• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    This is all real mortise and tenon, hand tool work on all but making the boards 4S.

0827161229.jpg

0827161301.jpg
    Edit: This detail is key to this bench. It's easy to disassemble and move, but then the leg pockets might wallow out. So the wedges here are held in by gravity and actually tighten by themselves over time:

0827161303a.jpg

0827161302a.jpg

0920161737a.jpg

0209180916.jpg

Last edited:

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Do you guys have any suggestions for bandsaws? I don't see myself doing much in the way of cutting shapes and such. Mainly resawing 6-8" pieces... but they can be pricey when they get big enough to do that kind of work.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I cut it way bigger than I thought she'd want it and took my belt sander to the chainsawed side with a 36 grit belt to knock the highspots off. I was about to run it through the planer when wife came out to inspect progress and was like, STOP! It's perfect. Now I'm not really a fan of the rustic AF look, but if it involves less work, I guess I can be persuaded. So I sanded it up to 320 with the orbital, keeping a large amount of the chainsaw marks for character. I put a 20 degree bevel on the bottom edges so it's easy to pick up, well, kinda easy. It weighs 15 pounds. Gave it 4 coats of mineral oil and called it a day. She's happy and I probably saved $100, so I'm happy.

Only took the wife a year to get around to using it...

2yNmMbJl.jpg

Maybe shoulda made it even bigger.;)

She was going to lay it all out, take a picture, bag it all up and transport it to our friend's house and lay it all back out for New Year's Eve. I was like, screw that. Double wrap it in Saran wrap and put it in the trunk under the cargo net. I drove the 20 miles like my mom on her way to church and when we got there it was still all in place...

cSqGdw8l.jpg

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Some real nice work you guys have done!

Has anyone seen this guy make wood things? His name is Frank Howarth. In this video he turns a soccer ball on his lathe. Amazing stuff.

Yes, I've been subscribed to Frank for several years. I watch a lot of woodworkers on youtube. My all time favorite is Engels Coach Shop. He builds/ rebuilds all sorts of draft vehicles:

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    This is all real mortise and tenon, hand tool work on all but making the boards 4S.

View attachment 172518

View attachment 172519
    Edit: This detail is key to this bench. It's easy to disassemble and move, but then the leg pockets might wallow out. So the wedges here are held in by gravity and actually tighten by themselves over time:

View attachment 172525

View attachment 172528

View attachment 172529

View attachment 172530
    I realize this is weird but I don’t know what it is about hand plane shavings that I find so irresistible, kind of like some people with bubble wrap, they just make me happy ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
    My daughter has developed a stranger version of this. She giggles with glee when we watch “Forged in Fire” and someone flattens a hot billet under the hydraulic press and the scale comes off. She gets group side eye every time.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I realize this is weird but I don’t know what it is about hand plane shavings that I find so irresistible, kind of like some people with bubble wrap, they just make me happy ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
    My daughter has developed a stranger version of this. She giggles with glee when we watch “Forged in Fire” and someone flattens a hot billet under the hydraulic press and the scale comes off. She gets group side eye every time.

Handling an 8ft long shaving that you can read newsprint through makes me happy too...

I'm pretty sure that's the point! Enjoying it!

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    My apparently never ending “art project” that coincidentally involves wood, hit a stage where it is at least usable. The goal is to recreate something from my youth and my heritage, and a place my younger family attached fond memories. That of course is the neighborhood dive bar. During the day at least many of these places were family gathering spots (recently of course, not when my people landed in South Chicago to work at the mills). I’m kinda fudging this from memories both recent and distant, as well as some ideals that just popped into my head. Anyway, I finally got the bar rail installed on the wall mounted hightop across from the main bar area.

4E2AD891-3CAF-4C8D-AC75-49D594DB1882.jpeg

The bar rail will get at least one more coat of stain, the “backsplash” and shelf might. The bar surface itself is primed in black for the epoxy coat it will get soon, either in black or a fake wood treatment.

This table/bar is mounted between two faux “support beams” made out of the worst piece of b/c plywood I could find at home depot. The one on the right is actually mounted over the drywall box that the previous owner built around the real steel post. The wood was nice and distressed already so it didn’t need much help in that department. It was easy to mottle the color with a few different stains, although I with I would have used a flatter polycrylic to finish though; the satin turned out a little too shiny. It’s ok. The “trick” was ripping the plywood with the saw at 50 degrees (no table saw needed, circular saw ftw!) That brought the corners together perfectly - at first glance a carpenter neighbor mistook it for a reclaimed beam. The “posts” in the corner are “anchored” to the fake horizontal beam with distressed angle iron, stock steel and short lag screws for that old structural look.

BA807DE3-2130-4C34-B143-F9D491042720.jpeg

I had too many ideas for the wall above this table so I just painted it black and will fill it up with a TV, cork board, shelves for my some of my 1970s beer can collection and any other bric a brac to add to the ambiance.

The previous owners inexplicably built a box (vertical soffit?) that houses nothing but rather than tear it out, I just did the wood facia treatment again. Unfortunately the corners were such crap (like everything else these people touched in this house :xmad: ) that i couldn’t get the corners to line up perfectly. No problem though, it will be getting a distressed 3/4” metal angle to cap it off, it will add to the esthetic and no one will be the wiser.

52E50C73-5AB1-4E36-93FD-15C0A4F8B9FA.jpeg

More black in back of the bar of course; inspiration has yet to strike about how to arrange custom shelves, lighting, weathered mirror, etc. I’ll be picking up a beverage fridge and pizza-size toaster oven to go back there too. Stay tuned for updates.

Top Bottom