• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I agree that it is nice to have 4wd if you need it, but at least in my part of southern Indian a it is unnecessary . It snows and you can wait 4 hours for it to melt. I have had a couple of 4x4s, but they were just toys. If you aren't in a majorly hilly area no need . He'll my mustang handles hills easy enough with good tires and some extra weight

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    A couple of weeks ago when we had that little ice storm I pulled into a subdivision to do a job on a Sunday morning. Turned in and started sliding and didn't stop until I was a 1/4 mile down the slight hill. Tried turning around and getting out and couldn't move. I looked up and here comes the USPS vehicle sliding in towards me...she turned in and slid to the bottom where I was and luckily she just missed hitting us. I thought I was stuck until road melted. The USPS got a tow truck to get it out but I went ahead and worked then figured I would try 4wd, didn't think it would help though. I was surprised when I was able to drive out in 4wd.

I couldn't live without a 4wd and at least a 3/4 ton. I use my 4wd 10-15 times a year, easily. And even with 4x4, I have been pulled out many times. I use my trucks as trucks though, they are tools...they work and work hard. I have owned F250's and Silverado 2500's. Ford makes a working truck, no doubt about it. Chevy makes a pretty truck. I can sit 2 tons in the back of my F250(with F350 suspension) and it don't even hit the helper springs, of course you don't wanna try to drink hot coffee while driving it....it is a rough ride. My 2500 rode like a Cadillac, but the suspension was not as stout.

For me, I would not own anything but a 4x4, but that is just me and how I use a truck. Several years ago we had a big snow and I was out plowing when I got stuck on a bridge in a driveway that's about 1/2 mile long. I couldn't turn, I couldn't back up without sliding off bridge. The neighbor had a F150 2x2 with posi lock rear end and offered to try pulling me up the hill. I laughed and asked what he was gonna pull me with and he said his truck. He proceeded to plow thru 2-3 foot drifts, hooked to me and pulled me up the hill. I couldn't believe it! I asked how he did that and he said he guessed it was because of rear end.

So I reckon it is just how you feel you will use it and if you will keep forever or trade it in someday. I personally like the least amount of electric I can buy. Like a F250 for me in XL or XLT is plenty, Chevy I like the W/T package. I don't mind manual windows, no carpet, manual seats, lock outs, etc. It is just easier to clean and less to fail and I drive my vehicles to 300,000-400,000 miles and don't trade them in.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've owned both 2 and 4wd. I won't own anything but a 4wd after having it. You live far enough out in the county that 4wd will be very handy. I get 15-18mpg in my '96 K1500 extended cab long bed. I got about 12mpg in my '90 2wd.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All good points. Thanks everyone. I have driven RWD in the snow for some time and have no issues with that. I'll expand my search to include Dodge and look at 4x4 options a bit more closely.
    Keep in mind, unless you leave heavy stuff in the bed all the time, a RWD truck where the weight balance is heavily biased to the front will be different than a RWD car where the weight is closer to 50/50. Not saying it can't be done, but will be much easier to swap ends.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Id go 4x4 in indiana. As for the brands you listed I suggest the Tundra. (Not trying to start a brand war) I bought a 2018 trd pro a month ago and it is a beast.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I asked how he did that and he said he guessed it was because of rear end.

Yeah, a locked rear end gives you two wheels with power, same as a 4wd with open differentials. The only difference is both of them are on the same axle, somewhat increasing the odds that neither has traction.

The 4wd's transfer case splits power to the front and rear axle, but open diffs still mean whichever tire has the least traction takes the power for that axle. Locked/limited slip diffs and the various technologies that accomplish the same thing force some power to the wheel with traction as well.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    You won't need 4x4 nearly as often as you think you will, but if you don't get it, you'll kick yourself every time you do.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    40' + long school bus rear wheel drive on ice. Stopping for rr tracks, spinning rear wheels to where the rear end wants to pull to one side or tge other (towards a ditch on a slight hill)but not go forward... Loaded with about 50 kids. Ice on neighborhood streets made it great to start on... Ummm fall creek parkway just north of boyscout rd in ice and snow. If i can do it in a bus with the stress of other peoples kids and not get stuck or worse i can do without 4x4.

