• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I prefer regular archery, but it takes a lot more practice. That is something you have to consider as well. To me, if you can shoot a gun well, you can shoot a crossbow well. You just have to sight in your scope/red dot, and effective range. Most companies make quality equipment. Any of the options you mentioned would work.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I just wanted to throw a shout out to george at Riverside archery. I bought my first bow, a Mathews Heli-m used. He is not a mathews dealer, but he was more than happy to help me get it setup to fit me. Stand up guy, and i love the outdoor 3D range they have. $5 to shoot all day. Can't beat it.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Sorry, but just can't resist throwing a wrench in the cross bow thing. I strongly believe they should not be allowed during the regular season. I think it started out with the premise that folks who had a disability should be able to participate in the archery season. Somehow that morphed into anyone who was too lazy to practice or just too inept to shoot even a compound bow should be alowed to use a cross bow. I realize this can/will open up the compound bow vs traditional argument ( who can't hit an animal with an 85% let off compound, a $400 illuminated sight, and $200 a dozen carbon arrows ? )

Too me, holding a crossbow at your shoulder with a dot reticle sight and pulling the trigger is not much different than shooting a gun. In a stretch it could be compared to a muzzleloader - at least the older style flintlock rifles with the comparison being somewhat limited accuracy range ( especially with iron sights ) and single shot functionality. As a disclaimer I've neither owned nor even shot a modern crossbow. However, if the ads in the hunting magazines can be believed, modern crossbows demonstrate the same accuracy and distance capability as modern center fire rifles.

Feel free to flame on !

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Sorry, but just can't resist throwing a wrench in the cross bow thing. I strongly believe they should not be allowed during the regular season. I think it started out with the premise that folks who had a disability should be able to participate in the archery season. Somehow that morphed into anyone who was too lazy to practice or just too inept to shoot even a compound bow should be alowed to use a cross bow. I realize this can/will open up the compound bow vs traditional argument ( who can't hit an animal with an 85% let off compound, a $400 illuminated sight, and $200 a dozen carbon arrows ? )

Too me, holding a crossbow at your shoulder with a dot reticle sight and pulling the trigger is not much different than shooting a gun. In a stretch it could be compared to a muzzleloader - at least the older style flintlock rifles with the comparison being somewhat limited accuracy range ( especially with iron sights ) and single shot functionality. As a disclaimer I've neither owned nor even shot a modern crossbow. However, if the ads in the hunting magazines can be believed, modern crossbows demonstrate the same accuracy and distance capability as modern center fire rifles.

Feel free to flame on !

Yup, and the flintlock guys don`t think the in-line guys should be able to hunt muzzloader, and the recurve guys don`t think compound guys should be able to hunt their season...and so on, and so on. But the fact is, crossbows are legal during Indiana`s archery season. It`s still throwing an arrow, (bolt), it`s still very limited range because it is still archery tackle. The advantages are, it get`s more hunters involved and in the field, and it`s more accurate if the crossbow is properly maintained, so more clean kills should be recorded. Oh, and no...a crossbow has no where near the range of any firearm.

But as to your objections, feel free to not hunt the general archery season with a crossbow. But since it`s legal, many will, including me.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Has anyone started dusting off their archery gear? I haven't touched my hunting bow since last season have been shooting my target bow since last December. The ASA Classic is over so my 3D season also finished for the year. The past 3 days I have been setting up to shoot a field shoot. It is at Pine Hill in Danville the 26th and 27th. All known distance from 20 ft to 80 yds shooting paper targets. Should be a fun shoot.
    For those who do not practice at longer distances, you need to. I have a 60 yds pin on my hunting bow and will practice shooting that far to make me better at closer distances. You really see bad shots that far out. This week I have been starting at 40 yds and work back to 80 yds. When I am finished I go to 30 yds and and it seems so much easier. After this shoot I will put the target bow up for a while and focus on deer hunting.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Tune up for bow season.

Went to Trophy Ranch in Ubly Mi this weekend with some friends. My son and I took a Russian boar and a ram. Used Rage 2 blade mechanical broad heads for the first time. Those things are nasty. We both pull about 53 lbs. They dropped both. We walked about 6 miles each day. It was a ton of fun. Good luck to everyone this year. Stay safe.

