• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've run into ONE good guy while shopping for a bike. (He knows who he is)

In the past, back BK (before kids), I used to ride a bit. Only 'standard' style bikes.

I took out a Suzuki GS500 the other night. I thought the more crotch-rocket, sporty bike had a steering feel completely different than a standard bike. Perhaps it was just this one. Or, are all sportier bikes more of a lean-to-turn than compared to standard bikes or even cruisers? I thought it felt odd.

Other question: When folks list bikes as 'no title', what does that say to me? How should those be handled? Any differently? What's the process to title a bike, otherwise? Should this be a warning sign of wrecked/salvaged/stolen? Or just a lazy owner? :)

Thanks!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    No title means something is afoot. Stolen is the usual case, since if it was totaled at some it should have gotten at least a salvage title. I won't buy a bike without one, period.

Sportbikes will have a much different feel than a cruiser and will requires much less effort to get turned due to their steering geometry.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Spend just as much money on the helmet and safety equipt as you do the bike and you might be alright.

That's sick. Anyway you could edit that and just make a link? I just took my first bite of lunch. Your point is not lost on me, just so you know. I've HIT a car riding. I've known those that have died, too. point taken.

THANKS FOR REMOVING THE IMAGE. Just so you know, I've sent those SAME images to a co worker whom I thought had no business riding a bike. He's about 50,000 miles from that time I did that. He's done pretty good, and I'm glad.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Good gear will save your life.

My lid saved my life, and here are the pics to prove it!

The accident Scene and truck that hit me.

oops2.jpg

Should've been dead, but this piece of gear took the brunt of it

CIMG0282.jpg

Still ride. Took up racing too. Been down at triple digits speeds on the track, but the proper gear has kept me in one piece each time.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here is a reply from a "No title" craigslister. I have no reason to KNOW that he is running afoul of the law. But I asked anyway. And having never bought one like this, I thought I'd ask here as well.

Sorry I forgot you asked about the title. Probably the easiest way to title it would be to go to the BMV and apply for a mechanics lien. In other words say that you worked on the bike and the owner never paid you and abandoned the bike. I had checked into getting a title the normal way about 6 months ago but the BMV wants you to jump through too many hoops for that. I believe the mechanics lien would be the easiest route to follow.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Here is a reply from a "No title" craigslister. I have no reason to KNOW that he is running afoul of the law. But I asked anyway. And having never bought one like this, I thought I'd ask here as well.

So let me get this straight... he has no title, never had a title, and is telling you to lie to get the title?

Seems to me if it was so easy to get the title that way, he'd have done it already. Except for the whole part where they run the VIN and find its stolen. BEtter you than him for that part.

Run away, and report this dude to the authorities.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm in no shape to run. :)
    What's the worst that could happen? :) :) :)

You give this guy your hard earned money, and then the bike gets taken as stolen property. Or, you're never able to register or insure it, so if you get pulled over, you're screwed for more money. Not to mention you'd be subsidizing bike thieves. Buying a bike you have good reason to believe is stolen makes you just as bad as the original thief, and quite possibly opens you up to criminal liability.

Not worth it, IMO.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Totally agree. That's why I used up my daily supply of smiley faces.

I am interested on those who ride standards and sports and if they are all two very different feels on steering. Or, are some manufacturers/brands moreso different?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Totally agree. That's why I used up my daily supply of smiley faces.

I am interested on those who ride standards and sports and if they are all two very different feels on steering. Or, are some manufacturers/brands moreso different?

Brand has nothing to do with it. Steering geometry and weight determines "feel." Sportbikes feel the way they do because they have less rake and trail, and weigh much less. Cruisers feel the way they do because they have more rake, trial and weight.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Go to the Harley Dealer and buy a real bike. :D

I went. I am near Southside Harley. Man, I'm looking for sub-$1,000 bikes. The only thing Southside (should) have cheap is a Buell Blast. But they did not even have on in stock. There are a few used ones for sale for under $3k. And I hear bad things about Buells.

Bottom line is that I cannot afford a Harley. Plus, I want something whisper quiet (comparatively) and smooooth. No vibration.

I know, sounds more like a scooter. ;)

You know what I like? I like standard bikes and styles from early to mid 80s. Just like my music. Those were my teen years and for me ALL TIME STOPS THEN. U2 just barely slips in to 'okay' timeframe for me. :)

I like flat seats, or seats that have small stair step. Sit up bikes, not lie down, not lie back. Normal position and width handlebars. Nice, treaded tires. Not racing slicks.

I've got my eye on these and similar bikes. I might be able to stretch my budget depending upon wifey.

Honda CB900 Custom

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 700 in Indiana - Free Indiana Classified Ads

82 Honda CB900C in Indiana - Free Indiana Classified Ads

1985 HONDA CB650SC NIGHTHAWK: Standard - CycleTrader.com

1981 honda cx 500 custom

1982 Honda CB900 Custom

1982 Honda V45

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    "Harley Davidson - the most efficient way to convert gas into noise without generating any horsepower." :laugh:

Top Bottom