• ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    20240317_174440.jpg 20240317_174549.jpg
    I smoked some chicken breasts and then my wife made chicken and dumplings with it. She had never cooked before last October now she cooks everything from scratch and it is all AMAZING. No Canned biscuits or bisquick here. I figured id help out and mix things up a bit by making the chicken. I know how to eat so mine got mixed with mashed potatoes and corn as God intended.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I use lump exclusively. I think it takes slightly longer to get to temp, but not by much. It also leaves much less ash, and I don’t have to clean out my ashes as often. Also, when done with a cook, I just shut the vents and let the fire die out. When I go to light the grill again, there is some half used lump already in the basket that lights pretty quickly.
    thank you

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Just bought a 36" Blackstone. Just waiting for the weather, it will be a fajita making machine this summer. Oh, and smash burgers too. I am so ready.
    Use my Blackstone a lot. Make about 400 smash burgers on it for each big track meet at the High School. Lots of work but they are fantastic and we always sell out.

Don

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Use my Blackstone a lot. Make about 400 smash burgers on it for each big track meet at the High School. Lots of work but they are fantastic and we always sell out.

Don
    I want one. I heard they are a lot of maintenance tho, is that true?

I figured it wouldnt be much more than a smoker maintenance wise, but never owning one im just going off what ive heard.

Ideally, a good smoker, blackstone, and charcoal grill and id be happy cooking every meal outdoors. When i first bought my house at 21 i couldnt afford a decent smoker, so used cast iron on the fire pit almost daily. My neighbors probably thought i didnt own a stove for the first couple of years

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I want one. I heard they are a lot of maintenance tho, is that true?

I figured it wouldnt be much more than a smoker maintenance wise, but never owning one im just going off what ive heard.

Ideally, a good smoker, blackstone, and charcoal grill and id be happy cooking every meal outdoors. When i first bought my house at 21 i couldnt afford a decent smoker, so used cast iron on the fire pit almost daily. My neighbors probably thought i didnt own a stove for the first couple of years
    No more maintenance than any other grill. Scrape food off surface, hot water and maybe a little soap. Dry and oil for next time.
    Get it smoking hot and oil before using again. Easy.

Don

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Really enjoy how quickly these pork tenderloins smoke up. Busy day today (beautiful outside, wow!) but 3 pm hit with nothing started for dinner. With a push of a button on the pellet, dusting the loins, into the smoker, and by 5pm have a full belly and leftovers for tomorrow.

View attachment 343605
    Looks good!

We don't hardly ever eat pork chops anymore. Tenderloins are so quick and easy and much more tender that we go with those

Only time I do chops anymore is when the apples are fresh. Then it's bone in chops cooked in fresh apples with nutmeg and cinnamon in the cast iron skillet. Those are delicious

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Dad called me at work to tell me buyers market in marion had weber kettles for 50% off and today they also had a senior discount so I had him swing by the shop to grab my card and grab me one. Paid less than $10 more than I paid for my 14" weber. I just had 3 teeth yanked so its going to be a bit before I can cook anything on it which is disappointing.
    20240402_165449.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dad called me at work to tell me buyers market in marion had weber kettles for 50% off and today they also had a senior discount so I had him swing by the shop to grab my card and grab me one. Paid less than $10 more than I paid for my 14" weber. I just had 3 teeth yanked so its going to be a bit before I can cook anything on it which is disappointing.
    View attachment 344239
    Can't go wrong with a weber kettle in my opinion

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I made "poor man's" burnt ends (chuck instead of brisket point - not really "poor man's", since chuck roasts are about the same cost per pound as a full packer) over the weekend. First time trying this, but turned out excellently.
    20240330_171056.jpg

This is after I cubed the chuck, but before I sauced/covered/braised it:
    20240330_171059.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the finished product. They went over well. Nothing left.

I didn't wrap the roasts, which would have reduced the overall cook time by a couple hours. But, all-in, this took 6-7 hours.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Used the new kettle for chicken yesterday. I inhaled my sandwiches since it was the first solid food I had all week but my wife made a salad from it. Just Goya adobo seasoning and black pepper then pulled at 160 and let it climb while resting. 20240405_165746.jpg

I also dug through my scrap and found a round piece of 1/4 plate I stashed away. Going to start some charcoal and see if there's enough air flow around it and maybe make a flat top for it. 20240406_130617.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    View attachment 344239
    That is a steal!!!

Top Bottom