• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was at a gun show today, and a .44 magnum went off a few feet away. However, it was not a handgun, but instead JUST a loaded round. A guy dropped a small bag of .44 magnum reloaded ammo, and one of the rounds detonated. Has anyone else ever seen this happen? I would think it would be more likely to happen with rifle rounds where one of the “pointy” projectiles might strike a primer, but not with round nose handgun ammo

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I've never seen it happen myself, but all it takes is just the right hit on the primer to ignite it. I could see it happeneing if the rim of another case hit it just right when the bag was dropped. Luckily rounds don't act like they do when they're chambered and just kind of come apart with a small explosion.
    In the confines of the gun show, and the close proximity to me, it sounded like a LARGE explosion. A big hunk of brass lodged itself in a table cover. I was at the Tulsa gun show last weekend and an AR15 discharged. That show is so big, and I was so far away, that it sounded like a cap gun to me. Apparently the dealer who placed the loaded rifle on his table was taken away in handcuffs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In the confines of the gun show, and the close proximity to me, it sounded like a LARGE explosion. A big hunk of brass lodged itself in a table cover. I was at the Tulsa gun show last weekend and an AR15 discharged. That show is so big, and I was so far away, that it sounded like a cap gun to me. Apparently the dealer who placed the loaded rifle on his table was taken away in handcuffs.
    First Good.

Second, remind me never to go to a gun show with you. Two shows and two NDs? Yikes, chaos follows you, my friend. :):

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I've never seen it happen myself, but all it takes is just the right hit on the primer to ignite it. I could see it happeneing if the rim of another case hit it just right when the bag was dropped. Luckily rounds don't act like they do when they're chambered and just kind of come apart with a small explosion.
    I've never seen it happen with centerfire cartridges but when I was a kid my Dad had a bunch of 32 rimfire rounds and no gun to shoot them in. So I would take some down to a paved area down by the lake and throw a round up in the air so it landed on the pavement and I would duck behind a stone wall. About one out of four times it would go off. Sometimes you could hear the brass whistling as it went flying off.

I would also drill a hole in a piece of oak in the wood pile and stick a round in the hole and peek out from around a tree and shoot at it from about 15 feet with a BB gun. Once in a while I would hit it right and make it fire - that brass came back very fast and would hit the side of an outbuilding about 20 feet behind me. Fortunately I never managed to get hit by it myself.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    First Good.

Second, remind me never to go to a gun show with you. Two shows and two NDs? Yikes, chaos follows you, my friend. :):
    50pSfZO.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not so much. A couple of years ago at an OGCA show, a vendor took out his personal weapon (which show rules required be unloaded and chamber tied, but was never presented) to show an interested customer, dropped the mag but did not clear the weapon, and for whatever reason had the muzzle against his weak hand when he pulled the trigger. It was just a 380, but it blew his thumb up into the rafters

Entertainment value, zero

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Not so much. A couple of years ago at an OGCA show, a vendor took out his personal weapon (which show rules required be unloaded and chamber tied, but was never presented) to show an interested customer, dropped the mag but did not clear the weapon, and for whatever reason had the muzzle against his weak hand when he pulled the trigger. It was just a 380, but it blew his thumb up into the rafters

Entertainment value, zero
    I respectfully disagree with your last sentence.
    An irresponsible gun owner is now one step closer to knowing what many others now know......................he's too irresponsible to have a firearm, and he has 9 digits to prove it.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    This thread reminds me of why I'm hesitant about going to gun shows. Too many irresponsible people handling **** that could kill you!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I respectfully disagree with your last sentence.
    An irresponsible gun owner is now one step closer to knowing what many others now know......................he's too irresponsible to have a firearm, and he has 9 digits to prove it.
    "I can give you 10 good reasons not to point a gun at your hand! *bang* Okay, I can give you NINE good reasons not to point your gun at your hand!"

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen what the OP describes. Factory ammo in a Ziploc bag. Dropped on grass, actually. A rim set off another round. They were .38's.

Top Bottom