A Heavily Armed Man Caused Panic at a Supermarket. But Did He Break the Law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If he's simply walking around with a couple of slung long guns, absent anything else, then he's doing nothing unlawful and not evincing any threatening behavior. As such, while I might likely leave the area as a matter of caution-overabundance, there would be nothing to report to 911.
    Oh, it gets reported. Been there, done that. South side retail stores Guy likes to do his shopping with a slung AK. Gets 911 called on him frequently because of it. Then gets angry when the mgr wants him trespassed. Only does it for attention, according to him anyway. Looking for police to screw up their response.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    So to condense, you'll go confront the guy, demand he explain himself to you, and draw on him when he tells you to f' off?

I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding.

Why can't you just keep your eyes up and be prepared in case things go south?
    I don't have all day.

Also, you must have missed the part where I said I'd rather "Act"... than "react".
    After he opens up on the first few victims, it's too late for them. and if he spots me following him around, that's not likely to go well either. Besides, I didn't "demand he explain himself" I simply asked "what gives"? Like I said... from there it's on him. If he takes a question as a demand... that says something of his character, and state of mind. We already know one thing about him out of a few possibilities.

1. He's seeking attention.
    2. He's trying to make a statement.
    OR...
    3. He's getting ready to do something nobody is gonna like.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't have all day.

Also, you must have missed the part where I said I'd rather "Act"... than "react".
    After he opens up on the first few victims, it's too late for them. and if he spots me following him around, that's not likely to go well either. Besides, I didn't "demand he explain himself" I simply asked "what gives"? Like I said... from there it's on him. If he takes a question as a demand... that says something of his character, and state of mind. We already know one thing about him out of a few possibilities.

1. He's seeking attention.
    2. He's trying to make a statement.
    OR...
    3. He's getting ready to do something nobody is gonna like.
    Good luck with that. What you've said you'd do in my opinion is about the dumbest thing you could possibly do. You can't just go around drawing on people because they tell you to f' off after you confront them over their LEGAL behavior that you don't like.

If you do that and he kills you, he walks if I'm on his jury. Guaranteed.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Good luck with that. What you've said you'd do in my opinion is about the dumbest thing you could possibly do. You can't just go around drawing on people because they tell you to f' off after you confront them over their LEGAL behavior that you don't like.

If you do that and he kills you, he walks if I'm on his jury. Guaranteed.
    I think you mean, if you're on my jury, I'm guilty...

Noted.

I'm done with this thread.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not anti 2A, but...
    This is never a good way to start. I tend to follow Ned Stark's maxim regarding everything that comes after the "but".

...if you're gonna act what most people would consider threatening... be ready to be treated like a threat.
    "What most people would consider threatening" is not a valid criterion. That belief has to be reasonable. In an environment where the mere sight of a gun - any gun - causes offense, the fear at the mere sight of a gun is irrational. There has to be more than just the mere carry of guns to constitute "threatening".

Every single time some nutbag goes on a shooting spree, we all sit at our computers talking about how we wish we were there to stop it. Well, when you see what looks like the signs of one... You gotta do something.
    To wit: can you articulate the specific behaviors/actions that were threatening?

I refer to my original question: how are the long guns being carried? Merely walking around with a vest and two slung rifles does not constitute reasonable fear of any unlawful activity.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What I would do would be very context dependent. However once you're audibly loading up in the bathroom and come up with body armor and long guns, if anyone burns you down and I'm on the jury they will walk for it. You got a **** around and find out trophy. Before the "but OC is legal" whining starts, yes, but let's look at the totality of the circumstances and why someone would be loading in a public place. Is it reasonable to assume a threat? Is it reasonable to challenge someone when you're outgunned and out armored?
    I agree with the context/situational dependence here. The threat/fear of unlawful action must be specific, articulable, and reasonable. There's no universal answer.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh, it gets reported. Been there, done that. South side retail stores Guy likes to do his shopping with a slung AK. Gets 911 called on him frequently because of it. Then gets angry when the mgr wants him trespassed. Only does it for attention, according to him anyway. Looking for police to screw up their response.
    Understood - and I don't doubt it. I'm sure people call 911 for all manner of things, including Mcdonald's being out of Chicken McNuggets.

Just because a (perfectly lawful) gun is involved doesn't mean that it isn't a nuisance 911 call.

Top Bottom