• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Managed to find a lease opportunity out by Crawfordsville. I hunted the property with a friend several years ago and it had good numbers of deer and turkey. Super pumped for the season now!

Hope it goes well for you. I hunt around Crawfordsville and the deer numbers have been way down all around the past few years.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Season seems so far away! I need to sit in a tree for some peace and quiet. Anyone have their bow at the shop yet for a tune up? I’m just ready for opening day and don’t care if I see one. Probably get mine in before long. Seen someone had a nice one on camera in the trail cam thread.

Guess it’s early but Im already thinking about that first morning.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just started putting my hunting bow back together after setting it up as a 2nd target bow. Luckily, I have a LCA press and everything else to do all the tuning myself. I shot a few arrows the other day after setting it back up. 40 yd pin was only off by a couple of yards. I still have the ASA CLassic this weekend, then the IFAA state field shoot in a couple of weeks. I won't worry about my hunting bow until after target season is over. I am itching to get back in a stand though!!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I just started putting my hunting bow back together after setting it up as a 2nd target bow. Luckily, I have a LCA press and everything else to do all the tuning myself. I shot a few arrows the other day after setting it back up. 40 yd pin was only off by a couple of yards. I still have the ASA CLassic this weekend, then the IFAA state field shoot in a couple of weeks. I won't worry about my hunting bow until after target season is over. I am itching to get back in a stand though!!

Is that IFAA in north central area(Wabash?)?

I almost bought my own my own press to do things myself but never did. I like to support the local shops anyway. Good luck in your shoots and I’ll count the days with you till we get to the woods!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunting bow/target bow..........I'll be hunting with my target bow (48# recurve).
    Might dump the 55#...........like the grip and 58" length better......

but the target bow (hunted with last yr).........is set up perfectly.

Have yet to tune the other (mess w spine).
    If I can pop a decent buck with the one bow, sell both and order a brand new Blackwidow :)

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Is that IFAA in north central area(Wabash?)?

I almost bought my own my own press to do things myself but never did. I like to support the local shops anyway. Good luck in your shoots and I’ll count the days with you till we get to the woods!

The IFAA has shoots in all over the state. I don't know if Bass and Bucks does any field. I know they do a lot with 3D. Iroquois in Renssalear does a lot of field. The state shoot is the 25th-26th of this month in Danville.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    :) :) :)

Found a Fast Flite rated Blackwidow HS.

Been looking for a while.

My hunting rig for this yr was to be a 1975 HS (55#, 58")
    But with FF this 54# 58" might have the goods to push a big ol' Snuffer broadhead through a buck.

Unfortunately, it has all the AMO bushings/holes plus the ones on the ends of the riser for the BW quiver.
    So I'm gonna have to fill those with slotted set screws (buy or make)...........or if it really messes with my OCD, fill w epoxy and repaint or maybe even film dip the riser.

They made more HF 1225 than HS.

Still entertaining thoughts of an HF500............to go along with an HS and HF1225.
    A mini collection LOL.

But HF500's in factory paint are even harder to find.

And my HF1225 is posted for sale.........so who knows?
    I still want another new PSA2 made. But that's a lot more $.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So I get the 1991 HS all redone, and the factory quiver, sight and berger button holes are just driving me crazy.
    Think I'll fill em in w epoxy and have to redo the whole riser.

Windy and rainy, have some Zombie Dust. My afternoon is planned :)

agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    Hey y'all,

I think I've found the right place.

Im a long time hunter however I have not hunted with bow in years. When Indiana began to legalize rifle cartridge on private property and straight wall on public, I began to lose interest. Ive since sold my switchback and it seems like archery has progressed a long way and I'm out of the loop now.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, id like to find my passion for it again. Ive been looking to get another setup and I know my local pro shop will help me set up with all the accessories. Ive been looking to keep everything around the 1k range. Lookin at Mathews, Elite, Prime or a Hoyt. I know that's a stretch and will be hard to keep within my price point with those brand.

Whats everyone preference with brand and any pros cons with the ones I've listed. I know Mathews speaks for itself, however what is everyones experience with the others?What sights are you guys using? arrows?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Hey y'all,

I think I've found the right place.

Im a long time hunter however I have not hunted with bow in years. When Indiana began to legalize rifle cartridge on private property and straight wall on public, I began to lose interest. Ive since sold my switchback and it seems like archery has progressed a long way and I'm out of the loop now.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, id like to find my passion for it again. Ive been looking to get another setup and I know my local pro shop will help me set up with all the accessories. Ive been looking to keep everything around the 1k range. Lookin at Mathews, Elite, Prime or a Hoyt. I know that's a stretch and will be hard to keep within my price point with those brand.

Whats everyone preference with brand and any pros cons with the ones I've listed. I know Mathews speaks for itself, however what is everyones experience with the others?What sights are you guys using? arrows?

Here is my thread. See page 2 for what I got. I like the idea of going to a local pro shop but unfortunately you can spend nearly double what someone else will sell it to you for. My bow was $829 with all accessories. Some of the local shops I went to wanted more than that for the exact same bare bow. I’ve been happy with mine and would recommend Mathews to anyone. Hoyt are nice but even more pricey.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/449010-new-compound-bow-suggestions-2.html

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Cant say enough about Lumenok. Had issue with brand new lumenoks bought several years ago. Batteries were dead straight off the shelf. Call lumenok. They replaced all batteries and sent me a bonus Lumenok with no questions asked. Just bought 3 pack from Lumenok, So I would be sure to have fresh batteries. Its the new style nock. Had an issue when pulling my bow back the nock would come off my string. Called lumenok. They were more than happy to replace them with the longer old style that always worked for me. Shipping both ways paid by them.. Very good customer service

agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    where did you purchase the bare bow from? Direct from Mathews?

Here is my thread. See page 2 for what I got. I like the idea of going to a local pro shop but unfortunately you can spend nearly double what someone else will sell it to you for. My bow was $829 with all accessories. Some of the local shops I went to wanted more than that for the exact same bare bow. I’ve been happy with mine and would recommend Mathews to anyone. Hoyt are nice but even more pricey.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/449010-new-compound-bow-suggestions-2.html

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly a demo bow.
    Mathews used to have special graphics on them. Think they dropped that a few yrs back.
    My Switchback XT was a dealer demo, and I was able to scrub off the flo green demo lettering.

BTW, IN doesn't have a PCR straight wall case mandate.

Archery fun,.......I like recurves.
    And messing w cam lever bows.

Interestingly, a place in mid central IN makes strings/cables and some parts for Oneidas (saddles, yokes, rockers)

https://www.facebook.com/HoneyCreekArchery/

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    where did you purchase the bare bow from? Direct from Mathews?

I bought my bow with accessories from Whittaker’s. It was a used bow, but looked by all means brand new. Multiple shops wanted right at that or a hair more for just a bare Halon.

Mathews Halon 6
    Mathews Solocam 3-arrow quiver
    QAD Ultrarest Pro Series drop away rest
    G5 Optics XR2 pin sight
    Axiom 6” Stabilizer

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Am thinking 17" ilf aluminum riser w Uukha shorts.
    Or maybe some other limb w supercurve.

Need to research a bit more. Thought the Uukha was between reg and supercurve

Since Tribe Halo no longer made, might go with ugly arsed Hoyt Satori in 17".
    Lancasters has Uukha 25% carbons.
    Can get the others from Alternative Services but special order, wait several weeks.

Thinking 47#, since my elbow is still screwed up from October.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom