• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I can relate because I did the same thing myself recently. Re-useable projectiles is a heckuva big benefit. I dug out my inexpensive recurve which I (fortunately) kept after selling my Hoyt after injuries. It is good enough for me for now. I flung a few and was hooked again.
    XZPGn7MR

Bow.jpg

XZPGn7MR

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    One problem that immediately presented itself was that my arrow flight was sucking. I had come down about 6# since I last shot, and my arrows were too stiff...the bare shafts were landing well out of the group.

Before-spine.jpg

Attachments

• Before-spine.jpg
      Before-spine.jpg
      255.1 KB · Views: 2

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Sigh...so it looked like some of my DJT stimulus check was going to be headed to Lancaster Archery. A week later, a dozen new ACCs showed up, which the bow seemed to like a lot better. Bare shaft landing right into the group. I think I will use this setup for a while. No sense going back up. Shoulder and neck injuries have made me "sadder but wiser." This is fun. It sure is surprising how much I have to re-learn...and how much I simply never knew. Trying to limit myself to 40-60 arrows a day at this point. But that is hard to do when the weather is nice.
    After-spine.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Sigh...so it looked like some of my DJT stimulus check was going to be headed to Lancaster Archery. A week later, a dozen new ACCs showed up, which the bow seemed to like a lot better. Bare shaft landing right into the group. I think I will use this setup for a while. No sense going back up. Shoulder and neck injuries have made me "sadder but wiser." This is fun. It sure is surprising how much I have to re-learn...and how much I simply never knew. Trying to limit myself to 40-60 arrows a day at this point. But that is hard to do when the weather is nice.
    After-spine.jpg
    It's a good feeling to tap back into a forgotten skill set. I wish I had the time to shoot everyday.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I shot a couple of morning back when this pandemic started. It was nice to go out, in the morning when it was calm. Since, it has,been windy, just about everyday, cold, and turkey season. Hopefully now I get time to go back out.
    Reb5Vwd.jpg

SCB, that is a nice target setup you have there. What kind of target material are you using? I'm considering either investing in or building something larger for 50m / 80cm FITA faces. It seems important that I get this right, because different materials have drawbacks. I have always been happy to use blocks, but it would be nice to have something multiple people can shoot on at once, like you have. Not sure if something like a Whitetail matt is practical for me. They seem like you'd need to get them down and wrestle with them to replace cores. Some of the NASP targets seem nice also.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have a Spyder Web range target. It's 4'x4'. A friend sold them after he closed his shop. I lucked out because I only paid a fraction of retail. I have more money in the shed I built! I have another one in the basement.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I bought a Browning explorer 1 recurve yesterday. It was made in 1971 and looks brand new, beautiful Brazilian rosewood. Shot it today, I like it a lot. It may turn into my new hunting bow.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I bought a Browning explorer 1 recurve yesterday. It was made in 1971 and looks brand new, beautiful Brazilian rosewood. Shot it today, I like it a lot. It may turn into my new hunting bow.

I would love to see a picture of that. I used to have an old Browning catalog from the 70s, and I remember the pictures of those recurve bows. They were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, with the possible exception of the B78 rifle in the same catalog. I remember from looking at the picture I wanted one of those, and I wasn't even overly involved in archery yet. We were in N. Michigan at the time and I saw Bear recurves everywhere (we were on the other end of the AuSable river from Grayling - really in the middle of Fred Bear Country), but there was something about those Brownings. Simply a gorgeous bow. I had a fiberglass camp bow with KMart arrows and next to those, it looked like shxt.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I would love to see a picture of that. I used to have an old Browning catalog from the 70s, and I remember the pictures of those recurve bows. They were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, with the possible exception of the B78 rifle in the same catalog. I remember from looking at the picture I wanted one of those, and I wasn't even overly involved in archery yet. We were in N. Michigan at the time and I saw Bear recurves everywhere (we were on the other end of the AuSable river from Grayling - really in the middle of Fred Bear Country), but there was something about those Brownings. Simply a gorgeous bow. I had a fiberglass camp bow with KMart arrows and next to those, it looked like shxt.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will post some up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Popped a timing cable, got a new one from G String Bowstings (fast).
    Hadn't done one for over a decade.
    Took a little longer than it should have...........bifocals suck.
    Back in one piece

tSAZCpv.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Popped a timing cable, got a new one from G String Bowstings (fast).
    Hadn't done one for over a decade.
    Took a little longer than it should have...........bifocals suck.
    Back in one piece

tSAZCpv.jpg
    That is an interesting looking rig. I've never seen a limb setup like that. Please enlighten.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cam/lever bow.
    Came out in 80's IIRC, first under Oneida labs, then Oneida (New York), then CPO (in Michigan)........and now known as Oneida (owned by Bass Pro's son).

