• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I know some really enjoy trading around and trying different firearms, especially some of the newer ones on the market. As for me, I'm more utilitarian and have guns that necessarily aren't "new to the market". I usually stick with guns that have been around for a decade or longer. No particular reason. "New" guns generally don't get me excited. Off the top of my head I think the only "newer" firearms I have is a S&W Shield Plus and a Ruger MKIV lite. Everything else I have has been in production for at least 10yrs

Reactions: Mij

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Going by actual release date on the market?

Jeeze, with the exception of optics I don't have much that is genuinely new. KP15 lower? Even the RDB and Scorpion have been kicking around for a while. None of my pistols even have optics cuts.

My A300UP from a couple months ago is probably the only new release, and it's dope as hell. Been thinking about an OR carry gun with better capacity, but the 365 horror stories are concerning and for some reason S&W won't make a ported 3.1 PC Shield Plus with an optics cut.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I think for this thread to truly work, @NyleRN needs to state a date that constitutes “newer.” Some people make think that their 2001 G17 Gen3 is newer because it isn’t a vintage Walther P-38 or some such lol.

Edit: or maybe I’m an idiot and got distracted partway through reading the OP and missed the 10yr comment at the very end… :lmfao:

Edit 2: after counting things up, 37.5% or 3/8 of my collection is newer by the standard of a decade, based on the release date for each specific model. If you go by when the base design was released, that’s reduced to about 31% (my Langdon Tactical Elite is a Beretta 92 base, so while it was released only a few years ago, the 92 dates much further back).

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    A very small percentage, probably my most newish type is my SAR Tavor, I was lucky enough to order it right before Sandy Hook and the ensuing "crazy" market that followed.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    A very small percentage, probably my most newish type is my SAR Tavor, I was lucky enough to order it right before Sandy Hook and the ensuing "crazy" market that followed.
    I didn't include my X95 because the IDF had been using that at least 10yrs ago. But, as mentioned up thread, some guns have a "base" platform from years ago and it makes it quirky to say it's new to the market. When I think new to market I think of things like the Ruger PCC or the Echelon for example

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I know what you are saying OP. Its interesting to see new stuff come out but I generally won't buy until its been out a while and it gains aftermarket support. There's something very nice about older guns that are easy to find holsters and aftermarket parts for.

Only have one (6%) less than 10 years old. LCP II in 380....came out in 2016.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I didn't include my X95 because the IDF had been using that at least 10yrs ago. But, as mentioned up thread, some guns have a "base" platform from years ago and it makes it quirky to say it's new to the market. When I think new to market I think of things like the Ruger PCC or the Echelon for example

In that case I have 0 percent new to the market guns. Although a friend of mine is trying to sell me a Springfield VHS Hellion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Newer guns? I am not against trying new things but am usually slow in switching away from what I am comfortable with.

I did pick up a S&W CSX which is a new design for a higher capacity, small 9mm. That market has really taken off the last few years.

Sig Cross, the idea of lightweight folding stock .308 intrigued me. It would be a good choice for a those looking for a more modern hunting or utility rifle.

Walther Q5 Match. I wanted to experiment with a Carry Optics style gun and red dot on a handgun.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know some really enjoy trading around and trying different firearms, especially some of the newer ones on the market. As for me, I'm more utilitarian and have guns that necessarily aren't "new to the market". I usually stick with guns that have been around for a decade or longer. No particular reason. "New" guns generally don't get me excited. Off the top of my head I think the only "newer" firearms I have is a S&W Shield Plus and a Ruger MKIV lite. Everything else I have has been in production for at least 10yrs
    You and I may be alike, but I am even more conservative. But I am not adverse to a new firearm if it doesn't break one of my purchase rules.

Rule Number 1. NO POLYMER FRAMES/LOWERS. I have seen what happens to old plastic on cars. no thanks.. Polymer stocks and other parts ok, as long as they are easily replaced.
    Rule Number 2. No guns with Picatinny rails. Exception made for an AR upper with a carry handle attachment that fully covers the rail on a flat top AR upper. This also means the cheese grater fore ends on a lot of pistol frames now a days. Optics plates on pistols will be tolerated, just they will never be used.
    Rule Number 3. Carbines, Tactical Rifles, and Tactical shotguns must have a method to attach a Bayonet
    Rule Number 4. No firearms made in, or designed by Communist countries.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You and I may be alike, but I am even more conservative. But I am not adverse to a new firearm if it doesn't break one of my purchase rules.

Rule Number 1. NO POLYMER FRAMES/LOWERS. I have seen what happens to old plastic on cars. no thanks.. Polymer stocks and other parts ok, as long as they are easily replaced.
    Rule Number 2. No guns with Picatinny rails. Exception made for an AR upper with a carry handle attachment that fully covers the rail on a flat top AR upper. This also means the cheese grater fore ends on a lot of pistol frames now a days. Optics plates on pistols will be tolerated, just they will never be used.
    Rule Number 3. Carbines, Tactical Rifles, and Tactical shotguns must have a method to attach a Bayonet
    Rule Number 4. No firearms made in, or designed by Communist countries.

I have seen you mention bayonets in several other threads. With a name like Big Moose I picture this really big, slightly heavy set, bald guy running out of his house with a bayonet yelling at people to get off his lawn. Style points for doing it your boxers and house shoes.

(For the record I do not know the Moose. He could be a little 20s something guy with a a man bun. But I assume he has a sense of humor and I have less then no desire to see him in his boxers.)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think I have a fairly even mix.
    in handguns, I have some older Brownings, SW, Colt,etc. then I have newfangled USPs and even some striker fireds.
    Rifles, same thing, Garands, and other milsurps up to ARs and AKs.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have seen you mention bayonets in several other threads. With a name like Big Moose I picture this really big, slightly heavy set, bald guy running out of his house with a bayonet yelling at people to get off his lawn. Style points for doing it your boxers and house shoes.

(For the record I do not know the Moose. He could be a little 20s something guy with a a man bun. But I assume he has a sense of humor and I have less then no desire to see him in his boxers.)
    Nah I still got tons of hair. And I am not a boxer man.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nah I still got tons of hair. And I am not a boxer man.

More info than we need. Not sure being a briefs sort of guy helps the image any.

In before somebody pipes in with “commando”. You just can’t lob up a softball like that and not take a swing.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    More info than we need. Not sure being a briefs sort of guy helps the image any.

In before somebody pipes in with “commando”. You just can’t lob up a softball like that and not take a swing.
    nah I wear summer shorts around the house in the winter.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I'm far enough from neighbors that a nekkid old man in crocs with a bayonet on an AR is a possibility.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If the cutoff for "new" is a decade, I don't have much. A few P320s because that's what I use for work, a couple of ARs (does a design from the '60s count as "new"?), a CZ 457 (because I couldn't get a 452 in the configuration I wanted), a Ruger American Rimfire (which I'm considering selling now that I have the CZ) and MkIV (which I love, but I also have a MkII that isn't going anywhere...I just bought the MkIV so I could mount a dot and a can without cutting up my MkII).

I've tried out quite a few other "new" things over the years, but most of them have been sold off while the older stuff sticks around.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Let's see. Tikka T3x (1), Tikka T1x (2), Bergara B14r (1). That's it. Have a several that are newer than 10 years but the model has been around longer. And like Doggy Daddy the majority of the collection is much, much, older. With the exception of my first T1x I wait until something has been around for at least a couple of years, let somebody else do the testing.

Top Bottom