should not brag too much about how "independent" they are.

Seems self-evident to me, but maybe chopping wood and owning a boat cancels out welfare in some people's minds.
    Then why change the subject to assistance and say the independent nature I express rural areas have more than urban areas is nonexistent?

Maybe you have been to long gone from the roots you claim? I live and work straddle the urban and rural divide. I see it every day.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Then why change the subject to assistance and say the independent nature I express rural areas have more than urban areas is nonexistent?

Maybe you have been to long gone from the roots you claim? I live and work straddle the urban and rural divide. I see it every day.
    It's not a change of subject. One cannot be "independent" if they are receiving government assistance, regardless of whether they happen to grow some food or chop wood. They are, by the very definition of the word, dependent. And there is plenty of government assistance flowing into rural areas. Thus your characterization of rural folks being "independent" while "urban dwellers" are somehow wholly dependent is misleading at best.

You can twist your definition of "independence" any way you like to make yourself feel better about not being "one of them," but at the end of the day, there are many different kinds of dependence.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    How about if I view it from Brownburg, IN?

I've traveled all over S. IL and IMO, the south starts in Illinois south of I74. The accents change, the look changes, the people change.

In Indiana I would say it's south of I70 from Ohio and south of I74 west of Indy.
    Traveled both a lot.
    Indiana, I don't disagree.
    Illinois, you can't really divide well in 2. Even 3-4 could be tough.
    Culturally, you have too many strange differences going on. Chicagoland is its own thing. North of 74 outside of Chicago is slightly different than 74 down to 70 or 64. Seems almost like South Wisconsin to me. It seems like Danville/Champaign/Bloomington/Peoria (maybe Decatur?) make some kind of border.

Springfield is a one off, due to the undue influence from the Chicago machine.
    It is way different attitudes from south of 64.

I grew up South of 64, but North of Carbondale. Still farmland and coal mining, not yet in the woods and hills. Very similar to where I live now North of Terre Haute.

That said, go South of Carbondale/Marion/Harrisburg, into the Shawnee Forest, it gets very backwoods in a hurry. We called that area North Kentucky growing up, instead of Little Egypt.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was actually called a barbaric cave dweller not long ago. By a dip **** in skinny jeans, black fingernail polish, under eye shadow and a bun on top of his skinny head.
    My reaction surprised even me. I let him walk away under his own power. Its a waste of energy to even attempt to confront these human turd sticks.
    One of the best compliments I have ever gotten was when a female manager from SC called me a N***** lover, I said Thank you.

Now, I understand I am a racist????

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Michigan far from "Yankeedom", eliminate a few square miles of concentrated idiocracy and we are as conservative as it gets.
    You are equating Yankeedom with the NE's big cities rather than the more rural areas.

Michigan and WI share far more with those areas than they do with rural areas of the south for example.

The map came from a book I read. Has much to do with who settled areas and how that process tends to ingrain certain attitudes and beliefs.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You are equating Yankeedom with the NE's big cities rather than the more rural areas.

Michigan and WI share far more with those areas than they do with rural areas of the south for example.

The map came from a book I read. Has much to do with who settled areas and how that process tends to ingrain certain attitudes and beliefs.
    What book?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yes, people are hard wired to discriminate against that which is not familiar.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Man can you say man except Yankee is a state of mind.
    Reminds me of a discussion with a New Yorker in the adjacent seat, a salesman that came to Houston during the 80's. He couldn't understand why people didn't like him. Explained to him that his manners and his manner of speech was approximately that of someone on the Gulf Coast that was about to break your nose.

carrdon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2021
    Morocco, Indiana
    I've never met anyone who cannot go on an elevator without assistance, and I've lived in Marion county since 1995. I have met some slack-jawed yokels from the donut counties that were scared to drive on I-465, though.

Everyone is dependent on other people for something. The idea that "urban dwellers" (whatever the **** that means) are somehow helpless while the small towns and trailer parks of rural Indiana are filled with bootstrap pulling rugged individualists is so absurd as to be hilarious.

Have you ever been outside?
    I-65 south of Gary to Indianapolis, before covid, should scare the crap out of anyone. Best not to eat donuts before heading off.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

Maps like that almost always are simplistic. Did you see what it calls "midlands"? Culturally and politically, Iowa has way more in common with MN than Ontario

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Since some blacks seem to have no problem using the N word every 30 seconds it carries little weight with me. I can't remember ever calling anyone a hillbilly, maybe it's worse?
    If you called a black man the N word there prob would be trouble if you wasn’t a black man !? But if you called a hillbilly a hillbilly you would prob get “damn straight and proud of it. “ so there is a difference . And same if a black man called a hillbilly a hillbilly “ damn straight & proud of it . “ or maybe just a smile :)

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Maps like that almost always are simplistic. Did you see what it calls "midlands"? Culturally and politically, Iowa has way more in common with MN than Ontario
    When I lived in Davenport Iowa, the joke was if the northern half of Iowa became part of Minnesota, the average IQ of both states would be increased.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    What book?
    “American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America.”

Here is how the author, Colin Woodward, breaks out the 11 nations:

Yankeedom: Founded by Puritans, residents in Northeastern states and the industrial Midwest tend to be more comfortable with government regulation. They value education and the common good more than other regions.

New Netherland: The Netherlands was the most sophisticated society in the Western world when New York was founded, Woodard writes, so it’s no wonder that the region has been a hub of global commerce. It’s also the region most accepting of historically persecuted populations.

The Midlands: Stretching from Quaker territory west through Iowa and into more populated areas of the Midwest, the Midlands are “pluralistic and organized around the middle class.” Government intrusion is unwelcome, and ethnic and ideological purity isn’t a priority.

Tidewater: The coastal regions in the English colonies of Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware tend to respect authority and value tradition. Once the most powerful American nation, it began to decline during Westward expansion.

Greater Appalachia: Extending from West Virginia through the Great Smoky Mountains and into Northwest Texas, the descendants of Irish, English and Scottish settlers value individual liberty. Residents are “intensely suspicious of lowland aristocrats and Yankee social engineers.”

Deep South: Dixie still traces its roots to the caste system established by masters who tried to duplicate West Indies-style slave society, Woodard writes. The Old South values states’ rights and local control and fights the expansion of federal powers.

El Norte: Southwest Texas and the border region is the oldest, and most linguistically different, nation in the Americas. Hard work and self-sufficiency are prized values.

The Left Coast: A hybrid, Woodard says, of Appalachian independence and Yankee utopianism loosely defined by the Pacific Ocean on one side and coastal mountain ranges like the Cascades and the Sierra Nevadas on the other. The independence and innovation required of early explorers continues to manifest in places like Silicon Valley and the tech companies around Seattle.

The Far West: The Great Plains and the Mountain West were built by industry, made necessary by harsh, sometimes inhospitable climates. Far Westerners are intensely libertarian and deeply distrustful of big institutions, whether they are railroads and monopolies or the federal government.

New France: Former French colonies in and around New Orleans and Quebec tend toward consensus and egalitarian, “among the most liberal on the continent, with unusually tolerant attitudes toward gays and people of all races and a ready acceptance of government involvement in the economy,” Woodard writes.

First Nation: The few First Nation peoples left — Native Americans who never gave up their land to white settlers — are mainly in the harshly Arctic north of Canada and Alaska. They have sovereignty over their lands, but their population is only around 300,000.

Top Bottom