• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    What would be your choice of 22LR if you wanted the best groups shooting a semi auto like a stock 10/22 or similar rifle? I'm guessing the 500rnd bricks aren't going to be the best choice. The match grade sub-sonics may be the most accurate but they won't cycle the action on a semi auto.

Thanks, Matt

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Tag

Eley, or RWS are probably best I'm guessing, based on price. Those are too expensive for my taste, because I don't do competitions. But I will say that I've tried a lot of 22lr, and CCI Standard Velocity is my favorite for quietness, and reliability. It always cycles the action in my pistols and rifles, yet stays subsonic.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll not find an answer this way.

You can take two off-the-shelf 10/22 rifles and they'll "like" different ammo.

You'll have to try several things out in a particular gun to determine for sure what it likes.

Some rifles really like the 500 rd bulk packs. Some like the slightly more expensive stuff. And, yes, some like the $10 + / 50 rd super duper match ammo.

-J-

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Funny you should ask...

I posted this a couple days ago, thought it might help someone out.

.22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test within AccurateShooter.com

Your rifle may vary in its preferences, but I think this chart should give you some idea as to relative accuracy achievable with different manufacturers and grades. For the price, CCI standard velocity seems to group very well in both my .22LR rifles and my .22LR pistols.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Have you tried match grade subs, or are you reading they wont work on the net? Wolf MT cycles my 10-22 just fine.
    Yes! Just another internet myth?

i knew I'd have to find out what my rifles like, I just wasn't sure where to start as all I have ever bought is the bulk boxes. I want to try to eliminate the variability of the ammo so I can better learn what I am doing wrong.

Thanks, Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    By the data given in the study Rockhopper posted, CCI standard should do me just fine as long as my rifles like it.
    It also confirms what I have suspected about many hunting stories. I keep hearing about dropping squirrels out of trees at 100yds with head shots. I'm thinking that it ain't happening very often with beater rifles and bulk ammo when the best the study was doing was about 1" groups with CCI Standard from a dedicated bench rifle!

Matt

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have a put together 10/22 from all Ruger parts(22" barrel).....then i have a 10/22 with not a Ruger part on it(AKA Bench 10/22) and both with same bulk ammo(Blazer's it what the like the best but will run any bulk).....will shoot with in a 1/2" of each other at 100y....with a little work them will all shoot good...

2rpwgee.jpg

1oq7uu.jpg

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Plain lead (not coated or jacketed) 40 gr solid standard velocity has worked better for me in most 22 lr rifles than any other reasonably priced ammo.

federal champion 210 are my favorite, cci 40 gr standards are also good.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Funny you should ask...

I posted this a couple days ago, thought it might help someone out.

.22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test within AccurateShooter.com

Your rifle may vary in its preferences, but I think this chart should give you some idea as to relative accuracy achievable with different manufacturers and grades. For the price, CCI standard velocity seems to group very well in both my .22LR rifles and my .22LR pistols.

Thanks for the link. I'd rep you but I have zero points to give since the upgrade.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Mine likes 40 grain Winchester M22... but I've never used it for a Benchrest Competition. Tightened up my consistency at Appleseed tho

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I got lucky with my 10-22 target. I get best groups with expensive stuff and auto match federals seem to work very well. Right behind the expensive stuff is Winchester wildcats. The wildcats are just a half step above bulk as they did come in bricks and I had many of them purchased at a great low price long ago.

My marlin 39a will shot about anything well. The groups might creep higher or lower but they still group.
    my ruger government target like CCI or ely pistol match
    my buck mark silly wet like federal 510 above all others.

The he only really picky rifle I have is a kimber 82g and anything over 1080 FPS get much larger groups. Mainly a speed issue over bullet shape or coated or hollow point.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Indy Guy is correct. The only way to know what YOUR rifle likes is to try it.
    Mine will shoot anything, but prefers CCI standard velocity.
    Occasionally I'll treat myself to a box of Ely Target.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    All of my rimfire shooting is with bolt guns so your milage may vary.

.22's are rather fickle. No two rifles will like the same ammo or shoot equally. Test as many different types as you can find. You'll probably find better consistency with the more expensive match ammo than bulk boxes, but not always. A lot of it depends on the type of accuracy you are trying to achieve?
    For plinking I've had good luck in different rifles with Federal redbox bulk and 510, blazer, and american eagle.

alittle more accurate, cci standard, eley sport, federal automatch, and sk magazine.

Target shooting wolf mt and sk, agulia match rifle, and rws target up to eley match and lapua center-x which is where I draw the line of cost.

After you find a couple types of ammo you like. Try shooting groups with different torque settings on the action screw(s?)

Beware. The quest for rimfire accuracy can be addictive and get expensive quickly.

Top Bottom