• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Belated Welcome to INGO...

people always talk about children dying from accidents. There is a huge difference between dying from things kid should be doing (riding bikes, playing on swing sets)and things kids should not be exposed to(guns left unattended around the house). Few people have a reason to have loaded firearms. The odds of someone breaking into an occupied house are very small. Robbers look for unoccupied houses. If you have kids in the house and there is no reason to suspect that anyone is targeting you, there is no reason to keep a loaded gun

I do NOT believe that you will find even 10% of the members of INGO that agree with your above statement.
    You MUST live in a lot safer neighborhood than the majority of us do. Catch up on reading on some of the home invasions here around Indy in the last few months.

I agree that VERY young children should be protected from being around firearms. YOUNG children should be taught respect for firearms. Children should be taught proper handling of firearms. Teens and young adults should be taught the safety AND protection that a firearm has to offer in the HOME.

gunandrun, do you think it would be wise of you to move in/close to a major metro town and post a sign out front that you are in the house with NO loaded firearm??

Not too smart IMO...Bill.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    people always talk about children dying from accidents. There is a huge difference between dying from things kid should be doing (riding bikes, playing on swing sets)and things kids should not be exposed to(guns left unattended around the house). Few people have a reason to have loaded firearms. The odds of someone breaking into an occupied house are very small. Robbers look for unoccupied houses. If you have kids in the house and there is no reason to suspect that anyone is targeting you, there is no reason to keep a loaded gun
    :n00b:

Do you have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms in your home?

Did you know that you're 4 times more likely to be a victim of a violent crime than of a housefire. That's not even accounting for crimes which start as non-violent (home invasion.)

What if your fire extinguisher was found to be empty at the moment you needed it?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Welcome to INGO...Stick around,YOU NEED US IN THE WORST WAY! (You sure need an education..]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Have you seen my baseball?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu

^^^^:owned:^^^^
    So robbers look for unoccupied houses?? Oh, because dirtbags own thermal imaging equipment and check each house as they slowly drive down
    each street of a neighborhood right? :ugh:

:n00b:

Do you have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms in your home?

Did you know that you're 4 times more likely to be a victim of a violent crime than of a housefire. That's not even accounting for crimes which start as non-violent (home invasion.)

What if your fire extinguisher was found to be empty at the moment you needed it?

Welcome to INGO...Stick around,YOU NEED US IN THE WORST WAY! (You sure need an education..]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hey, my bad, you're right. If someone is murdered...well they're already dead...so why have a trial? (no I'm not intimating that this kid was murdered)
    That would be justice for society not for the deceased.

And yes, murder is vastly different than an accident.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The odds of someone breaking into an occupied house are very small. Robbers look for unoccupied houses. If you have kids in the house and there is no reason to suspect that anyone is targeting you, there is no reason to keep a loaded gun

Its not the odds, its the stakes. With the understanding that my view is skewed because nobody calls me to say "look, I had a great day and no one tried to rob me", I've seen too many where they burglar (robbery =/= burglary, btw) thinks no one is home because no one came to the door and then things go down hill. As Indy recently witnessed, sometimes evil people do target homes that are occupied, and since some of those involved sex crimes as well, I'm not comfortable saying "that won't be my house." At my old house, yes, I'd be comfortable saying that. Rural location, plenty of standoff from the only road in the area (which dead ends into a logging trail), I'm comfortable I'll have plenty of notice of visitors, welcome or not. In town where any a-hole can walk to your house, come up the drive, and ring the bell? Negative.

None of that equates with leaving a loaded gun laying out. I may or may not be able to get to an unattended gun, but I can always get to my pants. I either pocket carry or belt carry around the house. I am instantly ready if need be, and the gun is secure and in my control at all times.

Regardless, this thread has ranged far from the original post, which is my sincerest condolences to the parents and a reminder to spend time with those you love because you aren't guaranteed a tomorrow with them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The fact that a 3 year old gained access to a loaded firearm should REQUIRE charges be filed against whomever was the child's guardian at the time. I understand it's a great tragedy, but it could not have been possible if not for negligence.

Responsibility for a child's safety and protection has to come from an adult!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Father carried "one in the chamber"?

And people get upset when they find out I CC "un-chambered" for this very reason!

I will always live with the risk that I have the 0.5 seconds that it requires to chamber a round rather that the risk that I might inadvertently lay my gun down (for whatever reason) or they gain access to it, and have one of my children pick it up and have this terrible of an incident be a result!

So sad! I couldn't imagine...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Anyone who trusts a 3 year old enough to lay a loaded weapon on a table and walk away from it is a negligent fool.
    Some of us have chosen to firearm-proof our children rather than kid-proof our firearms so that when/if they [the children] ever do come across a firearm lying unattended on a table! they won't bother it. I don't leave my firearm readily available as a matter of habit, but I also know my boys will not touch one.

This is tragic. But if it happened as reported...it was entirely preventable.
    Not much in this life isn't preventable. It's simple enough to identify the action which led to an event and say, "If I hadn't done X, Y wouldn't have happened." When it comes to children's behavior, ever single one of their actions are preventable, and yet those involving firearms are the only ones that seem to garner the most righteous indignation.

There is no such thing as a trustworthy 3 year old when it comes to firearms. They cannot be sufficiently taught by that age to be safe.
    Mine were, if by safe you mean passed all the tests put before them to reinforce the firearms rules in our house. Not one single failure. And at this point, neither of them have any reason to handle a firearm out of curiosity because there is none. They see the firearms everyday, they get the lecture regularly, and they have had the range time to quench that curiosity. Firearms in our house are as common as a pen or book or fork. :dunno:

If you want to keep your child safe around firearms, TRAIN them. For all the preaching about safety around here about training, I am always baffled that more of you don't take a more active role in firearm-proofing your kids. I think it's negligent not to train children in proper behavior. Keeping them "out of reach" isn't enough.

Last edited:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    While I understand your comment, I believe the argument to be unreasonable.

No, if a child sticks a fork in a socket and is electrocuted the parent (or guardian) should not necessarily be charged, but maybe.
    If the parent or guardian watched this event happen and did nothing to intervene, then yes, by all means charge them, to the fullest extent of the law.
    If a child drowns in a pool, or even in a bath tub, the parent or guardian should not necessarily be charged.

These circumstances don't stack up to the level of criminal negligence that leaving a loaded firearm unattended does.
    It may or may not be a child that finds the firearm.
    It could have been ANYONE else, and that could have led to a "shooting spree".

My point is that firearm ownership SHOULD carry with it a certain level of personal responsibility. You simply can NOT "forget" when the subject is kids and firearms.
    It really shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.

If you own a firearm, YOU are responsible for securing it at ALL times, PERIOD!

More kids die from drowning and tv's then firearms making your point completely invalid.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Gee, where were you when people broke in and robbed my house while I was home? Should I just have yelled OCCUPIED?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Some of us have chosen to firearm-proof our children rather than kid-proof our firearms so that when/if they [the children] ever do come across a firearm lying unattended on a table! they won't bother it. I don't leave my firearm readily available as a matter of habit, but I also know my boys will not touch one.

Not much in this life isn't preventable. It's simple enough to identify the action which led to an event and say, "If I hadn't done X, Y wouldn't have happened." When it comes to children's behavior, ever single one of their actions are preventable, and yet those involving firearms are the only ones that seem to garner the most righteous indignation.

Mine were, if by safe you mean passed all the tests put before them to reinforce the firearms rules in our house. Not one single failure. And at this point, neither of them have any reason to handle a firearm out of curiosity because there is none. They see the firearms everyday, they get the lecture regularly, and they have had the range time to quench that curiosity. Firearms in our house are as common as a pen or book or fork. :dunno:

If you want to keep your child safe around firearms, TRAIN them. For all the preaching about safety around here about training, I am always baffled that more of you don't take a more active role in firearm-proofing your kids. I think it's negligent not to train children in proper behavior. Keeping them "out of reach" isn't enough.
    I don't know the ages of your children, but with your children at age 3 did you knowingly leave loaded firearms around unattended where they could access them?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom