• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Get the cheapest one you can find. You're going to end up doing all the stuff you mentioned anyway. Then trot over to the rimfirecentral forum. All the info you might need and some you don't will be there. Half the fun of owning a 10/22 is dressing it up and making it shoot better at the same time.
    I was afraid of that. I have modified all my Idpa guns hoping to just open the box and shoot. The custom shop rifles look pretty nice. Triggers for the 10-22 are salty!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I am looking at getting a 10-22. Is that a stock barrel or aftermarket? I am debating getting the custom shop model or just get the cheapest one I can find and putting on a barrel stock trigger.
    EGL, I have a mostly stock early 90's 10/22. The only aftermarket rifle component is a Volquartsen trigger sear kit.

IMO, some kind of trigger is necessary as the stock one is **** on every single one I've shot.

And, I found the accuracy "sweet spot" for the torque on the stock/receiver screw... the tighter the torque, the more accurate, up to a point, then the group spread again.

With the ammo it likes, dime sized 5-shot groups at 25 yds... not the sweet tack-driver d.k has, but not bad for mostly stock, IMO.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    More than likely you'll find that standard velocity will be more accurate. Aguila and CCI are about the lowest priced I'd consider for accuracy testing. IME even the lower grades of the European ammo (SK, Eley, Lapua) will leave those in the dust. Those aren't really that much more expensive then CCI, the last Eley Action I bought was a whole $3 a brick more than CCI SV, SK Standard+ was $2 more, and both shoot significantly better than anything loaded this side of the Atlantic. Another sleeper I've found is Geco. Shoots very good and is cheap but does tend to have an occasional flyer. It is probably the lowest grade of Euro ammo and is still better than CCI.

I've found the mid priced ammo to be the sweet spot for performance to price, such as SK Rifle and Pistol match, Eley Club and Target. Plenty good for informal, club level matches. If you're thinking about serious competition, then be ready to pony up some big bucks for Eley tenex and Match along with Lapua Midas+ and Center-x.

Really, all we can do is give you advise. Rimfires are VERY ammo sensitive and what works for me may not work for you. You'll need to just find out yourself what works for your rifle and for your purposes.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I have a 455 varmint. I have had great luck with federal auto match. I could pretty regularly hit a 4 ” plate at 200 yards and it grouped about
    an inch at 100 yards. Sk match is better. I just got some eley tenex but it’s so expensive it’s like shooting centerfire.
    You must have got a good batch of the Federal AM. I've tried a couple of lots in several rifles and it didn't shoot worth a hoot in anything.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I was afraid of that. I have modified all my Idpa guns hoping to just open the box and shoot. The custom shop rifles look pretty nice. Triggers for the 10-22 are salty!
    If you can find a BX-Trigger, they’re damn nice for well under $100. I brought my trigger gauge to Bradis a couple years ago and compared several. They were all under 3 lbs, and the one I picked is just over 2 lbs. I’m very happy with it. The BX can turn most 10/22’s into a real “sleeper” of a rifle.

Edit: Ruger should have them in stock in about a week. I’d highly recommend anyone still with a stock trigger in their 10/22 order the BX-Trigger. It is truly great for the money:

Edit again: You can also send the stock trigger group (or even a BX) to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their highly regarded custom trigger work:

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you can find a BX-Trigger, they’re damn nice for well under $100. I brought my trigger gauge to Bradis a couple years ago and compared several. They were all under 3 lbs, and the one I picked is just over 2 lbs. I’m very happy with it. The BX can turn most 10/22’s into a real “sleeper” of a rifle.
    Just take it to a gunsmith have him do a trigger job on it tell him you want 3.5lb pull. Much cheaper.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The BX trigger is what I have in mine and also in the 10/22 I built for my daughter for Christmas. Great trigger for the money. First few I bought years back could be had for $50. The last one I bought I ended up paying $80 for. All of them were right at, or just under 3#

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My wife has a BX in her 10-22 Tiger. Just that one single mod turned a "meh" rifle into a decently accurate, fun little gun. Takes longer to get the action out of the stock than to actually replace the trigger group.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I modified all my trigger groups with Volquartsen parts. Used to be able to order just a VQ hammer alone. Swapping out the hammer drops the trigger pull to around 2 lbs. No gunsmith required. Plenty of videos of the swap.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We both have the same magazine lever. Where did you get the bolt handle and will it fit stock bolts? I really like that one you have over my stock handle.
    I'd have to go through my notes when I get home. I believe it's either volquartsen or kidd but I'll double check

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When I got my 10/22 I got some Remmington thunderbolt. Ran good, but very dirty. When I got my son's 10/22, I got 2 bricks of Aguila 22 Super Extra (plated). I got my Rifleman qualification with the Appleseed Project using that ammo. Very consistent from what I've seen. Also shot a lot of the CCI Mini-mag. Very happy with it too. Really want to try their "Clean-22".

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ll add my agreement with CCI SV. You can also weight sort it and gain a little more consistency. Blazer followed by Federal Automatch are also fairly good for bulk ammo. The poster that had the pic of six very similar groups with several different ammos is really impressive. I’ve done quite a few test like that with my custom 10/22 and his and my CCISV groups are pretty common. However, I can’t get groups anything like his others. Stingers are lucky to stay on the target and federal bulk 550 packs are good for about 4” groups at 50yds.
    Matt

Top Bottom