• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Wanted to get a survey of some rimfire shooters.

I've got an upgraded 10/22 (Tactical Solutions bull barrel, BX Trigger Upgrade). I've never shot competitively with it aside from a casual "league" at an outdoor range I frequent. It was a 50 yard bench rest event, shooting 5 times at 5 bullseye targets. The few times I shot at this league I won or placed second out of 10-20 shooters. The guy that beat me, per the range manager, was using an expensive CZ bolt set up. He beat me be 1 or 2 bullseyes.
    I feel good about my cheap 10/22. I've never felt the need to have a more accurate rifle for the casual shooting and squirrel hunting I'm able to do with my set up.

At what point would you feel the need to "upgrade" in accuracy from a 10/22 to a more inherently accurate platform like a bolt action?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It's a completely personal choice and everyone is different. I could envision three scenarios that would prompt me to upgrade.

1. You want to win but your competition is consistently beating you with better equipment

2. You want to improve your own personal performance

3. You get bored with your 10/22 and want a new project to work on

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd have to get a lot better before I would need to upgrade from a 10/22 to something else. This was today after I zeroed my scope.

If I was any good, both of those would have been one hole groups.

I don't know why the one pic loads upside down but I shot it right side up, lol.
    25 Yard Sighters-10-22.jpg
    50 Yard Sighters-10-22.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The 2 10/22s I've built are plenty good for me, even with bulk ammo. Groups get a little tighter with SK or Eley ammo.

This pic is 50 yards with bulk ammo and absolutely perfect conditions with a bipod.

View attachment 134032
    While these are good groups they aren't podium competitive against a mildly build 457 or many of the other common bolt rifles at nrl. But you would still have fun

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My opinion......a stock 10/22 will not shoot, so its up grade city.....but several bolt guns (starting in the $400 area) will out shoot a 10/22 hands down,with no upgrades. No im not talking about an Anschutz or a Walther, but Savage.
    If you must have a semi auto Savage , or Kidd......in my opinion there are better rifles out there than a Ruger anything......I personally think its silly to buy a $350 rifle to put $400 worth of upgrades in to to have with a $400 out of the box rifle.
    Then again the guy behind the trigger is the ultimate hit or miss reason.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    While these are good groups they aren't podium competitive against a mildly build 457 or many of the other common bolt rifles at nrl. But you would still have fun
    Yeah I know, but I dont shoot competitively. Just for fun. What's great is I dont have more than $500 in either rifle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not cheap
    Thats the killer for me. The argument with myself over how much to spend per round to run against young eyes like yours and or seasoned old competitors that can think shots into hitting where they want, without even seeing well.

:dunno:

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I think once you start stretching out to 100 yards or beyond with a .22lr, is where you might find justification for a bolt action. At 50 yards or so, it's difficult to differentiate the accuracy of a good semi-auto (Kidd, Volquartsen, Tacsol, Green Mountain, etc.) with a decent bolt action.

The Vudoo Gunworks bolt action rifles, in particular, offer a unique way of chambering the round without touching the nose of the bullet as it enters chamber. This results in a defect-free bullet and translates to better accuracy...especially way down range where a very small trajectory inconsistency results in fairly substantial poi variability.

I enjoy competing with semi-autos and bolt actions. The time allotted for a particular stage could be an argument for a semi-auto, as it's always faster to run the semi-auto. Conversely, Eley Tenex runs better in my bolts action and accuracy is incredible. Lapua Midas + tends to run well in all my guns.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That rifle doesn't seem to be that picky with ammo. Those are all respectable groups
    Yeah. It's a great shooter. I built my daughter one for this past Christmas using basically the same everything other than the stock. She's only had it out once at 25 yards, but was plenty accurate with just Federal blue box, and breaking it in

20210404_191005.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Another thing for me, anyways, is that I tend to be more accurate with a bolt action. I am more deliberate setting up the shot while I tend to be a sloppier with a semi. I'm guessing the few seconds to work the bolt resets something in my brain so I go though my preshot checklist (eye, cheek, hand placement, reticle centered, breath, etc) before I pull the trigger.
    Others might be the exact opposite since they don't have to make much movement other than with their trigger finger with a semi.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Mainly just CCI. I'm happy with the accuracy. Most of my misses are on me.
    If you can find it, try some of lower grade offerings from SK and Eley. Much, much more consistent than anything loaded this side of the Atlantic. You might just find that some of the misses aren't you. SK Standard+ is only a couple bucks a brick more than CCI SV, same with Eley Action.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You may as well kick a man’s dog and insult his momma as say his choice of rimfire rifle isn’t the best.

There’s been some great commentary here, y’all. Very civil also.

Bolt accuracy, at the upper end, will probably halve that of any 10/22 anybody here has ever seen, much less owned. It’s just not a thing, and it’s not a reasonable expectation that they would be competitive in that deep, dark rathole.

My 10/22 can empty 10 rounds in well less than the time I can empty 5 in my bolt guns...and I’m pretty fast on a bolt. It found itself with one ‘a those barrels from TX, and is at the most a 5/8” gun at 50, probably less (will find out this summer).

I see reasons to own both.

The biggest reason is because I can.

Top Bottom