Not open for further replies.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Need some advice.

Our church is having a Beast Feast next Saturday, and I have been asked to make an appetizer. I have access to wild moose, venison, and goose, or I could buy chicken, pork, or beef.

Need some ideas for an appetizer for a large group. Thoughts?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I can honestly say I've never had ribs turn out as anything but good with that method.

Paper or foil?
    I only ever used foil ,even years ago before i got the pitboss sportsman1100sp. The pellets i have recently been using is those freedom blend i talked about couple weeks ago. Didn't think about taking pics. I kinda got burnt out with doing them after the pitboss groups. Always seeing the same thing kinda got old if you know what i mean.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Our church is having a Beast Feast next Saturday, and I have been asked to make an appetizer. I have access to wild moose, venison, and goose, or I could buy chicken, pork, or beef.

Edamame is a VERY popular appetizer.

I'll trade you for moose!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Need some advice.

I would make something with wild moose, venison and goose.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ok I'll stop. I'm probably not being very helpful. That recipe does look kind of tasty though. Probably not something for a Church function. Something more suited for a Super Bowl Party. Looks kind of labor intensive for making something in large quantities too.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ok I'll stop. I'm probably not being very helpful. That recipe does look kind of tasty though. Probably not something for a Church function. Something more suited for a Super Bowl Party. Looks kind of labor intensive for making something in large quantities too.
    I mean, I could leave the Bourbon out of the recipe and just drink it myself while smoking the meatballs.

Think I might make some smoked goose stuffed jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I mean, I could leave the Bourbon out of the recipe and just drink it myself while smoking the meatballs.

I like the cut of your jib. The smoked goose poppers sound good.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

That does sound tasty.
    What cut of venison and moose do you have, and how many people are we talking about.

This if you have tenderloin/backstrap available :drool:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That does sound tasty.
    What cut of venison and moose do you have, and how many people are we talking about.

This if you have tenderloin/backstrap available :drool:
    All the wild game has been donated by multiple people, and then distributed to those of us who can cook it. So I'm not sure which cuts are still available. I think there were 300 tickets sold for the event, but they are asking each person to cook for about 50.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    LOVE swordfish!

How did it go?
    No pictures, I failed.

Olive oil, salt, pepper and lemmon juice marinade.

Kamado joe to 350⁰, heat deflector on one half, direct heat on other half.

Started the fish over the heat deflected side till they reached 100⁰ internal, finished them at 140⁰ over direct heat.

Good enough to say we'll do it again.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I did pork steak. Sauced each side twice to put a little burn on the sauce. It was really good.

My wife steamed and buttered broccoli. She forgot and left the burner on warm when we were eating, and the butter carmelized. I ate the whole pan it was so good.

I also realized we went through 10 sticks of butter this week.

So I always find something to do outside while I'm watching the grill. I took the back seat out of the car, blew off the glitter (granddaughters, not stripper glitter), hit the bad spots with lighter fluid, put laundry soap and water in a spray bottle, and scrubbed the seat and hosed it off. Looks new again.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom