• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Alright folks, I'm all about getting a garden in this year. I have seeds and the soil & containers for a wide variety of veggies (I don't plan to use them all this year), what I don't have is experience. I have around 1/4 acre I can dedicate to a garden but other than where I want it, that's about all I know at this point. I was hoping we could get some of the more knowledgeable and experienced gardeners to help out people like me and create a reference people could use to improve their harvests.

What I'd like to do is keep a timeline and only have people post about what they are currently doing. Rather than lengthy posts covering a wide variety of topics, if we keep it to current events only I'm thinking it might play out to be a very useful thread. As the season's get along folks can post pics of their harvests and who knows, maybe trade seeds & such after season.

To kick things off (again, I know nothing) what are people doing right now? I haven't marked out where I want the garden but I honestly don't know where to start. I bought a book but I'm not one who does well with that approach. Should I be staking it out now and spraying to kill off the grass? Just till the grass under (I have a 5' wide tiller)? I have composted horse manure ready to put down, should I just spread it where I want the garden, let it kill the grass for a week or so then till it in?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Start small. I have so many times saw someone start too big, only to decide it’s too much work, then lost all interest.

You want it to be enjoyable. If you start small enough, you’ll look forward to expanding each year.

When I would expand, I always liked tilling up the grass in fall. This would allow the grass to decompose all winter as to avoid the risk of tying up available nitrogen to the plants in spring as the matter decomposes. I have seen folks till in grass in spring, rake out what they could get and they still fared well tho.

I would avoid the use of chemicals to kill the grass. I’m sure there are probably some out there that you could use with no negative effect on what you’ll be planting later, but I wouldn’t have a clue to what to use tho.

Again, start small. While it can be very enjoyable, it will be a lot of work. Keep it enjoyable and have fun !

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would be hesitant on using weed killer in my garden, but that is just me.
    I like Coop's suggestion to send in a soil sample from the area you are going to use. Some areas people put down lime because their pH is low. Up here you are more likely to need sulphur. Check with your county extension office on where to send a sample. They used to have special envelopes you could pick up. They may be able to tell you what the pH is generally in your area.

I am doing nothing at this point. The snow really just got melted off up here so the soil will be too wet to work for awhile.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I sent a soil sample in for analysis, found out where I was lacking. I spread some sulphur and iron but haven't been able to get it tilled in just yet. As soon as the ground allows that'll be my next step, hopefully this weekend or next week.

I used A&L great lakes, it was pretty easy to do. And about a week turnaround to get the email.

I use vinegar to kill weeds not weed killer

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Great stuff! No weed killer, got it. The only thing I’ve ever grown were food plots for deer so don’t be surprised if I say plenty of stupid crap.

Last edited:

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I sent a soil sample in for analysis, found out where I was lacking. I spread some sulphur and iron but haven't been able to get it tilled in just yet. As soon as the ground allows that'll be my next step, hopefully this weekend or next week.

I used A&L great lakes, it was pretty easy to do. And about a week turnaround to get the email.

Never tried vinegar as a weed killer. Great idea Jay. I get this Canadian thistle that is very robust and hard to kill.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Never tried vinegar as a weed killer. Great idea Jay. I get this Canadian thistle that is very robust and hard to kill.
    I just mix a couple squirts of dish soap with it and it works good. Just keep in mind it'll kill everything. For stubborn stuff (like thistle) reapply every 5 days.

I omit the salt, because that will effect things you want to grow in the spot

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looks like the strawberries I planted last season survived the winter. Will be interesting to see how they produce this season. Can anyone suggest a good strawberry fertilizer?
    I add a thin layer of composted matter (fruits, veggies, chicken ****, hay, etc) on top of my strawberries at the end of the season. It gets blended in pretty good with the snow melt and spring rains. That's all I do. They come back every year, and most years with all the new runners, I have an even better crop.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    After 1 week from planting seeds I now have lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, sprouted and doing well. They're actually doing much better than I expected at this point. Will be time to start transplanting to bigger pots and move to the greenhouse here real soon.

20210307_194846.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've has a garden for years, but the last few have not been as abundant as I thought it would be.
    Going to ph test the soil this year to see what it's missing.
    I have not started any seeds thus far.

I'll second A&L. A little under $30 Including postage for a comprehensive report with analysis. It gave me explicit instructions how much of what to add and when. Looking forward to a bumper crop this year thanks to their help. I'll definitely use them again.

And I think you may need to use more powerful than just the 5% stuff you buy at the grocery. I tried it once and it didnt do crap. Saw a posting for using it for sanitizing and they said to use 30% industrial grade. I happened to see bottles of that at Lowes yesterday.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    And I think you may need to use more powerful than just the 5% stuff you buy at the grocery. I tried it once and it didnt do crap. Saw a posting for using it for sanitizing and they said to use 30% industrial grade. I happened to see bottles of that at Lowes yesterday.
    Hmm, I've only used the 5% and soap mix, I have a 2x2 dead spot off my back deck where I spilled it last spring. Lol.

I have heard of using the stronger vinegar and I'm sure it would work better, especially for tougher to kill weeds. I always just reapply every 4 or 5 days until it's gone.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I read that after 3 or 4 years of bearing fruit, that it slows down and they die after 5 or 6 years. Is that what you have experienced?
    I have a compost bin that should have some good compost ready this spring.
    My patch is going on its 8th year, but this is where the runners come into play. When they take hold in the soil we transplant them back into the patch. We do this every year so there's always 1 year old plants. Thin out the older/dying ones each year and basically let the patch regenerate itself. We also add a few new plants every 2- 3 years or so that we purchase from our local greenhouse to fill in any areas that are open due to die off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IDK, maybe I just got lucky that it works on my particular weeds. :dunno:

I know it won't work on this violet weed crap I've got taking over the side yard. I have know idea what to use on that stuff.
    My mantra is "green is good". So long as its green and not yellow/transitioning to white. Ive got about a half dozen species growing in between my grass and i'm cool with it so long as its not dandelion. The small flowers are nice at various times of the year.

Top Bottom