What's a bus with 50 kids weigh?

Torque & weight will go a long way, much like that pic Chez posted of the JD tractor. Did anyone notice the number of plates on the front of that tractor?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sweet. I just need to pile 50 kids in the bed of my 2wd pickup and I’ll be good to go! 

chez.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    What's a bus with 50 kids weigh?

Torque & weight will go a long way, much like that pic Chez posted of the JD tractor. Did anyone notice the number of plates on the front of that tractor?
    36k lbs plus fuel and weight of kids. Just as easy to lose it as a pick up or a car.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I agree with Mr. Mouse. You COULD cut your lawn with a pair of scissors. It would save you a lot of money. But why choose the harder path? I have a little experience driving RWD police cars in crappy conditions at higher than normal speeds. I’ll take 4x4 in my personal vehicle, please. Everyone has different expectations and needs, but one of my criteria for a truck is to get through rough terrain when needed.

Yep. I didn't even consider fuel economy when I bought my 4x4. That's what the family car is for.
    I think I get 14 miles per gallon in the city but I could climb a mountain with it if I wanted to.
    Traction control in 2wd and 4x4 and also hill descent assistance and lockable differentials.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    40' + long school bus rear wheel drive on ice. Stopping for rr tracks, spinning rear wheels to where the rear end wants to pull to one side or tge other (towards a ditch on a slight hill)but not go forward... Loaded with about 50 kids. Ice on neighborhood streets made it great to start on... Ummm fall creek parkway just north of boyscout rd in ice and snow. If i can do it in a bus with the stress of other peoples kids and not get stuck or worse i can do without 4x4.

Not even in the same ballpark as a 2wd pickup with an empty bed. I say empty because that's how it'll be most.of the time. We all know it.

I've driven plenty of BIG 2wd things that didn't get stuck easily. Single axle dual rear wheel grain trucks, tandem axle grain trucks, dump trucks, semi's with and without trailers. Like your school bus none of them compare to a pickup.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    2wd Pros... Less expensive, and better (slightly) fuel economy.

4WD pros... Everything else. They can do everything a 2WD can do, and so many things a 2WD can't. Don't let the rear locker crowd fool you. Yes, they help a great deal, even more so in a 4WD. Having traction from BOTH ENDS is where it's at.

I would never settle for a 2wd truck unless I had to. You may not have a reason to go off roading now. Think of it as an emergency back up for bad weather or bad times.

Why do we carry a gun all day we will probably never need?

Just in case.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, Clearly reaching different conclusions than you must be a financial decision.

For the most part it does come down to this. When really asked why 2WD it always falls to costs. 9mm is another issue that while not always this but how many threads are involved in 9mm being the cheaper way to go.
    Hey I have no issue with these decisions until I get a call to come and pull them out. And I do get those calls...:):

And the reality of this is my truck has P-trac rear and open front diffs.....Makes it a 3WD. Go figure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, if you are required to drive in the snow, then 4X4 is the way to go. If you have a choice or friends or live near major thoroughfares, it's a tossup.

4X4 is pricey when you use it for commuting. There is a lot more parts to wear and a lot to break. On top of hauling around 4X4 parts and weight as they rust away.

I've lived through many years where a lot of you city boys would call "middle of nowhere," without 4X4. :dunno:

Personally, I don't like payments. I'll take my vehicles seasoned by others. A SUV for driving in the snow and a 2WD pickup for hauling.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would only go 2wd if it was a work type of truck where I knew I wasn't going to need the other capacity or if it was a dedicated trailer hauler. For a personal vehicle, I would always go four-wheel-drive if financially possible.

Top Bottom