• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    From my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE: signs look positive for HB 1177 handgun training for teachers to get a hearing in the education and career development committee in the Senate.
    If this bill passes, I sure do wish they'd allow the average citizen to participate in the training and maybe gain endorsement to carry on school grounds as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If this bill passes, I sure do wish they'd allow the average citizen to participate in the training and maybe gain endorsement to carry on school grounds as well.
    Teachers, staff, and employees are listed in the bill now.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Teachers, staff, and employees are listed in the bill now.
    You know my stance on this one, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Might let the bill get passed and signed into law, and then see if the IHSEA or other homeschool group has any interest in suing to get homeschool teachers access to the program on Equal Protection grounds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You know my stance on this one, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Might let the bill get passed and signed into law, and then see if the IHSEA or other homeschool group has any interest in suing to get homeschool teachers access to the program on Equal Protection grounds.
    I'm not really sure what your personal stance is on this issue. But I believe if a typical school teacher, custodian, counselor can partake in training and coursework, and upon completion be allowed to responsibly carry on school grounds, then any proper citizen should be afforded the same opportunity and right.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not really sure what your personal stance is on this issue. But I believe if a typical school teacher, custodian, counselor can partake in training and coursework, and upon completion be allowed to responsibly carry on school grounds, then any proper citizen should be afforded the same opportunity and right.
    My stance is that it is unequal protection under the law for my tax dollars to go toward paying for the training of public school teachers, while I do not have access to those same tax dollars to pay for the same training for my children's teachers, because we homeschool.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    How would that be policed in a constitutional carry state?
    Just showing ID? If proper citizens can carry then why should school staff be required training to carry?……Slippery Slope IMO!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just showing ID? If proper citizens can carry then why should school staff be required training to carry?……Slippery Slope IMO!
    AFAIK, teacher carry and teacher training are two, separate matters. I think both require separate approval from the school district.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I am all for the teachers being able to carry. Not really wanting to pay anything extra. Yes training is good for all. But again we elevate them to another special position having to pay for extra. If I heard the bill right theyd have to go through mental health evaluation too? If they do but fail that shouldn't they be removed from teaching?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Const. Carry doesn't allow for proper persons to carry on school grounds. It probably should, but it doesn't. As such, training for school employees that would allow them to carry on school grounds would necessarily come with some type of supra-credential to do so. I'm simply advocating for access to said credential for all proper persons willing to undergo the required training and testing. The slope is no slipperier for you and I than it is for little Mrs. Krabapple.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My stance is that it is unequal protection under the law for my tax dollars to go toward paying for the training of public school teachers, while I do not have access to those same tax dollars to pay for the same training for my children's teachers, because we homeschool.
    I see what you're saying and I agree

I've always been against sovereign citizens

The Legislature gave themselves more rights than the people when they legislated that they cam carry in the statehouse. I should be able to legally carry there also.

Just like police shouldn't be able to carry nationwide or in gun free zones if we can't.

Now they're legislating school staff rights they should already have under the constitution as should every legal citizen, the right to carry on school grounds. I pay for that **** and I have kids that attend these ****** govt schools, yet I can't protect them or myself if I'm on school grounds.
    Their excuse, they have resource and police officers that keep the grounds safe. Well we all know thats BS because they can't stop anything from happening, only mop up the mess in MOST cases.

Staff should absolutely be able to carry, and without training. But I always support training. The training part of this bill is just sugar to help the medicine go down for the general idiotic public. And let's be honest, a lot of these state reps and state senators are complete idiots

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am all for the teachers being able to carry. Not really wanting to pay anything extra. Yes training is good for all. But again we elevate them to another special position having to pay for extra. If I heard the bill right theyd have to go through mental health evaluation too? If they do but fail that shouldn't they be removed from teaching?
    A lot of teachers are liberal nuts
    They should already have to go through mental health evaluations to be around kids.
    Anyone that thinks pushing transgender or any sexualized ideas on children is OK and normal is a sick ****er imo.
    These public schools Have been overran by the far left nuts and they are failing in educating kids too. They are brainwashing children not educating them.
    It's happening in most schools too. They've snuck in the front door even in conservative counties.
    The best thing we can do besides shutting them down, (that will never happen) is force them to self identify and make school board candidates declare their political party affiliation. And for God sakes, parents, and tax payers, please show up at your local school board meetings. I promise you will learn A LOT and get pissed off at the incompetence and waste in your local school systems. These are elected officials
    They are at the magistrate level under the Indiana constitution and they CAN be held legally accountable for violating their oaths.
    File FOIA requests and start digging.

Don't rely on state reps to fix your problems. Most of them have no idea and the ones that do and care are outnumbered. The others that know what's going on and refuse to act, have sold out to special interest groups or are cowards and will never stand up for what is right.

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Const. Carry doesn't allow for proper persons to carry on school grounds. It probably should, but it doesn't. As such, training for school employees that would allow them to carry on school grounds would necessarily come with some type of supra-credential to do so. I'm simply advocating for access to said credential for all proper persons willing to undergo the required training and testing. The slope is no slipperier for you and I than it is for little Mrs. Krabapple.
    Ok …. I didn’t see where you were advocating for training and testing for the proper person!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Still waiting for the schedule to update for that committee. A lot of really strong feelings on the matter here, so I’m not banging the drum on this one, as I have some others.

My sources tell me a hearing is in the future for 1177. Planning on testifying in support. The last time a similar bill was up? Coach was there that day and testified.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And it’s not up this week. At least 3 more committee days coming up for the session.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I finally got around to reading the bill in full. It's a funding bill actually. It defines where funds come from, what they can be used for and that includes the inserted language regarding arming trained school staff. As currently written a sponsored staff member must complete a MMPI-2 test (mental assessment). It contains language that sets a minimum of 40.5hrs of training. There is no maximum training hours although there are maximum training fund$. Of the 40.5hrs, 24hrs are on marksmanship and 8hrs are on "dynamic shooting drills". Page 12, lines 22-27 was offered by amendment (that failed) to be removed. Those lines contain language outlining anonymity of the trained teacher unless otherwise required by law. Also the trained teacher cannot be required to participate in drills unless told of the drill and consents. Curious.

Top Bottom