• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got back from hunting this morning and got to work breaking down the turkey and getting it into a cajun brine. I'm cooking it indirect on the Big Green Egg tomorrow.
    0TQLii3h.jpg

I wanted to try being able to pull the different parts of the bird off separately to see if I can't avoid anything being overcooked. I've been thinking about one of these for quite a while now. They were on sale and I have until January to return it if the juice ain't worth the squeeze but reviews are good.
    lr6SipYh.jpg

Took everything that didn't go into the brine along with a couple of onions and a carrot, roasted them and made a pot of stock. Cooked it down, pulled off the fat and added a bit of the cajun seasoning I'm using on the bird. Should make for some tasty gravy.
    15A1Ekoh.jpg

6kgB2U4h.jpg

Hope everyone has a successful day cooking tomorrow.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Gently smoked the turkey yesterday for 2 hours after a butter/apple juice injection. Used some seasoned crab apple wood, nice delicate flavor. Then into the oven covered to finish.

Family likes the mild smoke.

Don

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Got back from hunting this morning and got to work breaking down the turkey and getting it into a cajun brine. I'm cooking it indirect on the Big Green Egg tomorrow.
    0TQLii3h.jpg

I wanted to try being able to pull the different parts of the bird off separately to see if I can't avoid anything being overcooked. I've been thinking about one of these for quite a while now. They were on sale and I have until January to return it if the juice ain't worth the squeeze but reviews are good.
    lr6SipYh.jpg

Took everything that didn't go into the brine along with a couple of onions and a carrot, roasted them and made a pot of stock. Cooked it down, pulled off the fat and added a bit of the cajun seasoning I'm using on the bird. Should make for some tasty gravy.
    15A1Ekoh.jpg

6kgB2U4h.jpg

Hope everyone has a successful day cooking tomorrow.
    Love my Meater block! I primarily use it for meat on the smoker, but today it's monitoring the breast and thigh of the turkey I'm roasting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know what’s awesome?

Chicken noodle soup made with leftover smoked chicken.

Smoked a chicken Sunday. Made soup last night. I had the soup flavored really well I thought. Then I added the chicken and some of the gelled juice at the end to heat it up. Wow. It went from good to insane. :drool:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You know what’s awesome?

Chicken noodle soup made with leftover smoked chicken.

Smoked a chicken Sunday. Made soup last night. I had the soup flavored really well I thought. Then I added the chicken and some of the gelled juice at the end to heat it up. Wow. It went from good to insane. :drool:
    With leftover Turkey I will either do Turkey noodle soup or just Turkey and noodles and always make a pot pie as well. Then we're done eating turkey till the following Thanksgiving

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom