• ...and so much more!
  • GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Got out of the .45 acp game. Capacity was my reason.
    Same here, S&W is nice because you get 8 rounds instead of 7 with the Colt. Capacity appeals to me, I wanted to stay with 45acp so I went with a G30sf and the 13+1 is really really nice. If I carry a single extra mag I have 27 rounds of 45acp and that just feels right in my mind.

Not the same as carry 17 rounds in the 9mm. A 9mm pistol with 1 extra mag carrying 35 rounds is pretty sweet. I carry less with the 45 but 27 rounds is still alot. Too bad the G30sf don't carry like a 1911.

fun and easy to reload too
    I have a Dillon 550 all set up and ready to go, all I need is primers/powder/bullets/chronograph. haha now as I type that out is sounds like I need everything but I'm comparing it to the mountain of things I've accumulated getting ready to reload.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've noticed that most people who carry a single stack 1911 with 7 or 8 round magazines are perfectly comfortable with them.
    Most people that carry 9mm anything aren't comfortable unless the gun holds 15 rounds or more.
    I'm thinking some must be thinking that the little 9mm is not up to snuff, dunno.
    I must be an odd duck, or just getting old. (Really? That happens?) Anyway, 30 years ago I carried a 1911 in 45acp. 8+1, and a spare. Somewhere along the line, my BUG - Keltec P32 (6+1, and spare) became my EDC. There is certainly something to be said about 6+ ounces vs 3+ pounds. After recently experimenting with hicap 9s, I am comfortable with my Kahr CM9 (6+1, 2 spares). I liked the 10+1 of the P365 and 12+1 of the 365XL, but I couldn't get past the weight, and very slight trigger pull. I also found both of them too heavy, and the XL too large for pocket carry. Hence the CM9. It is a wonderful little gun with a beautiful trigger. One thing still surprises me: the slide seems to lock back pretty fast. Six rounds seems a bit paltry. To make up for that, I put 2 six-round spares in my left pocket. So yeah, even with my 6+1 CM9, capacity matters.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Don’t get me wrong I loved the 10+1 of the little Taurus I had. But I didn’t shoot it as well as I did the 1911’s. I carry a full size mag as the spare so that’s 8 and 8 in the gun itself. If I can’t get it done with 16 I think I screwed myself long before that point. Yes it’s 5 round less than the 24/7 (21 total) but they carry better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've noticed that most people who carry a single stack 1911 with 7 or 8 round magazines are perfectly comfortable with them.
    Most people that carry 9mm anything aren't comfortable unless the gun holds 15 rounds or more.
    I'm thinking some must be thinking that the little 9mm is not up to snuff, dunno.
    I think the world has changed (not for the better).
    IMHO higher capacity isn't about the cartridge, its about engaging more targets.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

Maybe for some, but my EDC at the moment is a stock G48, so I’m at 10+1 with a reload and I feel fine.

Statistically speaking, the likelihood of needing more than a few rounds in a typical defensive encounter is quite low. The likelihood of needing a reload is even lower (this according to the observations of John @ Active Self Protection on literally thousands of defensive encounters captured on security cams).

However, I still carry a reload, and prefer a higher capacity if I can (I’m moving to a slightly larger EDC in the near future). I’d rather be over prepared than under, I guess.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

*S&W Shield enters the chat*

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It all depends on the demands of the environment. Most days putzing around the house or walking the dog out in the country, I'm perfectly comfortable with a 5-shot J-Frame. Out and about on my own time 7+1 and a reload is probably going to handle anything I need it to, because I live in a pretty quiet area and I'm not an aggressive, confrontational guy when I don't have to be. At work where I might get sent to a bar fight with guns and knives, I want all the bullets I can get.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I’m not a 1911 guy but I do like the .45…

I own more copies of P220s than any other gun. It's kind of my "if you could only have one" answer. Big enough to shoot well, thin enough to conceal well, compliant for travel to cranky states, parts are reasonably available, etc. I have those same grips as well as the gray version. Excellent texture, really Goldilocks for me in how rough it is.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    45acp is not impractical, nor is it inefficient. There is no caliber that gets more downrange effect from 4 grains of Bullseye, than 45 acp.

I have two question for the thread:

1. OP...where did you score the chamber inserts? Briley? (You are fixing to get me in a HELL of a lot of trouble here).

2. Leadeye, a) where did you score the Broomhandle 45, and b) how do I learn to extract my video game fantasy guns into real life?

Long time back for me on the big broom, but you do see them show up on GB from time to time. They are hard on extractors.

Top Bottom