• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We had four juvenile green herons trying to catch bugs in the flower garden today. Quite a show. Made for an interesting interlude and gave me a bird to look up and learn about.
    :)

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I haven't had much luck with zucchini so far this season or past seasons for that matter. The blossoms would fall off of the fruits and they would never grow. I found several online articles describing this as a failure to pollinate. They suggested manually pollinating the flowers. When the flower on the fruit opens up, I pick one of the male flowers and transfer some of its pollen to the flower on the fruit. So far, this has been successful on several attempts.

4BB580EE-A66E-4980-9343-A0DB6CB0F3A8_1_105_c.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    We had four juvenile green herons trying to catch bugs in the flower garden today. Quite a show. Made for an interesting interlude and gave me a bird to look up and learn about.
    :)
    How big are those young herons? We have a couple of blue herons hanging around our stormwater pond behind the house but have never seen young ones.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How big are those young herons? We have a couple of blue herons hanging around our stormwater pond behind the house but have never seen young ones.
    The juveniles don't have long necks. We watched a strange grey bird that we couldn't readily identify from the canoe while fishing once. Then mama few up and they both flew off.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Kinda sick of making pickles. They keep coming though. Had to catch up on others. 3c shredded zucchini for the freezer. 6 bags total this round. 1 bag/ batch of Z bread ( 2 loaves). Finally got a few ripe(ish) tomato. Got the feeling by weeks end I'll be making salsa.
    b943a4cb4226faa6e44134e08bd77141.jpg

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    An average daily haul from my cukes and zukes.
    Last year's end of season soil treatment in the raised beds are paying big dividends this year, my cantaloupes and spaghetti squash are looking respectable in size and quantity too.

20210727_200242.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Silly question time, anyone know what this is lol? My wife did all of the planting and she's not sure what this is. We got the garden in way late so whatever it is, it's likely several weeks behind schedule.
    KjSuzqBh.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks! I'm not much of a squash fan but the wife is. Good thing because these things are growing 2' a day and trying to take over the whole garden.

Don't care for them either. They are fun for a project though. Make good shapes & sizes for flasks/birdhouses/etc.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks! I'm not much of a squash fan but the wife is. Good thing because these things are growing 2' a day and trying to take over the whole garden.
    Wife likes them. I dont. She cuts in half and removes seeds. Sprinkles brown sugar and bakes in oven for like half hour. Eats it with a spoon

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nice haul today. The salsa cometh...
    a386de6f2aec5f3e6f727249ba846c82.jpg
    A very nice haul!

Everyone I've spoke with has expressed that this is a very bad year for tomatoes. I can attest to the same. Lotta blight, disease, various early rot, etc.

I've made one double batch of salsa and hopefully another soon on the way. I've been scrounging, using cherry tomatoes and not yet all the way ripe ones.

I'm really low on salsa and need to get a few cases put up.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    A very nice haul!

Everyone I've spoke with has expressed that this is a very bad year for tomatoes. I can attest to the same. Lotta blight, disease, various early rot, etc.

I've made one double batch of salsa and hopefully another soon on the way. I've been scrounging, using cherry tomatoes and not yet all the way ripe ones.

I was worried until last week. I'll have another round like this in 3-4 days most likely. Not pictured are the 2 full windowsills and the lot on the rainbox just off the garden. Cherry's are near done.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    A very nice haul!

No issues with my maters.
    Last night's pick

3573.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom