• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I have a question for all you. Just for fun suppose you had a revolver, semi-auto handgun, bolt action rifle, semi-auto rifle and a special gun (Antique, Collectible, Overly Cool, etc) . NOT caring what caliber they are. What amount of ammo would you think is right for each? The reason I ask is I have seen someone who thinks 50 rounds of 9mm is enough ammo at one time. I shoot 100 rounds a lot of weekends, it would stink to shoot 50, run to store, get back, then shoot 50 more. Me I would think 1000 rounds would be just fine. NOT ASKING HOW MANY YOU HAVE, but in a perfect world how many would you think is right to have? .........WHY?

1) Revolver?

2) Semi auto handgun?

3) Bolt action rifle?

4) Semi auto rifle?

5) Special Gun? (Antique, Collectible, Overly Cool, etc)

(1st edit, not about how much you can afford, just what do you think is the right amount)

Last edited:

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    At least 100 rounds for each gun (just incase a range day comes) probably 1,000+ rounds for every gun that would be used in the worst situations.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    In my mind its easier to plan ammo storage on how long it takes me to use it. I keep enough ammo to shoot as often as I normally do for 2 years without being forced to buy any.

If I shoot x gun 5k rounds a year, I have 10k rounds on hand.
    If I shoot y gun 500 rounds a year, I have 1k rounds on hand.
    ETC

By following the above when we have a "ammo shortage" your not likely to be effected until after the shortage is over, and you have to re stock the supply.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I try to keep at least enough on hand for a reasonable period of sustained fire with each. Some, I'm more comfortable than others in going for an extended period or a truncated period.

But generally, I try for "reasonable".

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    In my mind its easier to plan ammo storage on how long it takes me to use it. I keep enough ammo to shoot as often as I normally do for 2 years without being forced to buy any.

ETC

By following the above when we have a "ammo shortage" your not likely to be effected until after the shortage is over, and you have to re stock the supply.

^This. I like shooting .22s, but have only purchased twice in the three years since Sandy Hook. My supply is still in pretty good shape. Being subject to the whims of mass murderers, anti-gunner tantrums, and panicked ammo buyers is for those who like paying higher prices and not finding ammo when needed.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana

ETC

Part of this is the 22 shortage. Have enough to last you through. Enough gas in your car, enough food in the cabinet, enough firewood for winter etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I (now) don't shoot nearly as often as I'd like. With my finances, I'm sitting at about 500 rds per caliber that I shoot, plus the components to reload another 500-1000 per caliber.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've got about 1000 for each caliber of semiauto that I have (9, 40 and 45), 1000 for each semiauto rifle (AR and AK), and 200-300 rounds for my revolvers and other guns that I don't shoot much. Also, about 2500 .22LR, but I almost never shoot .22, so that should last me a good long while. I'd like to double all of those amounts, but I'm comfortable that I won't run short. I don't get to the range nearly as much as I'd like to. If I did, I would keep more ammo on hand.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    When I was shooting Action Pistol competitively I would shoot 1000-1200 rounds per trip to the range and would be at the range 3-4 days a week, the two weeks before the Bianchi Cup it would be every day. Even today I can't remember when a range trip has been less than a couple hundred rounds the past few years. I reload so for me it is keeping an adequate supply of components on hand. Rounds I don't reload like 223 I know the bigger lot I buy the better the price so I tend to buy in large lots, a single case doesn't work for me.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    ^This. I like shooting .22s, but have only purchased twice in the three years since Sandy Hook. My supply is still in pretty good shape. Being subject to the whims of mass murderers, anti-gunner tantrums, and panicked ammo buyers is for those who like paying higher prices and not finding ammo when needed.
    HOARDER!!

Top Bottom