• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok fellow INGOers! Courts and Criminal Code and Education committees not updated yet for this week. Ways and Means does not have 1347 scheduled for a hearing

The House has only one more committee hearing day after this week

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ALERT!! HB 1177 is up for a hearing in the Education Committee. This provides firearms training for teachers. From Jim Lucas, not the crony capitalists.

No good news from Courts and Criminal Code, time to fill Wendy McNamara’s inbox and voice mail!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    ALERT!! HB 1177 is up for a hearing in the Education Committee. This provides firearms training for teachers. From Jim Lucas, not the crony capitalists.

No good news from Courts and Criminal Code, time to fill Wendy McNamara’s inbox and voice mail!
    Courts and Criminal Code. Nothing good. I've already sent e-mail requesting 1117 and 1261 get a hearing.

Bills to be heard February 8th agenda
    HB 1569

HB 1087

HB 1648

HB 1186

HB 1493

HJR 6

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Courts and Criminal Code. Nothing good. I've already sent e-mail requesting 1117 and 1261 get a hearing.

Bills to be heard February 8th agenda
    HB 1569

HB 1087

HB 1648

HB 1186

HB 1493

HJR 6
    Yip, ol Wendy needs some motivation sent her way.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Dear [state senator, state rep, chairman of House Ways & Means Committee]:

Today I am writing to voice my support for this year's HB1347. 1347 allows tax credits for firearms training and safety storage devices like gun safes. The more people trained with firearms we have, the safer our communities are and the fewer the accidents, especially with children, we will have. This is common sense non-partisan legislation.

Please support HB1347. I thank you for your time.

/s/ I. N. Goer

If you do not know who your state rep or state senator is, please look it up here:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/find-legislators/
    Bumping Kirk's draft to go to Ways and Means Chair Thompson

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here's the first one (HB 1261 AKA fix Nantz v State)

Specific to the committee chair since that's who gets it scheduled for a hearing. Link to send the email is below also.

Representative McNamara,

I am writing to encourage your support of HB 1261, Self Defense. Authored by Representative Lucas and co-authored by Representatives Torr, Morrison, and Payne: this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

HB 1261 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, HB 1261 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What bill does is accurately define deadly force.

The Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State (2001) that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. HB 1261 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

HB 1261 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining of reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation, and bring this bill up for a hearing.

Thank you,

Draft #1 to Rep McNamara

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here's the second one to (hopefully) motivate Rep McNamara. Specific to her since she's the chair.

Representative McNamara,

It is imperative HB 1117 Second Amendment Protection receive a hearing and a vote in the Courts and Criminal Code Committee.

Recently we have witnessed unprecedented abuse of authority by the Executive Branch of the federal government. Most recently the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) has sought to require the registration of millions of braced pistols as short-barreled rifles under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA 1934.) This is being done not through legislation, but through a rule change. BATFE had considered braced pistols to be handguns (not subject to NFA 1934) for over 10 years.

HB 1117 references the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution concerning limitations on the powers of the federal government, and the powers left to the people and the States. Our Founders understood the importance of limiting federal power, but couldn’t have foreseen the “Administrative State” that we have today, and must check.

Abusive government entities continue the abuse until stopped. Unfortunately, this requires the Judicial Branch of government to become involved, and often takes a lot of time and resources. HB 1117 is a proactive and preemptive measure to protect the essential rights affirmed by the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution and Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana State Constitution.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation, and bringing HB 1117 up for a hearing.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone

Draft #2 to Rep McNamara

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some good news: HB 1323 (Info security relating to firearms) passed the House on 3rd reading yesterday 81-13. Senators Freeman and Tomes (both HUGE 2A supporters) are the Senate sponsors.

We picked off a few dems on this one (Hatfield, Klinker not a surprise. Vernon Smith and Stephanie Pfaff surprised me.)

The 13 Nays are the usual suspects/link below.

This should go to the Corrections and Crimianl Law Committee in the Senate, Chaired by Senator Freeman.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Operation Call the Committee Chairs: Part 2

Jeffrey Thompson: Ways and Means Chair.

