• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are so far behind this year. Just got the garden prepped this weekend and the maters in the ground. Just doing Cuc's and onions past that this year.

Question....what is the best ground clear (nothing survives) out there. Seems they have neutered round up due to all the law suits.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We are so far behind this year. Just got the garden prepped this weekend and the maters in the ground. Just doing Cuc's and onions past that this year.

Question....what is the best ground clear (nothing survives) out there. Seems they have neutered round up due to all the law suits.
    You are not in any trouble on your timing. The ground has been really cold, even though day temps are OK.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure cheating mother nature actually did very much on the warm weather plants.

DNR forester told me a few years back that glyphosate (roundup) works fine in most of its named and generic brands. Temps, timing and use of a surfactant with it make all the differerence.

Glyphosate doesn't work well below 70 degrees. 80+ dry and sunny is when it's most effective. I use dawn as a surfactant.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are not in any trouble on your timing. The ground has been really cold, even though day temps are OK.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure cheating mother nature actually did very much on the warm weather plants.

DNR forester told me a few years back that glyphosate (roundup) works fine in most of its named and generic brands. Temps, timing and use of a surfactant with it make all the differerence.

Glyphosate doesn't work well below 70 degrees. 80+ dry and sunny is when it's most effective. I use dawn as a surfactant.
    Thanks bw. Now I have to look up surfactant.......:):

RevolverGuy75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Central IN
    I'm trying something new this year by putting down a weed barrier and then poking holes in where I want plants to grow. I'm hoping this keeps the weeds down to a minimum.

I'm also going to do some experimenting with laying a cattle panel on it's side for green beans to use at a trellis and I'm hoping to grow the heck out of them.
    Trying the same concept with plastic roll. Cutting holes for the plants. Just don’t have the time for constant weeding.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Trying the same concept with plastic roll. Cutting holes for the plants. Just don’t have the time for constant weeding.
    I should have used a heavy plastic in mine. The weed barrier I used allows some light in and it's enough for weeds to grow. Last night I put the green been seeds in and the weed barrier looked like pillows from the weeds underneath it pushing it up. I'm not completely confident that what I did is going to keep all season long, but next year is another chance to learn I suppose.

RevolverGuy75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Central IN
    Anyone ever tried “tar paper” as a weed barrier? I’m wondering if that’s bad for the soil as it decomposes though. Or if I remove it before tilling in late fall.. :scratch:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    its annoying for leafy veggies (lettuce) but putting down a thick bed of grass clippings between the rows works well. By annoying I mean you gotta rinse the hell out of it to get the blades of grass that gets mixed in and sticks to the leaves.

You'll need to supplement more Nitrogen later in the fall because that breakdown of the organics when tilled under steals Nitrogen from your soil.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Planted the tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, squash, cabbage and cucumbers plants and a row of beans, turnips and sunflower seeds last weekend. I have used a propane torch to do weeds. It’s time consuming and the weeds do return. Industrial weed killer is quick and easy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The spinach leaves were getting that pointy look, so I shaved them down. Hopefully they aren't going to bolt immediately. This heat has been hard on the greens and lettuces.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This heat has been hard on the greens and lettuces.
    Wouldn't know. We ate all ours already (lettuces). Lol. Started more seeds about 2 weeks ago. Will probably just grow this batch in pots in the basement. Bring them out on cooler days and leave them under the lights when it's to hot

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The spinach leaves were getting that pointy look, so I shaved them down. Hopefully they aren't going to bolt immediately. This heat has been hard on the greens and lettuces.
    Right now, I'm eating 3 pretty bushy spinach plants that were headed for the sky.

Washed them, cut off the roots, chopped the rest (seeds and all.)

In the skillet with onion and chive blossoms, canned japs, mushroom soup and pulled pork.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of my favorite everbearing are ever sweet, temptation, and ozark beauty.

At this point in my patch there's probably 8-10 varieties that grow in a given year
    Many thanks again for encouraging me to add some variety! I have a second Junebearer and 3 everbearers, one a mistaken purchase. :rolleyes:

So far the best tasting has been a Chandler.

Berries were way behind this year and few due to last year's patch cut down by 3/4. No idea how or if they will keep producing much longer? Last tracking years back showed berries dropping off production end of May, to all but stopping early June.

Couple of short qt's of strawberry/rhubarb compote headed for freezer. And the tasty desert I earned... 20210528_172433.jpg

Top Bottom