• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    While working at the Atterbury range yesterday a strange thing happened. Two shooters called me over to ask me a question. They had a box of .40 cal ammo ( 50 rounds in styrofoam seperator )sitting on the shooting bench. One of the rounds exploded in the box. The styrofoam was scattered about and we found the bullet about 6 feet behind the shooters on the concrete. Could not find the brass. The box of ammo had nothing dropped on it but an ejected case may have landed on the ammo. I don't think that would cause the round to go off. I didn't have an answer for them. Any of you folks have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A falling case "might" have hit the primer and set it off but I have a hard
    time believing it would had enough force to do it.
    Pure speculation at this point but could a ricochet have come back and caught the primer just right? :dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I posted a story many months back about this happening to someone. For this reason, I never ever leave uncovered rounds on the bench when I'm shooting Bring a towel with you and double (or more) fold it so it covers your rounds.

Even if it's a one in a million thing, that won't help you if you're the one. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    If they had their ammo out of the box but still in the styrofoam tray, possibly an ejected casing could have done it. Probably a 1 in a million type thing. I know my XDm's both eject the casing with some pretty strong force..... still I wouldn't expect that it would strike a primer hard enough. If it was still in the box I'd be even more skeptical of that theory.

Possibly a ricochet set it off, but I find that unlikely as well.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, it's possible ! I would of thought absolutely not, but here recently saw an example at Roush Range in Huntington. For anyone that ever goes there, next time ask the RO to see the case from a round that a empty set off. They now have it mounted to a board hanging on the wall. Supposedly a shooter had loose rounds in a box or can and a empty jumped in and hit one just right.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    bizzaro.

Without seeing it happen it is way too hard to say. Even then it would be hard to say.

Maybe the guys weren't totally forthcoming in what might have happened - maybe they were.

Accidentally dropping a full mag on rounds facing up, or firing the with the muzzle low to the table, as if it were being used on a makeshift bench rest. I wonder if the concussive effect alone could set off a primer (if close enough).

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    i fing it hard to believe that an ejected case set off the primer ,you would think that if one live round went off in a styrafoam pack it would have surely set of multiple rounds

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Keep ammo covered while at the range. :yesway:

This is one of those nuggets that get embedded in my brain.
    Better this nugget than one made of lead and copper. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This certainly is a mystery.

If it was a ricochet, I don't think I would want to shoot there anymore. Never seen small arms ammo go off when hit by a bullet, and it would have hit the side, not the top directly down on the primer.

I doubt it was a sympathetic explosion. If so, every time you shoot a magazine or belt fed firearm, the next one in line is at risk of going off. It doesn't happen.

Did somebody on that point have a rock, hammer, nail, screwdriver, and foolish look on their face?

Sounds like somebody was fooling around and was trying to cover their tracks.

Am I cynical? Noooooo..

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Ah, you got me sorry, was at the range with my stun gun randomly zapping ammo when nobody was looking. :popcorn: It's a hobby of mine, quite fun.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Had this same thing happen at Eagle Creek a few years ago. A guy was shooting a Taurus .380 with Wolf steel case ammo. Ejected case flew to the right about 12', landed on another shooter's carry ammo (Remington Golden Sabre .45ACP) that was in a plastic box. Hit the primer just right, 45 detonated. Found the .45 bullet about 18' and to the left of where it started, the majority of the case went about 14' to the rear of the line, and we found about a 1/4" square part of the case had gone another direction. I may still have some of the parts around here somewhere. Used to use them in NRA Basic Pistol classes as a visual aid. I was there and saw/heard it happen.

There was another incident on the police side of Eagle Creek where they were loading mags in the blockhouse (concrete floor). Someone dropped a live round (WWB .40 165 gr), it hit something on the floor just right, and the bullet went up past the officer's face and into the ceiling. I was not present, but I know 2 people who were.

Mr. Murphy loves the range, boys and girls. Strange stuff happens. Be prepared.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I was under the impression that a bullet needed a barrel for back pressure in order to reach a formidable velocity. Didn't they blow one up in the oven on Mythbusters?

Top Bottom