• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I seen some of our Special Forces had Ruger Mk ? They had a suppressor on it and an rds.
    My understanding was they use it to shoot out lights and at times take out enemies in certain situations with it.
    I read somewhere that Navy Seals were using them for clandestine operations.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Watched the Lucky Gunner video at lunch today.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I would like something close to my Compact, so the standard TX22 with a red dot would mimic it better. But I like the idea of the Competition model purely from a performance standpoint. I'm thinking Taurus did that for a reason and part of the reason could be decreased reliability with slide mounted optics.

But then again, I'm mostly buying it to have a manual of arms closer to my Compact than my Ruger MKII. Plus, my wife will like the mag and slide release operations better than the Ruger.

I'm rather impatient with malfunctioning firearms..
    Taurus sells a standard top end to mount to your competition TX22 lower, usually out of stock but if you jump on one when available you can swap top ends in about 10 seconds. $150.

Or buy one of each model. Then you and the wife can compete head to head against each other.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I read somewhere that Navy Seals were using them for clandestine operations.

Back in WWII the OSS developed a High Standard HDM silenced pistol in .22LR. Legend has it "Wild Bill" Donovan himself walked into the Oval Office with one and a sandbag in his briefcase. As FDR and his underlings were discussing something across the room, Donovan opened his briefcase, emptied the High Standard into the sandbag, then handed the still smoking gun to FDR. No one had heard anything to make them think a gun had been fired. IIRC, FDR refused to give it back and he often used it for target practice with friends at Hyde Park until someone realized it was still classified and retrieved it!

Still in use with the CIA and other agencies/.MIL until fairly recently, I'm sure a few are still hanging around certain armories even today. Probably the most famous one was carried by Frances Gary Powers when his U2 was shot down. The Russians display it along with other items from the incident.

Naval Special Warfare (SEALs) needed a non-corroding version, so AWC created the Amphibian S. Based on a Ruger stainless steel MKII, it has an integral stainless suppressor the same diameter as the receiver. Unfortunately for civilian purchasers, it was a sealed unit. It had a limited lifetime, the SEALs figured a few rounds fired in training to familiarize the operators with the sound signature of the suppressed version (normal MKII bull bbls could be used for target practice/familiarity training) several fired on a mission(s) and then chuck it into the ocean. Our tax dollars at work! AWC eventually came out with the Amphibian 2 which is serviceable instead of disposable.

Since High Standard is long out of the .22 pistol business the Ruger kind of took it's place in most .GOV armories for new purchases. For those not needing to dunk theirs in the ocean every day, various blued (and SS) models have been seen in use.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Taurus sells a standard top end to mount to your competition TX22 lower, usually out of stock but if you jump on one when available you can swap top ends in about 10 seconds. $150.

Or buy one of each model. Then you and the wife can compete head to head against each other.
    I did not know you could do it that way. I saw the adding the competition "upper" to the standard frame for $200.

I'll keep that in mind depending on what comes available and how much.

If we compete, I'll shoot my M&P and she can shoot the .22. She will probably out shoot me depending on the drill chosen. :)

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I’ve read most of the post and didn’t see that the ruger sr22 didn’t show up.. I have one and have had zero issues. Bought one for my son and same results. Don’t have more than 250 rounds thru it yet but it is fine in her hands.. accurate and dependable
    Had one. It was reliable for the most part, but had two glaring issues.

1. The trigger was terrible. Absolutely horrendous. I bought it to teach my kids handgun fundamentals, but the trigger was so bad that it was next to impossible to teach good trigger control, and my son quickly graduated to center-fire guns that were easier for him to shoot accurately, even with the increased recoil.

2. There was something goofy with the extractor cut in the barrel, and it wouldn't extract live rounds. Being blowback, it extracted and ejected just fine when firing, but if you wanted to clear a live round from the gun, it wouldn't do it. Not a good thing when you're using it as a teaching tool for kids and other new shooters.

The SR-22 went away when I got my MkII, and I haven't regretted that one bit. I actually just spent some range time with the MkII the other day in conjunction with a P250-22 that I picked up from a member here. I'm still amazed at how reliable and accurate that thing is. The P250 had a few hiccups...it feeds fine but had a few light strikes...but the MkII managed to ignite everything from the same box with 100% consistency. Ruger worked some magic on that design.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Had one. It was reliable for the most part, but had two glaring issues.

1. The trigger was terrible. Absolutely horrendous. I bought it to teach my kids handgun fundamentals, but the trigger was so bad that it was next to impossible to teach good trigger control, and my son quickly graduated to center-fire guns that were easier for him to shoot accurately, even with the increased recoil.

2. There was something goofy with the extractor cut in the barrel, and it wouldn't extract live rounds. Being blowback, it extracted and ejected just fine when firing, but if you wanted to clear a live round from the gun, it wouldn't do it. Not a good thing when you're using it as a teaching tool for kids and other new shooters.

The SR-22 went away when I got my MkII, and I haven't regretted that one bit. I actually just spent some range time with the MkII the other day in conjunction with a P250-22 that I picked up from a member here. I'm still amazed at how reliable and accurate that thing is. The P250 had a few hiccups...it feeds fine but had a few light strikes...but the MkII managed to ignite everything from the same box with 100% consistency. Ruger worked some magic on that design.
    I agree had an SR22 also. I gave it to my niece. She liked it.
    Then I picked up the TX22 and I'm very happy with it.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I have an SR22 as well, works great with no issues but one. The safety works exactly opposite almost every other pistol out there. Up is fire and down is safe/decock. After a lifetime of firing guns with thumb safeties, even striker fired guns without them I will sweep my thumb down out of habit. Now, knowing the safety works "backwards", I had no issues with it just plinking or target shooting. Then one day a damn opossum is raidng the catfood on the back porch. Only .22 handy was the SR22, so I grabbed it, racked the slide, and as I brought it up to blast the little ***hole I swept the safety down. Big click and dead trigger. Pogo heard the click and started to beat feet outta there. I managed to pop the safety back up and double action a round into his butt as he disappeared over the edge of the porch.

Lesson learned, only carry and practice with guns that operate in the same general manner or you will run into the issue of doing the wrong thing with the wrong gun under stress. The SR22 has stayed in storage ever since, although I hope someday an aftermarket solution to fix the safety appears. It is a great little gun otherwise.

Anyways a week or two later I come around the house and there is a big fat ugly opossum with a slowly healing bullet hole just in front of his tail. Looks up at me and hisses like "What the hell are you doing in my yard?" Screw this, the 9mm came out of it's holster and $7 worth of Critical Defense later Pogo has eaten his last free high protein meal. Those little guys are hard to kill!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I watched a review Sooch(sp?) did on the Walther PPQ 22. He seemed to like it.

Anyone on here have one?

I still like the TX22 but I'd like it a bit more traditional with the optic mounted back near the rear of the slide.

But not a big deal. What I don't want is malfunctions because I added a dot.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I watched a review Sooch(sp?) did on the Walther PPQ 22. He seemed to like it.

Anyone on here have one?

I still like the TX22 but I'd like it a bit more traditional with the optic mounted back near the rear of the slide.

But not a big deal. What I don't want is malfunctions because I added a dot.
    Have had a couple. Not on par with tx22 as far as accuracy. Have always ran fine. Fun plinkers

Top Bottom