• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If all the OP wants is a serial number, he can buy a $9.95 set of number stamps at harbor freight, and stamp away. If he wants to know the law/regs he should look at the batfe website and not rely on others “opinions”
    Actually a single number is a serial number so it only requires one stamp. If I was building lowers, the first one would be "1". The second one "2"... Etc.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Your right, I’m wrong! What do I know?
    If a gun dealer can’t assemble a lower that has a serial number and sell it (at that point the dealer becomes manufacturer type 07)then how can a person do it???

In this instance why doesn’t rock river, colt, and smith and Wesson just “assemble” 80% lowers and sell them without government oversight???

And don’t forget that if you purchase a firearm for the intent of reselling it you are considered a”dealer” and subject to fbi/batfe regulations
    Because they are dealers, or more specifically manufacturers.
    “Manufacturers” with “intent”. These are the legal, if vague, words in the law that differentiate a person from a manufacturer. “Intent” to sell. Intentionally built to sell now or later, as opposed to built, and now I don’t want it anymore, I’ll sell it or give it away or whatever. Once, or at at least not too many times. That’s what the law says, no matter what the high road or gun shop or wherever the smoke gets blown from that gets up every bodies butt.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    If all the OP wants is a serial number, he can buy a $9.95 set of number stamps at harbor freight, and stamp away. If he wants to know the law/regs he should look at the batfe website and not rely on others “opinions”
    I tried that. It looks like crap. I would like the others to look a little more legible/professional.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Years ago I looked into this. The key is are you building it initially with the intent to sell? If that is the case you need a manufacturer's license and can't do it anyway. If you are building it for your own personal use it doesn't need a serial number. If you decide to sell it later after you are bored with it, want the cash for other purposes etc. then you can sell it like any other personal firearms. It is your property, you can sell it under the same laws as any other gun you purchased. If one was concerned they could always keep the lower and sell the upper. If one was selling it to a friend or family member who specifically wanted a home-built version then I wouldn't worry about it. Who knows, they might want it for sentimental reasons if uncle joe built it himself. It would be just as legal to sell it to a stranger as long as you follow normal laws and don't sell to a person you know is a convicted felon etc. It simply has no serial number, that doesn't make it an unregistered machine gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom