3 US Marines take down gunman firing AK-47 on train in France.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    CNN was reporting that the three will meet the French Prez and will get he Legion of Honor Medal. Very nice.

Besides that they almost got killed I hope they will enjoy the rest of their vacation in France. :):
    They're probably enjoying a VIP treatment in Paris right now. :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Besides that they almost got killed I hope they will enjoy the rest of their vacation in France. :):
    They're probably enjoying a VIP treatment in Paris right now. :yesway:

It's snails, isn't it?

On a completely random note, a buddy of mine who is still contracting said he was on a French base and they were cooking chickens with the feathers still on. Is that real or is he yanking my chain?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I find this to be somewhat of a shame. Not because they are unworthy of praise and respect, but because it would appear from basic research that the award is France's highest honor and while legal to give to noncitizens, I think we are all too quick to hand out what should be considered high, rare honors. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honour

We are very lose these days in the United States handing out medals, honors an trophies for the most petty of acts. It would appear that we are not the only ones.:(

By the way, I don't know what is required for it but I am entirely fine with the Mayor of Arras giving them a medal! That seems entirely appropriate for the circumstances involved.

I intend no disrespect nor intent to take away from these fine men of any nationality who did the right thing. Where I am concerned is that by lowering the standards for the earning of a medal we disrespect and demean all those who previously went through hell to earn the right to wear the same uniform, ribbon, medal or award. It isn't right to them.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    On a completely random note, a buddy of mine who is still contracting said he was on a French base and they were cooking chickens with the feathers still on. Is that real or is he yanking my chain?

We now pause for a total derail.

It is somewhat old fashioned, but de-feathering a chicken by putting it in scalding water and/or singeing them off is a real thing. To the uninitiated, it may look like part of the cooking process. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

It is somewhat old fashioned, but de-feathering a chicken by putting it in scalding water and/or singeing them off is a real thing. To the uninitiated, it may look like part of the cooking process. :)

4268461.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I'm familiar with scalding and plucking...and the accompanying smell. He described it as baking with feathers still on. He's probably been in the heat too long...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    It's funny how this initially got reported as 3 Marines. Their marketing is really top notch. They've got the whole world assuming every heroic American act is done by Marines.

Not our "marketing"...merely our historical legacy. :thumbsup:
    ...Even Stars & Stripes initially reported it was 2 Marines.

Major kudos to the Airman, Soldier, and Citizen for stepping up when the sheeple would step aside.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since we're OT already...

...I recall watching an old Rugby Sevens from Honk Kong on Youtube and they had a avian flu prevention PSA which showed people in a poultry market. The customers picked out a chicken and then the attendant wrung its neck in one smooth motion and bagged it for them.....just business a s usual. I was left wondering what the PETA types would think of something like that in a simple PSA broadcast during a sporting event.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I saw these guys being interviewed on one of the Sunday morning news shows yesterday. They were so calm and down to earth about it, and all basically agreed that they were still trying to grasp the reality of it, that it still feels like a dream. The fact that they were friends who had a basic trust in each other had a lot to do with it. They saw what was going on and said "let's go". If they hadn't been there, the story would have been much more grim.

It's so refreshing to see Americans being praised for something in the news instead of criticized. This is who we are, this is what makes Americans great.

Hat's off to these guys, they are truly deserving of the hero's treatment. Would love to shake their hands.

Top Bottom