• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    What is the best wood chunk to smoke your turkey ?
    Haha, this is probably almost as bad as 1911 vs Glock.

My answer is depends on if you like a strong smoke or a light smoke flavor.

Pecan is strongest I'll use on birds.
    Cherry is a middle ground
    Apple, Maple or Peach is our favorite because my family always complains if the birds are to smoky.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Haha, this is probably almost as bad as 1911 vs Glock.

My answer is depends on if you like a strong smoke or a light smoke flavor.

Pecan is strongest I'll use on birds.
    Cherry is a middle ground
    Apple, Maple or Peach is our favorite because my family always complains if the birds are to smoky.
    Thanks Jay ! I’m in agreement with you on the overpowering hardwoods.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I usually consider the skin on chickens or turkeys to be sacrificial. I smoke the crap out of the birds and throw the skin away as it's usually black by the time I'm done. This week I plan to cook a turkey on the BGE but I'm not going to add any smoking woods this time to see if I can get an edible skin on it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I usually consider the skin on chickens or turkeys to be sacrificial. I smoke the crap out of the birds and throw the skin away as it's usually black by the time I'm done. This week I plan to cook a turkey on the BGE but I'm not going to add any smoking woods this time to see if I can get an edible skin on it.
    You just going to crank the temps at the end?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My plan this year for the bird is instead of butter under the skin, BACON! Figure it'll render down and baste for a much longer time than the butter.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Any of you guys ever smoke with wood from a crab apple tree?

I took one down a bit over a year ago.... saved much of the wood for smoking. I am wondering if anybody else has tried it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I took one down a bit over a year ago.... saved much of the wood for smoking. I am wondering if anybody else has tried it.
    Might be good. It is a fruit wood, and most will work. If you have a bunch sacrifice some and a chicken leg or two...

I'm curious about mulberry, getting ready to take down 4 smaller ones soon. Wondering if it's worth it so save any.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

And if you do try it, maybe you'll discover the next hot thing. Then all the pit masters will want to be more like BigRed.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    And if you do try it, maybe you'll discover the next hot thing. Then all the pit masters will want to be more like BigRed.

img_0744-jpg.168779

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Figured I'd put my latest purchase review in here instead of a new thread.

I have been looking for a small tailgating type grill to keep in my pop-up camper and use when I just want to grill a quick burger since it's just me and my son at home.

The smaller propane grill just feel so cheesy and flare up a lot and I'm not a fan of charcoal. So I really wanted another pellet grill since I love my Green Mountain. Problem is the smallest Green Mountain is still pretty big. So I finally decided to roll the dice on one I've seen on amazon for a little while and I couldn't be happier.

I bought my Asmoke AS300 right before our annual Halloween camping trip and family roll up competition. I burned it off Friday night and it heated up quickly. We were at 350 in about 7 minutes. Saturday morning I did chicken thighs for some soup later on, I could get nine medium sized thighs on it and they all cooked perfectly even, no hot spots at all.

Later that day I cooked deer roll-ups and pork roll-ups for the contests. They all came out just as nice as if they were done on my big grill.

Sunday morning we baked cinnamon rolls and grilled sausage links on it and they turned out great as well.

I have been very happy with this grill. It sips pellets compared to my big grill, cooks evenly, and it small enough to store in my pop-up camper. I highly recommend it for anyone needing a small grill. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

yisun5mtv4pwspbfwksy.png

Amazon product ASIN B08JCQ4C79

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Pretty sure it's actually in the apple family, not just a name. I'm guessing it will be like any other apple.

You'll have to let us know.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just dropped Thursday's bird into a 5 gallon bucket of brine to finish thawing. The forecast isn't looking great for smoking it Thursday but that is the plan. I think I'm just running lump in the Big Green Egg with it this time rather than adding smoking wood. Might be able to eat the skin that way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom