• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Maybe the part of the state matters more this year? Spoke with a lady from Carmel about her poor tomato crop this year and numerous folks from my area in the southern part of the state. :scratch:
    Guess anything is possible. I have had off years but definitely a bounty this year. All my mater plants are 6-8ft tall and I can pick, roughly every 2-3 days, 8-10 pounds of em.

Cucumbers have been great this year after a real bad last year.

Peppers doing great too, but we don't eat a lot of them so just pick as I need

Just started our 3rd batch of lettuce from seed this past weekend.

Harvested my purple potatoes already and in about 2-3 weeks will harvest the Yukon golds as well.

Carrots just about ready to be plucked too.

2nd round of raspberries going strong as well.

Still getting about a quarter of Strawberries per week too

Been a real good garden year for me.

Love having a greenhouse for jump starting the season. My first year for that so maybe that's what I've needed all along

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Today's harvest from my little 10x10 garden plot. It has been a good year for tomatoes and cukes in the garden and potted peppers on the patio. Zucchini and squash haven't produced a lot but they were just something new to try this year. I probably won't bother with squash next year, at least not this yellow variety which is pretty bland tasting. This was my first time growing cucumbers and they have been fun. I keep finding more of them underneath the vines.

I planted green beans around July 4th after three successive plantings had 90% failure to germinate. This time they came up strong and started getting blossoms and a few small beans last week. A second planting of snow peas just popped out of the ground a couple days ago.

My garden wasn't doing very well during the dry Spring but once we started getting rain in late June, it has flourished.

18C58CCB-C3D5-48E4-9114-8D7D07227E69_1_105_c.jpeg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love seeing the harvests you guys are getting. This year I got skunked. Everything I tried to do to improve our garden seemed to backfire, and what plants did manage to grow all got gobbled up by deer.

I'm thinking of making a second attempt at planting a garden right now but I'm not sure if it's too late to harvest anything for this year again.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Maybe the part of the state matters more this year? Spoke with a lady from Carmel about her poor tomato crop this year and numerous folks from my area in the southern part of the state. :scratch:
    I have sandy soil (Jackson Co.). I've had a really good year so far.

Been a busy morning...
    3ed08a927f754e45e9d69f5c5761240b.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Guess anything is possible. I have had off years but definitely a bounty this year. All my mater plants are 6-8ft tall and I can pick, roughly every 2-3 days, 8-10 pounds of em.

Cucumbers have been great this year after a real bad last year.

Peppers doing great too, but we don't eat a lot of them so just pick as I need

Just started our 3rd batch of lettuce from seed this past weekend.

Harvested my purple potatoes already and in about 2-3 weeks will harvest the Yukon golds as well.

Carrots just about ready to be plucked too.

2nd round of raspberries going strong as well.

Still getting about a quarter of Strawberries per week too

Been a real good garden year for me.

Love having a greenhouse for jump starting the season. My first year for that so maybe that's what I've needed all along
    How big is your new greenhouse?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    How big is your new greenhouse?
    It's just an 8' x 6' Cheap Harbor Freight one that I built a solid base for the frame out of 6×4s and anchored it real well. It's held up extremely well by doing that thru some pretty good storms with high wind.

Here's a pic from back in April. We've since put a paver floor in as well

20200516_154629.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love seeing the harvests you guys are getting. This year I got skunked. Everything I tried to do to improve our garden seemed to backfire, and what plants did manage to grow all got gobbled up by deer.

I'm thinking of making a second attempt at planting a garden right now but I'm not sure if it's too late to harvest anything for this year again.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Don't care for them either. They are fun for a project though. Make good shapes & sizes for flasks/birdhouses/etc.
    Your thinking of gourds, not squash. Butternut is excellent baked with butter, salt, and pepper. I used to drop an egg in the divot where the seeds were and bake it with so as to have most of a meal in one place.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Your thinking of gourds, not squash. Butternut is excellent baked with butter, salt, and pepper. I used to drop an egg in the divot where the seeds were and bake it with so a sto have most of a meal in one place.
    May try that with a zucchini. We've made pizza boats similar to your way. Core and fill.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Today's harvest from my little 10x10 garden plot. It has been a good year for tomatoes and cukes in the garden and potted peppers on the patio. Zucchini and squash haven't produced a lot but they were just something new to try this year. I probably won't bother with squash next year, at least not this yellow variety which is pretty bland tasting. This was my first time growing cucumbers and they have been fun. I keep finding more of them underneath the vines.

I planted green beans around July 4th after three successive plantings had 90% failure to germinate. This time they came up strong and started getting blossoms and a few small beans last week. A second planting of snow peas just popped out of the ground a couple days ago.

My garden wasn't doing very well during the dry Spring but once we started getting rain in late June, it has flourished.

View attachment 152406
    Try that yellow squash diced along with onion, zucchini, red bell pepper, and some portobello mushrooms and a couple cloves of chopped garlic, all sautéed in olive oil. Ad some finely shredded cabbage near the end of the saute to add some crunch. I salt and pepper to taste and serve over brown rice. Usually balsamic vinaigrette with it, but soy sauce or oyster sauce are both good in it.

Top Bottom