• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Hopefully they pay the fines and go broke. I’m sure they’ll find a way around it though.
    Nextera is the company that tried to set up shop in Boone county for a solar farm, the neighbors went against them and stopped it.
    No matter where you stand on renewable energy you could see from their interactions that they are not pure of heart pure as the wind driven snow (pun intended) green energy purists. Follow the money, someone once said.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The Boone County solar farm was doomed from the start. Think the residents in the area would stand still for solar panels in their backyards ? Think again. The management of that company had to be very naive or stupid or both. Too many NIMBY folks in the area - or any area for that matter. (Not in my back yard)

Think green energy has a chance to replace fossil fuel ? If you do, show me scientific proof.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The Boone County solar farm was doomed from the start. Think the residents in the area would stand still for solar panels in their backyards ? Think again. The management of that company had to be very naive or stupid or both. Too many NIMBY folks in the area - or any area for that matter. (Not in my back yard)

Think green energy has a chance to replace fossil fuel ? If you do, show me scientific proof.
    Howdy neighbor?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    But wind energy is good for the environment!

:poop: dreamt up by Progressives. Setting up a wind farm takes too much space that could be used for homes or farms or many other things. The wind turbines kill massive amounts of birds, plus they don't last very long and need replacement parts often. Best thing we could do is stop the alarmism from people who don't know WTF they're talking about and go back to fossil fuels and nuclear.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This is the company that is setting up the solar projects in Starke, Pulaski and Jasper counties. I believe it involves 30,000 acres between Starke and Pulaski counties alone. I am unsure of how many acres are involved in Jasper, but nearly every field on State Road 10 between 421 and 49 appear to be getting set up for the panels. It makes me sad. I used to see so many sandhill cranes in those fields when I go to visit my parents. This past winter as they have begun construction on the project, I have seen very few of these birds. The panels aren't even in yet, and the birds have changed their route. They are apparently putting in a field about a mile from our house as well.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This is the company that is setting up the solar projects in Starke, Pulaski and Jasper counties. I believe it involves 30,000 acres between Starke and Pulaski counties alone. I am unsure of how many acres are involved in Jasper, but nearly every field on State Road 10 between 421 and 49 appear to be getting set up for the panels. It makes me sad. I used to see so many sandhill cranes in those fields when I go to visit my parents. This past winter as they have begun construction on the project, I have seen very few of these birds. The panels aren't even in yet, and the birds have changed their route. They are apparently putting in a field about a mile from our house as well.

Instead of the very minor amount of energy that will be generated on those 10's of thousands of acres, we could just turn the pipelines back on and have way more energy, much more cheaply and have all of that land to use for other things. Garbage politicians and their garbage ideas... :xmad:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It was not that hard to stand against them. Don’t get me wrong a lot of people put in a lot of work to get them stopped in our area, but in the big picture it was so worth it, and not that hard. The “smart people” they had defending their arguments were idiots, and the simplest of person could have defended their homeland against them, once organized.
    It’s a shame.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    My understanding is the blades have a life span of IIRC 25 years, could be wrong on the time. Then they must be buried because they cannot be recycled so not what I would call re-newable or not poluting. There is a road in Illinois I used to drive that is lined with windmills. About a year ago I noticed one of the blades on one had been twisted off. Always thought that would have exciting to watch and wondered how much vibration untill it was shut down. Jim.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We have The Wildcat wind farm west of us, ive never really heard of anyone that has said they are big bird killers. They certainly may, but we havent heard that these are. Now with the Poet Ethanol plant outside of Summitville, a few have told me maintenance picks up birds each morning that have flown into the structure in the middle of nowhere.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My understanding is the blades have a life span of IIRC 25 years, could be wrong on the time

We'll see what happens when it's time for decommissioning the old windmills. These companies, some of which are a bit shady, have contracts requiring them to tear down the obsolete windmills and return to the land to it's original condition. Unless this money is already in escrow, which I don't think is is, there's likely to be a whole lot of court battles and sudden bankruptcies.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    My understanding is the blades have a life span of IIRC 25 years, could be wrong on the time. Then they must be buried because they cannot be recycled so not what I would call re-newable or not poluting. There is a road in Illinois I used to drive that is lined with windmills. About a year ago I noticed one of the blades on one had been twisted off. Always thought that would have exciting to watch and wondered how much vibration untill it was shut down. Jim.
    This article states that 3800 windmills a year are coming down now due to age.

]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-02-05/wind-turbine-blades-can-t-be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Wind energy is a niche only and doesn't make sense at massive scale. Really, we need to go back to building nuclear plants. Efficient, effective, long-living, and reasonably-priced energy. But all the eco-greenies are the same ones who made nuclear plants so expensive to build (to comply with the insane regulations), that almost no-one will take the risk. It's too bad, because it's still the best energy generation at scale available.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was unaware they are putting them in near you. Which area?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Personally I see it all coming to a dead end. Wind and solar are scams right now to milk tax money and can't keep up with the demand. Nuclear energy, while a more reasonable alternative, is way to frightening for the karens unless it's on the moon or somewhere just as remote. Climate activists keep demanding no hydrocarbon fuel.

Someday there just won't be enough electricity to go around and a stressed grid will see blackouts everywhere. Leadership won't have to worry though as the affected people will have no way to complain without electricity.

Top Bottom