• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In other news, Obtuse Taylor is at it again. He had a sound bite on WIBC last night (Paraphrased because I heard this 18 hours ago while driving) "Guns in church are bad. I dont know how they think having a gun in church is a good idea or how they expect to save everyone with a gun."

Unless he is confusing the definition of "saving" in this specific religious context. :):

As usual I yelled at the radio. What an idiot.
    Senator Obtuse, is obtuse.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not concerned about the field trips, but there's apparently a Head Start program at the museum, which technically makes it "school property." Or so I've read on here anyway. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong!
    Children’s Museum is not a church. Until the bill gets the Gov’s autograph having a school on the same property makes it school property. The change (in my view anyway) is a redefinition of of school property related to churches. Church A: lawful to carry. Church across the street: felony. That’s where we are now. HB 1284 changes that among other things.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Children’s Museum is not a church. Until the bill gets the Gov’s autograph having a school on the same property makes it school property. The change (in my view anyway) is a redefinition of of school property related to churches. Church A: lawful to carry. Church across the street: felony. That’s where we are now. HB 1284 changes that among other things.

Understood! Sorry to cause confusion...ignore me, and carry on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Carry at the Children's Museum isn't illegal.

I know there is some concern of interpretation of "in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function", but I'm unaware of how that has been interpreted by the courts for public places that are school field trip destinations. Interpreting that provision to apply to any public place hosting a school field trip would cover any arbitrary public place at any arbitrary time (including the Zoo, at almost any time) - an interpretation so expansive that it a) couldn't have been legislative intent, and b) would be unconstitutionally restrictive even if so.

Concealed means concealed. Just sayin'.

Its a licensed Preschool/Pre-K school which fits the definition in the IC. I know because when my kids were little we looked into it. Hoo boy was it expensive! (at least for us)

https://www.childrensmuseum.org/about/preschool

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Half of my church is armed. It's one of the safest places I can think to be.

A lot are, but half would form a brigade possibly.

Carry at the Children's Museum isn't illegal.

I know there is some concern of interpretation of "in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function", but I'm unaware of how that has been interpreted by the courts for public places that are school field trip destinations. Interpreting that provision to apply to any public place hosting a school field trip would cover any arbitrary public place at any arbitrary time (including the Zoo, at almost any time) - an interpretation so expansive that it a) couldn't have been legislative intent, and b) would be unconstitutionally restrictive even if so.

Concealed means concealed. Just sayin'.

Chip, That is the way I have always understood it. I think there have been discussions here that came to that conclusion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Chip, That is the way I have always understood it. I think there have been discussions here that came to that conclusion.

Somebody didnt follow the link in post 444. :): (TL;DR There is a licensed school in the building. Its a school. It has nothing to do with outside school field trips)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I did read it, and understood that. Thanks.

I was talking about the interpretation that a school field trip will make it off limits.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    First of all, thanks to all working to pass the laws to make things better for all of us. BUT, the effort required to pass this stuff in one of the freest states in the union is unreal and not a good indicator of success in federal law like national right to carry etc.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    First of all, thanks to all working to pass the laws to make things better for all of us. BUT, the effort required to pass this stuff in one of the freest states in the union is unreal and not a good indicator of success in federal law like national right to carry etc.

I think this is what they call 'making the sausage'.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I get that Senator Obtuse is on the other side, but when a bill is a good bill for even your own constituents you have to at least try...

Its almost as painful as listening to Senator Lonny Randolph's speech on the floor re; HB1284 that Guy played on his show. He clearly and blatantly lied.

It gets old, Senators.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The lack of logic and intellect on display at the state House is impressive.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So true, But it will probably happen in his lifetime.

Pete Viscloski is in the same boat. There has never been a viable candidate since I've lived here. Leva the one the Republicans put up last told me when I buttonholed him to see where he stood on issues, told me that he is a 9/11 truther.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Somebody didnt follow the link in post 444. :): (TL;DR There is a licensed school in the building. Its a school. It has nothing to do with outside school field trips)

That has to be the stupidest law in the history of laws. More than constitutional carry, the "gun free school zone" act needs to be the next thing to go. It is utterly ridiculous when an obviously public place can be designated a "school" simply because some room in the basement can be used as a "school", and thereby (unconstitutionally) restrict the rights of the law-abiding in the other 99% of that public place.

Thankfully, my girls have outgrown the Children's Museum.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1651 (strengthens protections under Laird Law) had conference committee reports adopted by both House and Senate today. The vote in the House was 93-1. The one no vote? NAGR's own Curt Nisely. Anybody met this clown?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    HB 1651 (strengthens protections under Laird Law) had conference committee reports adopted by both House and Senate today. The vote in the House was 93-1. The one no vote? NAGR's own Curt Nisely. Anybody met this clown?

Ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner.... NAGR's very own bag man. Way to go voters in district 22. We appreciate your contribution. 93-1, what a shame/sham. Guy mentioned that in all the testimony and meetings he never met Nisely. Nice job Curt...

Top Bottom