800-382-9841

Ask to leave a message for Representative Thompson

Message: Please schedule HB 1347 (Income Tax Credit for Firearms Safety Expenses) for a hearing

(Digest)
    Income tax credit for firearms safety expenses. Provides a state income tax credit for expenses incurred to receive qualified firearms instruction or to purchase a qualified firearms storage device. Provides that the tax credit is equal to the amount of the incurred expenses. Provides that the maximum amount allowed as a tax credit is $300 for individuals filing single returns or $600 for married couples filing joint returns. Provides that a tax credit may not exceed the taxpayer's state income tax liability. Provides that a taxpayer is not entitled to a carryover, carryback, or refund of any unused tax credit.

Bumping this one one more time (OK, I'll bump it in the morning too.) Down to the wire to get a hearing, phone lines are open 0815-1645. Let them know we are here.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Specific to the committee chair since that's who gets it scheduled for a hearing. Link to send the email is below also.

Representative McNamara,

I am writing to encourage your support of HB 1261, Self Defense. Authored by Representative Lucas and co-authored by Representatives Torr, Morrison, and Payne: this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

HB 1261 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, HB 1261 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What bill does is accurately define deadly force.

The Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State (2001) that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. HB 1261 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

HB 1261 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining of reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation, and bring this bill up for a hearing.

Thank you,

While you're at it, let Wendy know there are two more bills that need a hearing.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Representative McNamara,

Thank you,

While I'm here...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Operation Call the Committee Chairs: Part 2

Jeffrey Thompson: Ways and Means Chair.

800-382-9841

Ask to leave a message for Representative Thompson

Message: Please schedule HB 1347 (Income Tax Credit for Firearms Safety Expenses) for a hearing

(Digest)
    Income tax credit for firearms safety expenses. Provides a state income tax credit for expenses incurred to receive qualified firearms instruction or to purchase a qualified firearms storage device. Provides that the tax credit is equal to the amount of the incurred expenses. Provides that the maximum amount allowed as a tax credit is $300 for individuals filing single returns or $600 for married couples filing joint returns. Provides that a tax credit may not exceed the taxpayer's state income tax liability. Provides that a taxpayer is not entitled to a carryover, carryback, or refund of any unused tax credit.

Give them a call!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Operation Call the Committee Chairs: Part 1

Wendy McNamara: Courts and Criminal Code Chair. Three bills in her committee that need a hearing

800-382-9841

Ask to leave a message for Representative McNamara

Message: Please schedule HB 1117 (2nd Amendment Protection) for a hearing

(Digest, handy if needed)
    Second amendment protection. Provides that certain federal laws that infringe on the right to keep and bear arms are invalid, not recognized, and rejected, and shall not be enforced by Indiana. Specifies penalties and causes of action concerning a political subdivision or law enforcement agency that employs a: (1) law enforcement officer who enforces or attempts to enforce certain provisions or otherwise deprives a citizen of Indiana of particular constitutional rights or privileges; or (2) federal official, or person who gives material aid to a federal official, who knowingly enforces or attempts to enforce certain laws. Specifies exceptions.

Message: Please schedule HB 1261 (Self Defense) for a hearing. This has passed the Senate three times, never received a hearing in the House.

(Digest)
    Self-defense. Specifies that "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm for purposes of arrest or to prevent an escape, or for self-defense.

Between 0845-1645,

Edit: I bumped the wrong one, HBs 1117 and 1261 are the ones that need a hearing. 1323 is on it's way to the Senate.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Waiting to get word from my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE on whether we are going CLEARED HOT on the phone lines or save our ammo for later in the session.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Waiting to get word from my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE on whether we are going CLEARED HOT on the phone lines or save our ammo for later in the session.
    Is there potential for more committee meetings, or have we ran out of time?

Not happy that Rep McNamara has again ignored fixing Nantz (so far).

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is there potential for more committee meetings, or have we ran out of time?

Not happy that Rep McNamara has again ignored fixing Nantz (so far).
    I did not get a reply. I'll be hitting the refresh button on the IGA site later this AM. The site should update around 0700 if there is anything to see.

Not happy with the Courts and Criminal Code either. Will see if it's more or less unhappy after 0700.

Top Bottom