• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    When the SHTF and the dollar collapses, what will be the best "currency" to have on hand? Precious metals, ammo, or something else?

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I believe bartering will replace purchasing for awhile, maybe up to a year. Trade goods (food, water, guns, ammo, tools, clothes, medicine, etc) will be worth far more than gold or silver. Nonetheless, keep some gold and silver coins on hand for a few purchases. It can't hurt to have an ample supply of both.

Keep in mind when trading that you don't want to give a desperate man ammo over food, or he may end up with both and you'll be SOL.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    You can't eat precious metals.

You can't eat diamonds.

You can't eat guns or ammo.

BUT

With guns and ammo you can keep the food, precious metals, diamonds,

AND YOUR LIVES that you already have..

Buy guns and ammo!!!

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of your family and friends. :)

Mike

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I think all the above in moderation. Seriously, How many thousand rounds of ammo do you really need? You only need a little to hunt with. Personally, I think a few thousand rounds of 22 should do it for small game. And, I have some deer size ammo but more importantly, the resources to make plenty more.
    Of course you need a show of arms and some ammo to protect your family and stores.
    Think about how many packs of cigerettes you could put in a sealed 5 gallon bucket. People are paying 6 bucks a pack now, imagine when they are gone from the store shelves what they will pay. Oh and I dont think a SHTF sit will be a good time to quit! Or... 1/2 pints of everclear> I dont use either, but I think people will want that stuff RIGHT NOW! You could get creative. Meds, femanine products, pocket knives, batteries.
    Sooner or later though, I think that having some silver in smaller quanities wouldnt be a bad idea.

actop19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I am a firm beliver you should have both. Guns/ammo and food first, then start with the silver. It is impossible to forsee everything you will need, wich is where silver comes in imo. Plus unless you plan on getting services like medical care at the barrel of a gun you will need silver/gold.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Silver twinkies with a primer....
    Blank-Facepalm.gif

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    #1. safe drinkable water

#2. non perishable food (canned goods)

#3. shelter making equiptment (assuming houses are unsafe, etc)

#4. fire

#5. never sell your ammo or guns period.

You hit the nail on the head. Water is number 1,food 2,shelter 3,then Guns and ammo :) As far as silver and gold it would not hurt to have some.They will always be worth something.We have started stocking up on hygiene items as well.Soap,shampoo,towels ect...that will account for a good portion of our trade goods.

Last edited:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Have to agree with actop, take care of the basics first. When you have a least a years supply of food, water and the means to protect them. Then convert some of your disposable income to precious metals.

After the period of emergency is over and the banks open up again and normal commerce is established. ( and it will be ) paper money may be worthless or close to it. Gold, Silver etc. will still have buying power. JMO

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think it depends upon how much $ you have today. You can only store so much ammo, and a big downside to bartering with it is that it may come back to haunt you.

Once you have food, ammo and other supplies, there is nothing wrong with taking left over cash and converting it to precious metals. If shtf doesn't happen in an instant, and is a "slow slide" instead, the value of precious metals may increase, inversely, with the decrease in the value of the fiat dollar.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I know the OP was about PMs vs ammo, but a good survivalist will diversify their investments and no put all of the eggs in one basket. So the correct answer to the OP is both.

The correct answer in general is neither. SHTF comes in many, many forms from personal ones like getting in an auto accident or losing a job to regional and societal ones.

The good survivalist will have a balance of resources both stashed (supplies and preps) and available (insurance, community networks), and will have a plan to hand that preparation down to the next generation once he or she passes on. A good survivalist will value training and experience above all since the most valuable thing you can have is a functioning brain chocked full of useful things.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I know the OP was about PMs vs ammo, but a good survivalist will diversify their investments and no put all of the eggs in one basket. So the correct answer to the OP is both.

The correct answer in general is neither. SHTF comes in many, many forms from personal ones like getting in an auto accident or losing a job to regional and societal ones.

The good survivalist will have a balance of resources both stashed (supplies and preps) and available (insurance, community networks), and will have a plan to hand that preparation down to the next generation once he or she passes on. A good survivalist will value training and experience above all since the most valuable thing you can have is a functioning brain chocked full of useful things.

Could not have said it better:yesway:

Top Bottom