• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • punker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    north west side indianapolis
    i have a question about reloading for my 45 acp i have these 230gr. hornady xtp bullets and the book says to set them at an overall length of 1.230" but i did and they would not fit flush with the end of the barrel hood so i pushed them in to 1.200" and they fit i am wondering if any one has had this problem

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont think that should have been an issue... a coal of 1.230 should fit just fine.... maybe when you sat them deeper you ended up with more crimp....

how many times has this brass been fired? maybe its time to trim? measure a couple of the fired casings and see if they fall within saami spec

punker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    brass

well i measured the brass before and it came in with in the specs , when i first seated the bullets to 1.250" they were to long to drop into the barrel all the way then i seated the bullet a little deeper and it fit in a little further till got down to 1.200 and then it was flush with the back of the barrel hood, so thats where i am looking at as the problem what do you think

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Either way it doesnt matter... if you have to shorten the COAL to get them to cycle then so be it... just start at the MINIMUM and work your way up as pressures could be significantly increased by seating the bullet deeper.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    You know, I'm probably being a bit over-cautious, but something sounds off here. A COAL of 1.230 is a standard length for .45 ACP, and my Hornady book recommends that length for 230 gr XTP's. 1.200 is really deep seating for the round, and I'd be worried about too much crimp, and pressure spiking. I don't understand why your barrel won't allow seating until 1.200. The round headspaces against the mouth of the case, so I'm concerned something isn't right. What are you shooting this out of, anyways?

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You know, I'm probably being a bit over-cautious, but something sounds off here. A COAL of 1.230 is a standard length for .45 ACP, and my Hornady book recommends that length for 230 gr XTP's. 1.200 is really deep seating for the round, and I'd be worried about too much crimp, and pressure spiking. I don't understand why your barrel won't allow seating until 1.200. The round headspaces against the mouth of the case, so I'm concerned something isn't right. What are you shooting this out of, anyways?
    I agree,Hornady Tap ammo with the 230gr. XTP bullet out of the box measures 1.230,I use this bullet at this length and don't have any problems,you should not either.If you have been shooting lead you may have some lead build-up just in front of the chamber. My son had this problem in his 1911,cleaned out the lead,problem gone.:twocents::dunno:

punker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    well i am using a 1911 kimber tle that is new only has 50 rounds through it, i have only shot full metal jacket out of it , and i just cleaned it before i tried this test. all of the brass is trimmed to proper length. i set up the dies like allways then set the oal of the bullets to 1.230 and dropped into the barrel and the rim of the case stuck up past the end of the barrel hood so i ran the bullet down in a little further till i got the bullet to fit flush and it was oal of 1.210 was where is started to fit so im still not sure whats up with the gun any ideas will help

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well i am using a 1911 kimber tle that is new only has 50 rounds through it, i have only shot full metal jacket out of it , and i just cleaned it before i tried this test. all of the brass is trimmed to proper length. i set up the dies like allways then set the oal of the bullets to 1.230 and dropped into the barrel and the rim of the case stuck up past the end of the barrel hood so i ran the bullet down in a little further till i got the bullet to fit flush and it was oal of 1.210 was where is started to fit so im still not sure whats up with the gun any ideas will help

If you want to bring the bullets/brass/ and gun down to my place we can work our way through it... it might be something you are just overlooking.... my press will be setup for .45acp for about another week or so.... after that you will have to wait until i cycle through .223 9mm 40 45 long colt and .38 spc..... PM me if you want to come my way and figure this thing out.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO

Huh. It kinda sounds like your just dropping a round in through the port to check. My Kimber runs my Hornady HAP reloads pretty consistently at 1.230, and I just checked sitting here, a round dropped into the chamber went all the way to being flush with the hood. Still doesn't sound quite right for you though. Do you have any more of the factory ammo that you ran through your pistol first off? Can you mike it and see what it's OAL is?

OK, I just went and checked some WWB FMJ ball I have, and three random rounds came in at 1.265 each. So, somethings odd here.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Punker,

Send me a dummy round - no primer, no powder - and I'll see what's going on. I'm set up for .45acp right now, and it's all I load.

Josh <><

Top Bottom