Quite a few changes.......

first ones had bigger pylons out at ends of riser. Those being H250/500 and 600 (and whatever else)
    Then came the more inward pylons, smaller...........Strike Eagle/Aeroforce
    everything cast riser
    Then machined riser, LFM and similar. Still had pylons (where cams attach).
    There was a camless model, offshoot........called the Firebrand Discovery

Lots of people like the cam/lever bow for bowfishing (current model is the Osprey).

There were some boutique builders, Monster (CPO shut em down)........then 5150, American Eagle and a few others.
    Now there are Chinese import models under the RPM bowfishing brand. Cam/lever and camless.

There also is the Muzzy LVX camless lever bow (import).

Only custom bow maker I know of now is G Strings.

Using a lever to roll the cam over, they draw silky smooth. With the power limb position and the way the outboards work, they were pretty much the first parallel limb bows (no shock).

Unfortunately, with a recurve type of limb there is decent string contact, and with pylons acting as sound chambers, they can be loud.
    Many people also didn't know how to tune one, making them louder than they should have been.

Also think by design there is substantial string travel and that mandated a bit stiffer spine.

They have a cult following and fetch a fair price depending on model.
    There are places that can rebuild them.

One is Honeycreek Archery, on FB (located near Greentown IN). I had them make a new performance string for this one.

Back in the old days, Oneidas were the faster bows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Many people shot them fingers (older models) and most of em are of long draw.
    They use modules to change DL but in doing so don't have a hard wall.
    So what you get is a longer valley you can shoot at 28 or 29".......kinda like that (if using a 28" module on a medium cam).
    Kinda sucks.

But they draw stops one could add to the bow to have a hard wall.
    Those were either pylon or cam mounted.

Now the new bows have an adjustable peg (screw) that the outboard limbs contact as a draw stop.
    Those I think are on the non pylon newer models only.

There was a machined riser model, one that could be shot at 50% letoff, long enough for fingers..........called the Black Eagle.
    They are no longer made and not cheap.
    700 bucks for an old bow that needs rebuilt is kinda silly.

But if you want to shoot fingers, machined riser and a silky draw............you have no choice.
    Just the way it is.

I dunno how the new Oneida Phoenix compares. Its 1100 bucks.
    They do have string stops (can be removed) to help with the noise issues.

My issue with the Aeroforce/Strike Eagle is two....

1. The riser is fat ahead of the grip (grip fat too). Thinner panels won't shrink the riser.
    And I like a thinner grip.

2. Weight. These things are tanks (cast riser models).
    The machined ones aint lightweights either (but better).

I've had one screamer, two strike eagles and two or three aeroforce (can't remember LOL).
    Shot a couple over 80#.............they could launch a telephone pole :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The one above is an Aeroforce X80 in Michigan Autumn camo.
    In lesser sun it's striking.

The X 80 had 80% let off modules.
    Wanted to shoot it fingers and took forever to find somebody with the right modules.

This one is a short cam, most will be found as mediums or longs.
    It also came with the draw stops (not pictured).

Not a bad rig for an archery geek that likes to tinker.
    I may hunt it, might sell it. Dunno yet.

Stupid little plastic cam modules were a %$#@ to get to make it a 28" 50% let off rig...........and those two pcs cost me $40.
    Only found one set, in a year of looking. Could find 65% let off every day on Ebay.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Various power and outboard limbs, cams, cables........there's quite a table...........to get the different draw lengths and weights.
    Most dealers these days dunno how to work on em LOL

The info can be found online. Used to be a couple forums with that stuff, but they no longer.
    For info go to FB and check the "lever lovers" group.

Or check the Honeycreek Archery FB page for parts/questions.

Many people pay a good chunk of money for an out of production Oneida and then realize the draw length and or weight isn't what they thought.
    Converting one is not cheap.

I've had mediums and they run just a hair long. The short w 28" modules runs a hair over 28" without using the draw stops. It fits me fingers fine.
    If I wanted to shoot a solid 28" w release I'd add back the draw stops.

This rig, being 50-70# w the short cams, works for me release or fingers.
    Why I bought it (they not for sale very often...........this one actually came from NY).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A decent Aeroforce is around $300
    The LFM $500
    And a Black Eagle $700

Availability also affects pricing.
    Things are kinda dried up at the moment ( some channels ).

I dunno how the loss of a couple boutique builders and the influx of import versions has really affected the older Oneida market.

Some people sell better models at good price and others sell crap for top dollar.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Looking for arrows for my recurve bow. Been out of Archery for a long time and the place I ordered from is out of business. Yeah I know I can do a Google search, problem is the reviews are all over the place, 5 Stars to 1 Stars. As with most online reviews it's worthless. So looking for some input from trusted sources i.e. INGO.

Thanks

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Looking for arrows for my recurve bow. Been out of Archery for a long time and the place I ordered from is out of business. Yeah I know I can do a Google search, problem is the reviews are all over the place, 5 Stars to 1 Stars. As with most online reviews it's worthless. So looking for some input from trusted sources i.e. INGO.

Thanks

Were it me, I would take a trip to Ft. Wayne and visit 3 Rivers Archery Supply for anything to do with traditional bows.

Top Bottom