• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There's a YT video floating around out there of a guy shooting at a range. One of his empties ejects out of his gun and lands *juuuuust riiiight* on the open box of ammo on the table near him. That fired casing set off another of the cartridges.

Do not know about reloads involved in that one.

But reloads or not - ish happens.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a YT video floating around out there of a guy shooting at a range. One of his empties ejects out of his gun and lands *juuuuust riiiight* on the open box of ammo on the table near him. That fired casing set off another of the cartridges.

Do not know about reloads involved in that one.

But reloads or not - ish happens.

Buzz, an INGO member and range safety officer described an incident very much like what you just described.

I liked Buzz. In person and online he seemed like a good guy.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've placed plenty of loose ammo (factory) in a crown royal bag, tossed it in my range bag and headed of to practice. Never had a problem. As of about 10 minutes ago, when I read through this thread, I no longer place loose ammo in a crown royal bag and then toss it in my range bag. In fact, now I'm paranoid about reaching into a can of loose rounds and just grabbing a bunch.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I respectfully disagree with your last sentence.
    An irresponsible gun owner is now one step closer to knowing what many others now know......................he's too irresponsible to have a firearm, and he has 9 digits to prove it.
    While I agree that stupid should hurt, it need not be so debilitating. A good portion of the gentleman's connective tissue and musculature and ligaments were vaporized, and it was pure luck that no one else was directly seriously injured. the man will never have much use from that hand again and I take no delight in that outcome

A more recoverable injury such as shooting himself in the leg would have served the same purpose

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I've placed plenty of loose ammo (factory) in a crown royal bag, tossed it in my range bag and headed of to practice. Never had a problem. As of about 10 minutes ago, when I read through this thread, I no longer place loose ammo in a crown royal bag and then toss it in my range bag. In fact, now I'm paranoid about reaching into a can of loose rounds and just grabbing a bunch.
    Every day people buy 1,000 rounds of various calibers that are placed loose in a bag and then in a box and shipped around the country with the shipping monkeys throwing them around. I have had no problems with the ones I have bought. I suspect the problems are really rare but I will be taking more care with loose rounds from now on anyhow.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Louisville gun show in about '88-'89,
    Sunday of a 3 day event.
    3 'Duck & Cover' events in one day.

In the mid 90s, two discharges at Indy in one day.
    One guy picked up a long gun from a table and aimed it at banners up next to the ceiling BANG!,
    Nearly took the tops off heads of people standing around him.
    And a guy dropped a derringer in the food area BANG! Shot his own hat off and put a round in the roof.

In Owensboro, a police officer shot his own finger, not too bad though, just a burned chunk of meat.
    Thought he'd be one of those 'Hollywood' guys checking weapons one handed.
    Didn't pay much attention to where the other hand was...
    And it was his own service pistol at the entrance door.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Happened to me, as a Sergeant with the Army’s 2nd MP Company, 2nd Infantry Division (Korea) I had a soldier try and hand me five rounds of GI ball .45 from his weapons magazine.
    As he tried to hand the loose rounds to me one rolled off his palm and struck the ground between us going “BANG”.
    The case was peeled up like a banana peel, but where the bullet went or why neither of us was hit, is beyond me.
    The primer on the bullet must have hit the sidewalk we were standing on just right.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    And now I'm nervous about all my reloads being stored in ziplock bags.

I have all my shooting friends save their brass and factory packaging for me. I label the boxes with the reload formula on them.

Also just bought some 100 rnd reloaded ammo cases for 45acp & 9mm. Much easier to label, store and transport in them anyhow.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Not so much. A couple of years ago at an OGCA show, a vendor took out his personal weapon (which show rules required be unloaded and chamber tied, but was never presented) to show an interested customer, dropped the mag but did not clear the weapon, and for whatever reason had the muzzle against his weak hand when he pulled the trigger. It was just a 380, but it blew his thumb up into the rafters

Entertainment value, zero
    Did the customer buy the gun?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had 500rds of LC M118LR shipped to me loose in a can you would think all that jarring around in travel would cause something like this to happen.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Did the customer buy the gun?
    As far as I know, no. The potential customer was spattered with bits of dealer. Before anyone asks, I don't know if the firearm was able to chamber the next round, either (it was a 380)

In addition to everything else, the dealer instantly became an EX-member of OGCA

One of the things I like about that show is it is members only, there are roving 'proctors' whose sole duty is to ensure the firearm tie rule, and careless gun handling like sweeping other members can get you immediately suspended and shown the door. In this case, the firearm was concealed, the owner deliberately broke the rules and the time available for someone to call him on it between the presentation of firearm and the ND was very short indeed

Top Bottom