• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've had no failures to fire with Federal Automatch, CCI SV, CCI Mini-Mag (of the 36 and 40gr variety).

This is in the following weapons:

Marlin 60
    10/22
    Savage FV-SR
    Marlin 25N
    Ruger 22/45
    Advantage Arms G19 kit (thing doesn't feed/cycle Automatch, however)

CCI Blazer and Winchester Dynapoint GT (black box from Dicks) have very occasional failure to fires, and overall shoot pretty well in my weapons.

I have found cheap bulk ammo (Rem Thunderbolt/Golden Bullet, Fed Bulk from Wallyworld) shoots like garbage and isn't reliable. Anything that isn't 1. reliable and 2. moderately accurate doesn't get bought.

Now if only Dick's in Clarksville will get a few cases of CCI SV bricks in stock...

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    I would have to agree about the CCI. I found some that were my dad's and I would guess 25-30 years old, still in the amber colored plastic. Every one of them worked in the lever action or single action revolver. The most problems I've had has been with the Remingtons.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Only have one 22cal ... a S&W M&P22. It loves CCI Mini Mags. Easily 500 rounds without FTF. Also, seems to like Aquila, Winchester and Thunderbolts (in that order). It does not like Federal ... 50% of them will not eject.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I use 550 federal bulk packs with no problems in my LR and pistols. I did however buy a used Sig Mosquito that did not like anything but cci mini mags. Even with the mini mags it still wasn't happy 100% of the time. Even ordered different springs from Sig. Still no luck.

Finally sold it to local gun shop and managed to break even...

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My Ruger mark 3 loves CCI Mini Mag. My rifle will shot any thing. I have been using Remington golden bullet HP in the rifle and have had no problems.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    I would advise that you might need to check the gun. Case in point I would shoot with my father. I have a Ruger MkII and he had a Buck Mark. Nothing against the Buck, but he got so disgusted with the "duds" that he traded the gun off. Thing was when we were shooting together - out of the same bulk box - he would get all the "duds" and I would not get any. I do not believe that I am that lucky or he is that unlucky, I just think the Ruger was hitting the primer harder (and that is what the brass seemed to indicate also). I do not know if the firing pin on the Buck was dirty, had a weak spring or what - and he did not keep it for me to look into.

Anyway - that is just my experience.

By the way, the Ruger is not perfect. But, when it does start acting up (like 2,000 rounds with minimal cleaning) I find that if I disassemble and clean the bolt / firing pin that everything returns to normal. Some of the bulk ammo is dirtier than others and that can lead to quicker fouling too.

Good luck.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I shoot Fedral 550 99% of the time. Once in a great while I get a shove pipe. Maybe one out of 7-800 rounds. My Guns are a Ruger 10-22 Mossberg, Plinkster 702 and a Ruger Mark III. I keep them cleaned and lubed per directions.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use the cheap 550-pack ammo—Remington. Winchester, Federal—in my 10/22 and my S&W 22A. I get several FTF in every range session, minimum of one per mag. It does not bother me. It lets me drill on FTFs. I collect them afterwards, reload them and most fire the second time. If they still do not fire, I just toss them. Figure I am still ahead over paying the higher price for the "good" ammo.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    In many, many thousands of rounds of .22LR, I've only had a handful of no-fires. Just discovered Remington Golden Bullets in the 525 bulk box. Found them on sale at Dick's a few weeks ago, and decided - despite having read many bad reviews - to give them a try. My Sig Mosquito is VERY picky about what it will run, so I decided to use it as the test platform. To my surprise, magazine after magazine went down range without a single issue. So I tried it in my 10/22, my Model 992 revolver, and all my other .22LR's - everything went bang as expected and there were no issues whatsoever. Immediately went back to Dick's and bought all they had!! YMMV, but I've found a new bulk .22LR - at least until I run up on a box that dashes my high hopes.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Only have one 22cal ... a S&W M&P22. It loves CCI Mini Mags. Easily 500 rounds without FTF. Also, seems to like Aquila, Winchester and Thunderbolts (in that order). It does not like Federal ... 50% of them will not eject.

My Marlin 60 has the same issue with these, but I would say it is closer to 10-15% on mine.

True Republican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I have never had a problem with Winchester golden bullet HP in my Mossberg 702. It's hard to beat the price on a bucket of bullets.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    My 10/22 eats everything, but an old Savage department store .22 bolt action I have gets a FTF every 5 or 6 rounds with certain brands.

Top Bottom