First time at this type of preserve. Service was great. Really good guys.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Did something I thought I would never do….just ordered a Barnett Edge Crossbow package. Been bow hunting since the 70's, and hunting with the old 1992 Hoyt and takin lots of deer. last few years eyes ain't what they use to be, had to make peep hole bigger, low light conditions are terrible for me and have bifocals…had glasses all my life so its a wonder I done so good. Think I will get the deer package deal, I think with that I can trade off if I want to. And its something new to keep me interested as after so many years I don't get out to the stand like I use to, although last weekend was out on 3 wheeler checking trails and stand and came within literally 20 feet of a standing buck just staring at me, I had stopped and just happened to see him…..huge velvet rack with at least 6-8 points on each side! Points coming off of points…I was too much in shock to count…then he just turned and 3 steps and he had disappeared…its a jungle back there. Even got interested in getting the trail cam back out and haven't had it out in over 5 years.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have been shooting about every evening in my basement for the past month getting ready for the first ASA tournament of the year next month. I enjoyed the warm up the past couple of days and shot outside. Now that hunting season is over I can’t wait for tournament season.
    92A53C39-2F4B-4F96-BE31-EF7F711DC54D.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had Sage limbs on a Cartel riser for bowfishing. Read excellent reviews on a couple of trad sites.
    They are so FOS. Riser flex was weird, that and the length made me sell it.
    The limbs were fine, a bit rough at the edges.......I sanded and sealed and cleared them. Shoulda been done at factory that way.

Have had two Samick Equus and one Phantom, plus a Tradtech Pinnacle 2 (made by Samick). The last one after a few yrs did have riser delam.
    Guess that was enough of an issue TT redid their lineup.
    Korean, moved to China........think they had some QC issues for a spell.

Currently just run two old Blackwidows, HF1225 48# 62" and HS 55# 58".
    Like to have another one built (PCH, 50#, 56") but don't shoot enough to justify the expense.
    Even if I did, injuries could make it an expensive decoration (back issues).

Proly snag a Bear K mag for bowfishing.

I do not know who is making the PSE Sage like recurve. Ragim did stuff for them yrs ago and they had a lot of limb issues.
    Hard to beat .......can bolt up quiver/fishing reel etc.
    But they make 'em all 62"....................ugh.

Short riser w adaptability, yeah plunk the $$$ for a Morrison riser, or Vantage Point.
    The Hoyt Sartori is a bit funky looking, they should have just shortened the Dorado riser and did ILF, instead of what they did.
    I slapped Tradtech wood/glass limbs (easy conversion) on a Dorado and it IMHO was a "best bang" for the buck recurve.

But I like the old heavy Widows a little more ;)
    And like 58" for hunting/3D.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, and the flintlock guys don`t think the in-line guys should be able to hunt muzzloader, and the recurve guys don`t think compound guys should be able to hunt their season...and so on, and so on. But the fact is, crossbows are legal during Indiana`s archery season. It`s still throwing an arrow, (bolt), it`s still very limited range because it is still archery tackle. The advantages are, it get`s more hunters involved and in the field, and it`s more accurate if the crossbow is properly maintained, so more clean kills should be recorded. Oh, and no...a crossbow has no where near the range of any firearm.

But as to your objections, feel free to not hunt the general archery season with a crossbow. But since it`s legal, many will, including me.

I hunt recurve, as do a bunch of my buds, and not a one has a problem compound guys.
    Bunch of them build MZ too, and yeah.........have gone flinter. But they have no issue with iron sighted percussion cap hammer dudes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Did something I thought I would never do….just ordered a Barnett Edge Crossbow package. Been bow hunting since the 70's, and hunting with the old 1992 Hoyt and takin lots of deer. last few years eyes ain't what they use to be, had to make peep hole bigger, low light conditions are terrible for me and have bifocals…had glasses all my life so its a wonder I done so good. Think I will get the deer package deal, I think with that I can trade off if I want to. And its something new to keep me interested as after so many years I don't get out to the stand like I use to, although last weekend was out on 3 wheeler checking trails and stand and came within literally 20 feet of a standing buck just staring at me, I had stopped and just happened to see him…..huge velvet rack with at least 6-8 points on each side! Points coming off of points…I was too much in shock to count…then he just turned and 3 steps and he had disappeared…its a jungle back there. Even got interested in getting the trail cam back out and haven't had it out in over 5 years.

Fuzzy pins...............might want to look at these
    https://specialtyarch.com/verifiers/

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hey all, just jumping into the thread again. Signed up for a year at Koteewi, so I hope to see a few of you out there. I will be the fat guy with an Alphamax 35.

Is anyone going to the Hunting Africa seminar out there tomorrow night?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Not sure where to start but my wife and I want to get a recurve or a compound bow that she can use. Starting out on targets and going from there

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    #40 compound has more ke energy than a #50 longbow and I have killed deer with no problems. With 80% let off she be holding hardly anything.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I bought an Excalibur 330 Bulldog and pick it up Monday. Still keeping my other bows. Not ready to give them up yet.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Managed to find a lease opportunity out by Crawfordsville. I hunted the property with a friend several years ago and it had good numbers of deer and turkey. Super pumped for the season now!

Top Bottom