• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I am going to start loading 300 blk for this coming deer season. I am trying to determine what bullets make the most sense to try. I would like to keep it at about 3 different ones, so that I can minimize the work. but I want to buy a box of 50 or so of each so that I don't commit to one and then have it shoot 4-5 moa out of my gun. So far my list includes only the Barnes 110 TTSX and the Nosler 125 Accubond as must try bullets. Any ideas or recommendations for a third?

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    You might want to try the Nosler 150gr Partition bullet. It might be a little heavy for the BLK, but it's a great bullet.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I want to stay flatter shooting and lighter, so probably more in the 110-130 range. I was eyeing the 125 SST and had it in my Midway wish list for a bit. I did a lot of searching and it seems that there are a lot of credible positive reviews for the Barnes and quite a few for the Nosler, even some for the 110 Vmax(?), but I didn't see a lot for the SST. the SST certainly seems more logical than the Vmax.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I actually wouldn't see a problem with the vmax as long as you weren't trying to go through shoulders. But a rib might not do it any favors, and you can't shoot around them (unless the deer is really malnourished, lol.)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have settled on 125SST

Also had decent luck with 150 Game Kings although not sure if they would expand much

If you can find the black tips they should be great

Noles are good too except the price has kept me away

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I load 125gr Ballistic Tips to around 2,400fps out of several 30-caliber rifles. Keep well-placed shots to 150 yards, or so, and they kill deer just fine.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will be using the Hornady 130gr SP-SSP. I was lucky enough to get a few hundred of them before they were discontinued. They were very effective out of my 10" 30-30 Win Contender.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    How about 110 Tac-tx Barnes. More speed, good penetration and expansion. I've been shooting them with good luck in wet phone books. Not to high jack a thread. But what would be a good light plinking bullet? 125 Sierra poly tip, sst, or a max

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Here a article about 110 gr Vmax: .300 BLK Proves Mettle on Whitetails - AllOutdoor.com

Also the .300 Whisper (which is basically the same thing) has been around a lot longer and there is a lot of deer hunting success with it. But in general I think at 100+ yds. the lighter/faster projectile will produce better results.

I think I am going to add the Vmax 110 to my list and maybe move it to the #2 spot behind the 110 Tac TX. It's pretty reasonably priced and I think it can be had in bulk too. I chuckle at this article above though, because 300 BO "proves its mettle" on a pretty small deer in my opinion. You expect such an article to be AT LEAST an antlered deer. Just think it might take something with a little bit more mass and volume to "prove" it. I have learned that sometimes larger bucks seem to be able to go somewhat further with the same wounds as a smaller doe or button.

My only concern with the vmax is if I hit a shoulder blade. That being said, I think I have only hit one shoulder blade on the entry once ever, doe was running right by me, so I don't know how big a concern that is. I tend to aim a little higher and go for double lung shots. If I hit exactly where I am aiming, I usually get the aorta and both lungs. With the vmax, that should be perfect.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    How about 110 Tac-tx Barnes. More speed, good penetration and expansion. I've been shooting them with good luck in wet phone books. Not to high jack a thread. But what would be a good light plinking bullet? 125 Sierra poly tip, sst, or a max

The most cost effective plinker that isn't a 147gr FMJ is probably the Speer 125gr TNT in bulk. You can get 500 for $89 if you catch them on sale.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm going 220 gr. out of a suppressor. I never have to shoot over 75 yds .

I had that thought at first, but My shots are an even dispersion from 5-125 yards in the past. By adding the additional range of the supersonic 300 blk, I will probably change my location to utilize that reach. Probably to about 175 yards. Would be cool to make less noise, but I have sometimes seen unspooked deer right after I shot anyway, so I am not sure it would help me.

The ONLY reason I am using 300blk instead of my 300 WSM, is that the property owner, who is a family member, doesn't want me to use "high powered" rifles.

Top Bottom