• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    There has been a lot of discussion about survival items....things for bobs, Etc. I haven't seen anyone say anything about a bottle of alcohol (not rubbing....Im talking vodka, rum, etc) It has a number of great uses:

1. Disinfectant/starilizer
    2. Flammable liquid
    3. Mood lifter when times are bad (i realize it could have opposite effect with some.)
    4. Pain killer
    5. Blood tinner if you have heart problems. (again i realize there are dangerous but i am talking a shtf situation.)
    6. You can make weapons...(molatov....spray to temp hinder vision)

Im sure there is more....i have few pints in my bob.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Alcohol is the ONLY drug that can kill an addict when they withdraw from the substance. Since alcohol is a legal drug, I'm sure we all know at least 1 person who is chemically addicted, as sad as it is. These cases make alcohol very valuable as a barter item, not only as a medical item, in the economic/political collapse.

Even more valuable than a case of Jack is the skill and equipment necessary to brew beer, wine, and distill the hard stuff. Do something wrong and you can end up blind!!

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    I'm constantly adding booze to our bar at home. Figure it has a multitude of uses and if nothing else you could possibly barter with it. The same reason I keep several cartons of smokes even though neither my wife or I are smokers.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been consuming lots of it since the SHTF. You guys do realize that we are living in post SHTF times RIGHT NOW?

What do I know. Bottoms up..... Wooo, woooo.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    EVERCLEAR is a staple in all of our BOBs as well as in every vehicle we have. The materials needed to make more are readily avail in my home and garage also. In fact every thread about bobs that I have ever posted in mentions alcohol as well as Imodium and Benadryl, I know this because I post it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This reminds me that I need to pickup a bottle of good whiskey. I like to keep a some around the house but by no means plan on stocking up. I considered keeping a flask in my BOB but decided not to because of weight. I would rather carry an extra water bottle or toy for the kids. I do agree that having some good booze on hand for trading and such would be a good idea.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Buy the cheapest crap possible, if you plan on trading. The people willing to pay a premium for it wont care what kind it is. They just want their fix.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Buy the cheapest crap possible, if you plan on trading. The people willing to pay a premium for it wont care what kind it is. They just want their fix.

True enough, but I appreciate a good bourbon every once in a while. As I get older beer upsets my belly. One or two with dinner or a cold one on a hot day is my limit. The same applies to rock gut whiskey and other spirits sold in plastic, screw top bottles. Stock what you will consume. Since alcohol is not something I need to get through the day whatever happens to be in the cabinet is fair game for trading or as a friendly conversation starter.
    :buddies:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Alcohol is the ONLY drug that can kill an addict when they withdraw from the substance.

Do you have a cite for that? Because I don't believe it to be entirely acurate.

Even more valuable than a case of Jack is the skill and equipment necessary to brew beer, wine, and distill the hard stuff. Do something wrong and you can end up blind!!

I agree that knowing how to brew beer, make wine, and to be able to distill those into higher concentrates are all useful peices of knowledge to have, especially in a SHTF situation, when you are having to try and rebuild civilization. The "blindness" arguement though, is realtively moot when home distilling, as you are most likely not going to be adding antifreeze or battery acid to your own hooch. A little research on the topic and a person could be well on there way to making their own spirits.

***Disclaimer*** Sidearmed DOES NOT condone, encourage, or recomend distilling your own homemade hooch in any way shape or form. It is illegal to do so in the USA. He does however, disagree with the legislation that makes such activities illegal and feels that it is one more right stripped away from the citizenry of the USA, and feels that it is only illegal because the government is unable to collect tax revenues on said home spirits.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We also buy the BIG cheap bottles of vodka and rum at wallyworld to have at the house for barter or for just gettin' drunk. I agree 100% though, why stock betadyne and rubbing alcohol when ethyl alcohol serves the same needs and MANY more.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    A little research on the topic and a person could be well on there way to making their own spirits.

***Disclaimer*** Sidearmed DOES NOT condone, encourage, or recomend distilling your own homemade hooch in any way shape or form. It is illegal to do so in the USA. He does however, disagree with the legislation that makes such activities illegal and feels that it is one more right stripped away from the citizenry of the USA, and feels that it is only illegal because the government is unable to collect tax revenues on said home spirits.

You are correct the primary reason for it being illegal to distil spirits at home is the "tax revenue"

the other reason is Safety. If the foreshots and heads are not removed properly, the volatile compounds, which include acetone, methanol, and others will contaminate the entire batch. These are what cause hangovers in low doses and blindness and possible even death in high doses.

The type of distiller used and the amount of spirit being produced will determine the amount of heads and foreshot that need to be captured and removed from the still.

That is why they require adequate tubing and other rules in a plant and do not allow the plant to be a dwelling.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    the other reason is Safety. If the foreshots and heads are not removed properly, the volatile compounds, which include acetone, methanol, and others will contaminate the entire batch. These are what cause hangovers in low doses and blindness and possible even death in high doses.

The type of distiller used and the amount of spirit being produced will determine the amount of heads and foreshot that need to be captured and removed from the still.

That is why they require adequate tubing and other rules in a plant and do not allow the plant to be a dwelling.

Quite Right, As with just about any task, an ounce of research/education is worth a pound of... oh you get the point, my attempt at being witty is failing miserably. Oh look something shiny.....

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Quite Right, As with just about any task, an ounce of research/education is worth a pound of... oh you get the point, my attempt at being witty is failing miserably. Oh look something shiny.....

:rofl:

and what you call education/research I call a lack or repeat...oh wait uhh never mind.

Top Bottom