• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Be careful out there.

Make me wonder what kind of dog gets mistaken for antlerless deer and if you see someone walking their pet deer, is it ok to shoot?
    Some people simply should not be allowed to hunt with firearms. Something like this is inexcusable in my eyes. If someone can't hold it together or maintain their composure long enough to positively identify what they're shooting at they have no business hunting nor any business owning firearms.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    So far I’ve seen one 4 pointer. The areas I hunt in Henry and Wayne counties were hit very hard by blue tongue last year. Next weekend i am going to Shelby county with some other guys. They have had a lot of action there so im hoping it will be a better weekend.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well my dad is feeling the effects of chemo (only made one sit so far hoping for better condition during muzzleloader) but tomorrow is a good day good wind good temp….. so I’m gonna take my 7yo out to the box blind and see if something comes by.

The only thing I don’t like is it looked like an almost full moon so I have heard they get all the moving done at night when it is like that …. We will see.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do we think about taking young bucks?

I have an open invite to a buddies woods that is just too far away for me to practically consider. I told him if by chance I chose to go down to not be concerned that I'd take his trophies because I am just in it for the meat. I'd only take does.

Buddy said he'd rather I took young bucks from his woods. Seemed to know what he was talking about, managing the population in his woods?

Long story short, the last couple seasons in my tiny piece of land to hunt, I have seen more bucks than does. Plenty of does around the rest of the year, but during seasons, mainly bucks.

I wonder if I shouldn't think a little more seriously about taking a buck in the back pasture? Seen a spike buck this evening. Should I not consider one so young?

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

I have an open invite to a buddies woods that is just too far away for me to practically consider. I told him if by chance I chose to go down to not be concerned that I'd take his trophies because I am just in it for the meat. I'd only take does.

Buddy said he'd rather I took young bucks from his woods. Seemed to know what he was talking about, managing the population in his woods?

Long story short, the last couple seasons in my tiny piece of land to hunt, I have seen more bucks than does. Plenty of does around the rest of the year, but during seasons, mainly bucks.

I wonder if I shouldn't think a little more seriously about taking a buck in the back pasture? Seen a spike buck this evening. Should I not consider one so young?
    Take the spike. They eat just fine. Don't ever let someone else tell you what to shoot. Fill the freezer or go for a walk hanger. I won't judge.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

As stated, young bucks eat just fine and they're about the easiest critter to kill in the woods this time of year.. They may as well be blindfolded and have their nostrils plugged.

If it's my buddy's ground and he'd prefer I shoot a young buck, that's what would be on my target list.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Took my inline muzzleloader out and missed (likely grazed his chest since blood trail stopped after half a mile) a nice 8 to 10 pointer on Saturday morning. 80 yard shot I misjudged and aimed like it was a 50 yard shot. Rookie mistake got excite and shot early (like usual). Should have aimed so no matter the drop would have ended up in vitals.
    My .54 Knight in-line with 110g loose Tripple 7, shooting 325g hollow point marks almost exactly the same at 50yds as it does 80 yds. My bow.......not so much. You might want to fire a few practice shots before you head out again. You may be shooting a weak load though? I think there may be a dead 8 to 10 pointer within 150 yards of last blood.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My .54 Knight in-line with 110g loose Tripple 7, shooting 325g hollow point marks almost exactly the same at 50yds as it does 80 yds. My bow.......not so much. You might want to fire a few practice shots before you head out again. You may be shooting a weak load though? I think there may be a dead 8 to 10 pointer within 150 yards of last blood.
    Agree 50-80 with a modern muzzleloader should be very close poi

Out with my youngest again we may have burned this stand …. Maybe we will give it a rest so HOPEFULLY I can get my dad out here again when he is feeling better muzzleloader maybe :dunno:

Top Bottom