• ...and so much more!
  • hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry, I could not resist the pun.

I for one and I am sure there are several, enjoy plinking with with 22LR.

My problem or gripe, it seems that 1 or 2 out of every box of 50 is a dud.
    Sometime you can put them back in the chamber and they fire, (I speculate the primer did not get evenly distributed around the rim) and sometimes they don't. But shooting semi-autos, this creates a jam (have to eject find the round etc.) and is an overall pain and takes away from my range time.

So far, I have found American Eagle and Federal Champion Target ammo seems to be above average and rarely do I get duds. I found that Thunderbolts and the usual box of 550 usually have a decent amount of duds.

I bought bulk during the ammo shortage and am still using up my supply of thunderbolts, however I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations of other brands that are good or bad.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    My problem or gripe, it seems that 1 or 2 out of every box of 50 is a dud.
    Sometime you can put them back in the chamber and they fire, (I speculate the primer did not get evenly distributed around the rim) and sometimes they don't. But shooting semi-autos, this creates a jam (have to eject find the round etc.) and is an overall pain and takes away from my range time.

So far, I have found American Eagle and Federal Champion Target ammo seems to be above average and rarely do I get duds. I found that Thunderbolts and the usual box of 550 usually have a decent amount of duds.

What firearm(s) are you shooting? I use the Wally World Federal 550 bulk almost exclusively in all my .22s, and have NEVER had a dud in thousands of rounds. I do get an occasional stovepipe but never a complete dud. I stay away from Winchester bulk and will not even try Remington due to the bad remarks it gets on forums.
    Go to RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! , look up your particular weapon and see what others have success with.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/group.php?groupid=148

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have you tried the "bulk" ammo in another firearm. It seems to me that different firearms have different pins and amount of wear on the pins.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I like Federal Auto Match, CCI SV and CCI Mini Mags. I've also had good luck with Blazer bulk ammo believe it or not.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I usually get just winchester 555 bulk for my .22's. I would say that it is probably 1-3 in 50 that is a dud with this cheap ammo as well. I don't mind it too much, because it usually will let me know if I am jerking or pulling when I'm shooting.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    What firearm(s) are you shooting? I use the Wally World Federal 550 bulk almost exclusively in all my .22s, and have NEVER had a dud in thousands of rounds. I do get an occasional stovepipe but never a complete dud. I stay away from Winchester bulk and will not even try Remington due to the bad remarks it gets on forums.
    Go to RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! , look up your particular weapon and see what others have success with.

INGunOwners - Rimfire Shooters

I'm just the opposite. Federal Bulk in my Winchester 490 and my Ruger 10/20 is just awful. I've had good luck with CCI min-mag. I've had GREAT luck with CCI Stinger. :):

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Winchester 550 bulk box for me. I may get 1-2 duds every 3 boxes or so, but compared to the problems I had with Federal and Remington, I'll take it.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I don't remember the last time I had a dud with CCI Standard Velocity, or Mini Mags.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio

INGunOwners - Rimfire Shooters

Agreed, I have shot probably 3k rounds of this without a single issue.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I just picked up a brick of Centurion 38gr HP from KS&E for $23. Ed said it is made by Aquila and guys have been really happy with it. I did a Little research and it is indeed Aquila and he is selling it cheaper than the few places I found on line. I might gamble and go pick up another brick or two but would like to shoot it first.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I stay away from the cheap .22's. Unless it is a match that is important enough to use Eley 10X ammo, I use the CCI mini mags. They are very reliable, but cost a little more.

Top Bottom